Sign in to follow this  
Davey Jones' Locker

Deathlist 2014

Which choices were inspired? Which were foolish? Which obvious picks have been missed? How drunk were the committee when they compiled this year's list?

All of the numbers are the same from last year. I was hoping we'd get an appearance from "72" this year, as I suggested in the Ideas thread, but it seems the committee have gone for the numbers one to fifty yet again. :D

• Like 2

Bit early to start this thread, no?

"Can't believe the world's most eminent authority on lobsters didn't make the list. This year will be a stinker."

"This pick's great-grandfather rose from the dead last night to tell me that the pick's cancer is in remission, I'm sorry I couldn't have shared this with you beforehand!"

• Like 3

I am mildly disappointed that Clive and Gough are the only two Aussies on the list again. Would have been good to have Brabham, Bart Cummings or even Rolf debut on there.

It would have been fun to see Gudrun Ure on there, too. Maybe next year if she is still around...

Nice to see a few punts on classic Hollywood with Lauren Bacall joining Mickey Rooney and Olivia de Havilland, even if none of them have known heath issues, despite their ages...

Do we really think Casey Kasem will get a UK obit? He seems like a bit of a risk to me.

I am mildly disappointed that Clive and Gough are the only two Aussies on the list again. Would have been good to have Brabham, Bart Cunnings or even Rolf on there.

It would have been fun to see Gudrun Ure on there, too. Maybe next year if she is still around...

Nice to see a few punts on classic Hollywood with Lauren Bacall joining Mickey Rooney and Olivia de Havilland, even if neither have known heath issues, despite their ages...

Do we really think Casey Kasem will get a UK obit? He seems like a bit of a risk to me.

Yea i think so daily mail have had about 3 stories on him .

Surprised there is no tony benn or general jaruzelski .

I am mildly disappointed that Clive and Gough are the only two Aussies on the list again. Would have been good to have Brabham, Bart Cummings or even Rolf debut on there.

Nice to see a few punts on classic Hollywood with Lauren Bacall joining Mickey Rooney and Olivia de Havilland, even if none of them have known heath issues, despite their ages...

He was the voice of Shaggy in Scooby-doo. He'll piss that obit...

• Like 3

Probably a good call to leave ex-Pope Benedict off for this year. Retirement seems to have done him the world of good.

Not sure Prince Philip will go either but he is a bit of a staple on these lists. I think his gradual decline will start to pick up speed though, with increasingly long and serious periods of hospitalisation.

Tell me, though, o DL Committee, was there any temptation to sneak Schumi or Brian May on at the last minute?

A strange mix of gambles and conservative picks this year _I think it may well pay off but cant understand why Jaruzelski has been omitted he was one of last years strongest candidates!

• Like 1

I do like the fact that there are more risks. As mentioned above, it is great to see a big name like Lauren Bacall make her debut, even when we know next to nothing about her health.

I'm likewise surprised by no Jaruzelski or Benn. I think besides Jaru though everyone that was a definite keeper returned.

Plenty of good names, Wilko, Simon, Harper, Joost, Kasem... Also like seeing Luise Rainer (kind of assumed she just wasn't viewed as "DeathList"-y since she stayed off well into her 100s) and Sid Caesar as well. Some lower-list names seem real healthy but I suppose the same could be said for last year and that did very well via the unhealthier picks.

• Like 2

Solid selections all around other then DVD and Tony Bennett since they seem healthy enough to see 2014 out and they are not iconic enough to be a list staple like Biggs,Domino,Prince Phillip etc

By my estimations, folk dropped from 2013.

15 25 2 Hosni Mubarak 85 Former Egyptian President 245 posts

25 5 2 Harper Lee 87 Author 27 posts

26 2 Bob Dole 90 Politican 46 posts

34 2 Richard Attenborough 90 Film director 95 posts

36 Richard Adams 93 Watership Down author 9 posts

38 3 Nancy Reagan 92 Actress 169 posts

40 Doris Day 91 Actress 36 posts

42 23 4 General Jaruzelski 90 ex Polish PM 54 posts

43 36 3 Henry Kissinger 90 Diplomat 47 posts

44 Pete Seeger 94 Protest singer 20 posts

45 Nicholas Parsons 90 TV quiz show host 41 posts

46 Elaine Stritch 88 Actress 27 posts

48 2 James Garner 85 Jim Rockford 35 posts

Most of which seems fairly sensible - minus the General.

Guest TheNashNetwork

I'm surprised Jackie Stallone didn't make the list.

I'm surprised Jackie Stallone didn't make the list.

she is actually more plastic than human so she doesn't qualify.

Guest Steve

Omitting Jaruzelski was a collosal mistake. Who's on this DeathList committee anyway?

Grammar Nazi strikes again.

Also, only half of the candidates can have appeared on the previous year’s list. DeathList 2013 had a powerful finish, finally ending with a total of 13 successes.

Grammar_Nazis____The_Motivator_by_ZlayaHozyayka.jpg

Speaking of Nazi's I suppose Mel Gibsons dad was too obscure to possibly pick even though he is that magic number of 95 where a lot of low hanging fruit seem to fall off.

Guest Davey Jones' Locker

I don't know about "too obscure". Given the controversies he has kicked up in his own right, let alone his influence on his boy, he should get an obit when he goes.

Good list. I liked the Simon inclusion. Very surprised that Jaruzelski was left oft. I was expecting him in the top 10.

Probably a good call to leave ex-Pope Benedict off for this year. Retirement seems to have done him the world of good.

Not sure Prince Philip will go either but he is a bit of a staple on these lists. I think his gradual decline will start to pick up speed though, with increasingly long and serious periods of hospitalisation.

Tell me, though, o DL Committee, was there any temptation to sneak Schumi or Brian May on at the last minute?

Schumi was discussed until 8pm 31-Dec. Brian May didn't get mentioned.

• Like 1