Grim Reaper

Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Hopefully he is not this years Fergie Fredriksen

He is a South African rugby player and is not a well man, I have him on my DDP

Diagnosed with ALS in 2011 and given 2-5 years to live, now in a wheelchair, would keep an eye on him even if he does last out the year

Guest groomr

Joost was one of the finest scrum halves to play the game, phenomenal talent, great vision for the game. Instrumental in the South African victory at RWC '95. Sad end for a great player.

He's determined to stay alive for a while yet.

Not sure how much control he has on that, however he claims "there is nothing wrong with [his] brain or [his] heart" and also recently announced "that he has decided to be artificially ventilated when his lungs are no longer able to function on their own".

He's as stubborn as Zsa Zsa.

Not sure how much control he has on that, however he claims "there is nothing wrong with [his] brain or [his] heart" and also recently announced "that he has decided to be artificially ventilated when his lungs are no longer able to function on their own".

If he lives as long as her it would be a fucking miracle.

• Like 1

I know that once you get artificially ventilated for extended period of time your chances of pneumonia and other illnesses skyrocket , i would say he has a 50/50 chance of dying this year .

http://www.iol.co.za...99#.U4KAvjMo-70 - He is still fighting but losing weight despite eating lots which is surely a bad sign indeed!When he does go surely his caption will have to be "give me joost a little more time"? I know it isn`t phonetically correct but it reads well.

It is phonetically correct if your Scottish .

The most surprising thing is doctors have said there will be a cure in 4 years. I find this hard to believe they still don't know what causes it .

I'm pretty sure i know what causes it though (working in the medical field myself i take an interest in stuff like this). The neuron's get overloaded and they're slowly turned off by the brain to protect them,the brian doesn't have a automatic restart for this. Probably the reason many athletes get this disease, or a part of the brain switches off the neuron's slowly (usually caused by a blow to the head) as a way to reset the brain and protect the body and a simple operation on the brain (if we can locate this part of the brain responsible for shutting off the neurons) could simply turn back on the connection (this won't help the neurons that have already died off though).

If you think of your brain as a computer and think of safety cut out switches and shutting down due to being overloaded/overheated and MND as a consequence of these things it becomes alot more clearer and makes more sense. I'm still surprised to this day there hasn't been any trials ,tests ,experiments etc as to why a large proportion of athletes get this disease . I searched the internet many times and visited a few MND forums and nothing , even some of the sufferers are asking why a large percentage of those diagnosed are athletes . I'm more than positive the beginning of a cure lies there.

There is a cure but only Stephen Hawking is rich enough to afford it for now

• Like 2

-Does the ALS ice bucket challenge. Looks very thin but in good spirits.

-Does the ALS ice bucket challenge. Looks very thin but in good spirits.

Looks good considering noticed he is not able to move much now but is still breathing independently so he could make next year .

This is literally the stupidest thing ever. People with ALS doing the ALS ice-bucket challenge.

We're ready for the missiles now, Vladimir. Fire.

• Like 2

Guest Rob in Hartford

Really saddened and shocked to hear this about Joost. Wish him all the best.

http://carteblanche.dstv.com/player/617534/

update from September 2nd looks quite good considering.I think he will make it to next year now. He was quite muscular and in shape so his muscles may take longer to atrophy.

It will be his 5th year next year and people with ALS are given 2 to 5 years. Will he beat the odds and survive to 2016 ?

Guy behind him working the remote control ?

Guy behind him working the remote control ?

I think he's trying to access his 2015 DDP List. :duck:

• Like 1

24echzb.jpg

He doesn't look too bad here, but god this is bleak

His face looks so gaunt and strained .His face is gaunt and it appears he can`t control facial expressions.I would give him 12 months.

24echzb.jpg

He doesn't look too bad here, but god this is bleak

His face looks so gaunt and strained .His face is gaunt and it appears he can`t control facial expressions.I would give him 12 months.

Is the guy behind him working a remote control for his legs?

Is he morphing into comedian Ryan Stiles ?

ryan-stiles.gif

• Like 1