Grim Reaper

Joost Van Der Westhuizen

It's probably going to take longer than we thought.

Responding well to loved ones now but still stable n critical as before.

Not sure that's an update saying he's coming round or he's getting the chance to say bye because he's definitely not

I think it's the former. You don't say responding unless something posiyive is happening.

What he lost he can not reacquire. They can keep him alive on machines for days, weeks, months but he won't get any better.

• Like 1

Have to say it sounds like the classic death watch to me. Could be a few days depending on how fast the toxins build up and what steps they are prepared to take to intervene.

Expected to wake up and find out he died.

Hmm, well, he's surely a goner before his birthday.

Tick-tock tick-tock...

Well... the ...I don't know... "interior muscular apparatus" must have become too weak for living by now. Every breath must be a fight. I don't know what else can collapse out of muscular weakness... It will be over soon.

Dead now

On Saturday, the foundation posted on its Facebook page that the former Springbok captain had been admitted to hospital. He was placed on life support after his key organs began to fail late on Friday as a result of the effects of motor neuron disease.

Timeslive

Sad news.

RIP Joost.

• Like 2

Not unexpected but very very sad.:(

• Like 1

Indeed, sad. I wasn't entirely convinced that sports related ALS could kill. I suspected that you suffer severely from it but don't die from it. I only picked him because statistics told me to and because of something his ex-wife said.

Indeed, sad. I wasn't entirely convinced that sports related ALS could kill. I suspected that you suffer severely from it but don't die from it. I only picked him because statistics told me to and because of something his ex-wife said.

Going by the Serie A players, it tends to have a 5 year survival rate in footballers. Joost lasted a long time though.