Grim Reaper

Javier Perez De Cuellar

From Wikiknowitall

On December 31, 1981, Pérez de Cuéllar succeeded Kurt Waldheim as Secretary-General and was re-elected for a second term in October 1986. During his two terms, he led mediations between Britain and Argentina in the aftermath of the Falklands War and promoted the efforts of the Contadora Group to bring peace and stability to Central America. He also interceded in the negotiations for the independence of Namibia, the conflict in Western Sahara between Morocco and the Polisario Front, and the Cyprus issue. He also presided in 1986 an international arbitration committee that ruled [1] on the Rainbow Warrior incident between New Zealand and France.

When looking at this thread I wondered why noone had posted anything on it. Doing a bit of Research I came across the Club Madrid which is an organisation of former heads of state which promotes democratic ideals (and inadvertantly potential deathlist picks)

Javier is the second oldest current member the oldest being the former Chilian President Patricio Aylwin Azócar (b.1918)

When looking at this thread I wondered why noone had posted anything on it. Doing a bit of Research I came across the Club Madrid which is an organisation of former heads of state which promotes democratic ideals (and inadvertantly potential deathlist picks)

Javier is the second oldest current member the oldest being the former Chilian President Patricio Aylwin Azócar (b.1918)

It's because he's one of the dullest DL picks of all time. :)

Well, definitely the internet era anyway. I mean come on, most golfers have more interesting material/backstories/personality than these diplomat-type people...

The best thing you can say is he looks kind of a cross between Brains and David Frost. Or.... maybe Sepp Blatter.......

Also if you look at some of his pics on Google Image Search he doesn't always looks like he's all quite there. Which I suppose is not surprising in such a high ranking member of the UN given his age.

I like the fact that this thread has 7 posts. (Well 8 now).

It probably just about matches the exact number of times anyone ever heard of him during his scintillating time as head of the UN in the 1980s.

I have to confess he was the one of the three "who the fuck is that?" DL choices in my mind when I first skimmed the list.

Bit of a pointless Secretary General of the UN. As a Deathlist pick I would always put the vastly more facially challenged Boutros Boutros Ghalli ahead of JPdC. But who's to say they won't die on the same day five years from now?

I have to confess he was the one of the three "who the fuck is that?" DL choices in my mind when I first skimmed the list.

Who were the others?

Joost Van Der Westhuizen and Shaw Taylor.

95 today.

95 today.

One of the youngest and best looking of this years top 50, then!

95 today.

One of the youngest and best looking of this years top 50, then!

For sure. And one of the most interesting... :scratchhead:

His exciting life continues...

Somehow I missed that he was among those who were discovered through "Swissleaks" to have a secret Swiss bank account at HSBC:

http://peru21.pe/politica/javier-perez-cuellar-nego-estar-vinculado-escandalo-bancario-2211819

But, according to the article "Javier Pérez de Cuéllar, que a los 95 años tiene problemas de memoria, dijo no recordar si tuvo otras cuentas en Suiza." His age has weakened his memory so much that he can't remember whether he had other accounts there as well...

who-are-you-again.png?w=500

Guest Droosy

His exciting life continues...

Somehow I missed that he was among those who were discovered through "Swissleaks" to have a secret Swiss bank account at HSBC:

http://peru21.pe/politica/javier-perez-cuellar-nego-estar-vinculado-escandalo-bancario-2211819

But, according to the article "Javier Pérez de Cuéllar, que a los 95 años tiene problemas de memoria, dijo no recordar si tuvo otras cuentas en Suiza." His age has weakened his memory so much that he can't remember whether he had other accounts there as well...

Sorry, but this man and, especially, his medical condition is as exciting as the UN itself

I did not realise that the rate is on to replace Ban Ki Moon when his term of office ends on 31st December 2016.

Apparently Helen Clark the former Prime Minister of New Zealand is among the early favorites.

I did not realise that the rate is on to replace Ban Ki Moon when his term of office ends on 31st December 2016.

Apparently Helen Clark the former Prime Minister of New Zealand is among the early favorites.

Why not the (soon former) President of Estonia, Toomas Hendrik Ilves?

97 today. I found that by Peru-sing Wiki.

• Like 5

97 today. I found that by Peru-sing Wiki.

Oh, when I saw this updated...

• Like 1