Sign in to follow this  
wildstorm

Ingvar Kamprad

Ingvar Kamprad, founder of a small, family-owned, neighbourhood furniture store called IKEA (You might've heard of it).

According to this article (Warning: Swedish) he wants to relocate back to his hometown, due to health reasons. Although he claims there aren't any 'serious' health issues, it's said that he's been cared for by doctors for most of his adult life.

He also stepped down as chairman of IKEA a few months ago. It's not necessarily health related, but here are some other tidbits: He's a former heavy-alcoholic, he was fitted with pacemaker a few years ago, was really broken up over the death of his wife in late 2011, and turns 88 in March 2014.

I was gonna keep him as a unique pick for 2014, but I just love sharing.

Discuss:

Is he one to watch out for in the coming year?
Think he's a contender for the Official DL 2014 line-up?
Or will he stick around a while longer?

He doesn't want to relocate to Sweden because of his "bad health". Rather, he wanted to return to Sweden but was stopped because of his health. Reason for returning? To live closer to his family and friends.

You say that "it's said that he's been cared for by doctors for most of his adult life."

But the original text actually says "Ingvar Kamprad has lived and been cared for by doctors in Switzerland for most of his adult life."

The "most of his adult life" part refers to him using Swiss doctors, rather than him being sick all the time. I think...

"It's just natural for him to use the same doctor, so a move will happen next year instead", says his spokesperson.

On the other hand, it also says that he's had back problems for some time.

This interview from when he was 82 tells us the following:

*He got prostate cancer at 75

*He uses a tobacco called snus

*He doesn't excersize much

*His memory is getting worse

According to this 2012 article, he's also battled against pneumonia.

He doesn't want to relocate to Sweden because of his "bad health". Rather, he wanted to return to Sweden but was stopped because of his health. Reason for returning? To live closer to his family and friends.

You say that "it's said that he's been cared for by doctors for most of his adult life."

But the original text actually says "Ingvar Kamprad has lived and been cared for by doctors in Switzerland for most of his adult life."

The "most of his adult life" part refers to him using Swiss doctors, rather than him being sick all the time. I think...

"It's just natural for him to use the same doctor, so a move will happen next year instead", says his spokesperson.

Thanks for the correction/clarity (you must be using a much better translating program than the one I have).

Though, switching my statement from "he's going home because of bad health" to "he's unable to go home because of bad health" doesn't hinder my decision to include him on my list next year.

Also, good catch on the line about the 'back problems', I originally glazed over that statement without a second thought.

Thanks for the correction/clarity (you must be using a much better translating program than the one I have).

Though, switching my statement from "he's going home because of bad health" to "he's unable to go home because of bad health" doesn't hinder my decision to include him on my list next year.

Also, good catch on the line about the 'back problems', I originally glazed over that statement without a second thought.

I'm Swedish so no translation needed. :D English, on the other hand...I kinda struggle with this language sometimes.. :o

• Like 3

Or could it be that Predictor, previously known as Swede Predictor, could in fact be, well, Swedish?

Or could it be that Predictor, previously known as Swede Predictor, could in fact be, well, Swedish?

Nope, can't be that.

:ph34r:

I'm Swedish so no translation needed. :DEnglish, on the other hand...I kinda struggle with this language sometimes.. :o

So do some of our English contributors!

If he is alive 11 months from now I think the committee should consider him.

If he is alive 11 months from now I think the committee should consider him.

The same 'committee' that chose Mary Tyler Moore over Patrick Harrington Jr?

15 minutes ago, Predictor said:

He's died at the age of 91. :(

Source? 

coffin.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Confirmed as far as I know Paul, wasn't the first to on fitba forum, Swedish based boy was. Assume its in media there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, charon said:

coffin.jpg

its not like anyone will follow the instructions anyway..

There are still a couple ingenious thread tag lines, but the tag line for this right up there for sure.  Brilliant!
SC

2 hours ago, charon said:

coffin.jpg

Kick out one of the side panels you have a ULINE workstation.  Pretty sure that is how all IKEA crap is designed.
A complete aside....Sir Creep used to do competitive intelligence research in the office furniture industry, mid 1990s.
SC

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Kick out one of the side panels you have a ULINE workstation.  Pretty sure that is how all IKEA crap is designed.
A complete aside....Sir Creep used to do competitive intelligence research in the office furniture industry, mid 1990s.
SC

Thought you would be bumming ikea left right and centre SC,  as Sweden loves ice hockey. 

Anyway, here is my fav palace purchase from Ikea. 

mugabe-sleeping.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never been in an IKEA, although there is one not too far away from me.  (13.8 miles, according to Google Maps.)

• Like 1

No intent to hijack a thread....so this is my only comment and no further response will be forthcoming.  I just don't understand the connection between Sir Creep and ice hockey, but I'll leave that to your tiny little mind.  It would be mildly amusing if there was any connection whatsoever.  I thought the University Presidents was my bailiwick.  It's not like I post most of the hockey deaths....so I don't get it.  OK, as you were.

SC

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

I've never been in an IKEA, although there is one not too far away from me.  (13.8 miles, according to Google Maps.)

It's trash dorm room furniture.  Period.  Anyone putting that pressboard garbage in their home should be taken out and shot on sight.  How dude became a billionaire--assuming it was from IKEA and not prior to IKEA--is beyond my comprehension.  You should walk through that place and start laughing.  Nothing to see here.  Oh maybe they have a nice throw pillow or summat.

SC