Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2014

Babs was never going to get a next-day obituary in England. Wait a couple of weeks, you'll probably get an Independent 1/4-page obit.

Percentage-wise, how big are my chances of getting an obituary for Alice Babs until December 31?

Special announcement? Are we finally getting sponsorship?

Or maybe DDP will be sponsoring somebody else? I imagine Derby County are probably pretty desperate for a shirt sponsor these days.

Btw predictor well done for overtaking me. I'll be back tho, just like Arnie said....

Babs was never going to get a next-day obituary in England. Wait a couple of weeks, you'll probably get an Independent 1/4-page obit.

Percentage-wise, how big are my chances of getting an obituary for Alice Babs until December 31?

0%.

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/6ae56e30-d394-4d18-8118-6a0a2b77eaaf

If you'd listened to the radio shows listened on the right, maybe they would have had some direct mentions to her death. Better start tracking down some recordings.

Latest update is oop!

Is the other update of a different sort we've been waiting for the last week? Hurry up, me lad.

Are we finally sponsoring Fort William Football Club? Are you giving up the ghost-logging? Are we being shut-down? Is it a donation-drive? Have the old bill shut us down?

Sorry for the mindless speculation, I crawl back in my cave.

I'll be back tho, just like Arnie said....
...And we all know how well that turned out...

If you'd listened to the radio shows listened on the right, maybe they would have had some direct mentions to her death. Better start tracking down some recordings.

Thanks, but those look like tracks rather than radio shows. Btw, don’t newspapers usually write articles towards the end of the year where they mention notable people that died said year?

Latest update is oop!

Is the other update of a different sort we've been waiting for the last week? Hurry up, me lad.

Are we finally sponsoring Fort William Football Club? Are you giving up the ghost-logging? Are we being shut-down? Is it a donation-drive? Have the old bill shut us down?

Re: getting shut down.... probably not!

However if the trend of people stuffing their teams with young cancer (and other similarly horrible illnesses) victims (who weren't even remotely famous before they got told it was terminal) continues and grows, and next year half the top forty picks consists of that said-type of person, maybe that day won't be as far off as you might think?

I mean seriously. Especially female, UK-based ones - they're the ones that are really asking for trouble from certain..... outrage-based outlets which most DLers and DDPers generally tend to despise. Do I really have to spell it out any more?

Just a thought, guys (and girls...), maybe use your brains a bit next time?

Latest update is oop!

However if the trend of people stuffing their teams with young cancer (and other similarly horrible illnesses) victims (who weren't even remotely famous before they got told it was terminal) continues and grows, and next year half the top forty picks consists of that said-type of person, maybe that day won't be as far off as you might think?

I mean seriously. Especially female, UK-based ones - they're the ones that are really asking for trouble from certain..... outrage-based outlets which most DLers and DDPers generally tend to despise. Do I really have to spell it out any more?

I suppose one way of dealing with that particular issue would be the DDP admin of the time (I'm convinced the announcement is TMIB's retirement, he's hinted at it in the recent past) emailing each of the proposed picks/their press manager (probably not Max Clifford these days) and asking for their permission to be included. The outrage factor would disappear fast if we were deadpooling by consent.

Latest update is oop!

I suppose one way of dealing with that particular issue would be the DDP admin of the time (I'm convinced the announcement is TMIB's retirement, he's hinted at it in the recent past) emailing each of the proposed picks/their press manager (probably not Max Clifford these days) and asking for their permission to be included. The outrage factor would disappear fast if we were deadpooling by consent.

You didn't have your Weetabix this morning did you.....

Latest update is oop!

You didn't have your Weetabix this morning did you.....

I don't see the problem, obviously you'd have to close entries a bit earlier than we do currently but we'd have a clear conscience and be able to plough ahead.

I just realised, I forgot to point out that the beginning of July means half-way point of the year, and thus half-time in this competition.

Shouldn't someone hand out oranges and cups of water?

I just realised, I forgot to point out that the beginning of July means half-way point of the year, and thus half-time in this competition.

Shouldn't someone hand out oranges and cups of water?

Surely given the recent heat we should be due a water break any minute now.

I didn't know any DDPers were pregnant..

Called It

Sad to see you retire from the position TMIB you've done an excellent job in the short time I've been a participant. Hope you plan to stick around the forums with a little bit of the extra spare time you've got on your hands!

Thanks so much, tmib, for a sound job well done and carried out with grace and humour.

I'll just add my 'Thanks' too - you've done a great job - Has it really been five years?

Well done Man in Black -I may be new to this but can see you have done a fantastic job !Make sure you enjoy a long and fulfilled retirement filled with morbid ponderings!

TMIB undoubtedly the GOAT for all this, credit to a man who has had to create so many painful puns over the years. Provided more entertainment for me than any other internet sites. Any particular names already being floated for webmaster?

TMIB undoubtedly the GOAT for all this, credit to a man who has had to create so many painful puns over the years. Provided more entertainment for me than any other internet sites. Any particular names already being floated for webmaster?

Look, I know we don't observe mourning periods for long but even here I feel like slapping a WP:TOOSOON notice on that question.

(It's gonna be mpfc, Rotten Ali or Death Impends though)

Even if I've only partook in the pool for two years there's no doubt to the props for your efforts in running the pool. Be sure to enjoy your retirement, definitely well deserved.

• Like 1

Question to whoever takes over the site: Could you make the scoreboard so that theme teams are seperated from main teams? I mean, theme teams are not really meant to compete with main teams so why put them on the same table? Or at least highlight them with another colour.

Top marks going out to TMIB.

Class act.

No way I could carry it off for one year let alone five.

Thanks.

Well done TMIB. I am really sad to see you retire as the host of the DDP. :(

• Like 1

Well done TMIB. I am really sad to see you retire as the host of the DDP. :(

Yeah, I'm going to miss the Commie bastard. :(

There doesn't seem to be a crying emoticon available.... (although hopefully it won't be too hard to find someone who will have similarly good stewardship and make me look silly for saying that).

Failing that, TMIB if I win the lottery or something like that, would you stay on if I paid you to do it? ;):lol:

I do hope that TMIB is leaving out of a sense of "I've taken this team as far as I can" rather than nervous exhaustion from too many hours of "does this count as an obituary?" emails. If his replacement handles the DDP with half the dignity when dealing with a bunch of whining ambulance chasers he does, we'll be in good hands.

Thanks for hosting the DDP, Man in Black (that'll be the Johnny Cash song in my head for the next 2 hours now) and good luck to the successor.