Sign in to follow this  
Davey Jones' Locker

Deathlist 2014

Just had a brief look at the previous years' lists.

In 2007 they had to wait until early July for a third hit! Jesus. (That's not including some of the early years where there were less than 50 names, btw). That's the worst I could find, I'm sure if there's a more extreme example someone will correct me. Let's hope we don't have to wait that long.

Although on the other side of that, there were then 4 more subsequent hits in July. Maybe that's some kind of omen. Like I said before, I think there will be a big summer... "sale". :glare:

• Like 1

Guest Guest

I hate to be the voice of doom but unless there's a 3rd hit by saturday this will be the joint worst year for deathlist (with 2007) this century .You have to go back to 1997 for there to be fewer than 2 hits by mid june .Surely things have to pick up soon ! :banghead:

I think we'll get ten hits this year on top of the two already and they'll be:

• Billy Graham
  • Fidel Castro
  • Prince Philip
  • Vera Lynn
  • Stan Lee
  • Shaw Taylor
  • Ian Paisley
  • Luise Rainer
  • Casey Kasem
  • Dennis Healey

Also as a side note the average age of Deathlist hits is 82, which makes Casey Kasem the best bet. Maybe next year we should pick fifty 82 year olds and work on the law of probability.

I think we'll get ten hits this year on top of the two already and they'll be:

• Billy Graham
  • Fidel Castro
  • Prince Philip
  • Vera Lynn
  • Stan Lee
  • Shaw Taylor
  • Ian Paisley
  • Luise Rainer
  • Casey Kasem
  • Dennis Healey

Also as a side note the average age of Deathlist hits is 82, which makes Casey Kasem the best bet. Maybe next year we should pick fifty 82 year olds and work on the law of probability.

Only 2 on that list have been reported to be in poor health in the last 6 months - Casey Kasem and Billy Graham. Wouldn't bet on the others popping it.

Stan Lee, DR? Don't be a twit. His inclusion is one of the worst decisions since....... since that time they forgot to pick our pal Wojjjjje.......Woij... that Polish guy with the sunglasses. Oh wait that was this year too....

This front page sucks! Kasem died in June, not May! And still no description for Rooney and Caesar. This is really... :smiley_f:

Given the abysmall choice by our DL Commitee this year perhaps we could move to a more democratic system next year with everybody suggesting names and then the 300 most popular, suggested by the most people, thrown into a poll on the forum a few weeks before the end of December where we all pick 50 on a public poll?

Given the abysmall choice by our DL Commitee this year perhaps we could move to a more democratic system next year with everybody suggesting names and then the 300 most popular, suggested by the most people, thrown into a poll on the forum a few weeks before the end of December where we all pick 50 on a public poll?

Bunch of bollocks. That is the DL equivalent of AV. Which presumably caused you to have a mini-riot in your suburb of Birmingham when it didn't pass!

• Like 1

No, democracy's out of fashion, mate. Just ask the Yanks.

P. S. - you only have one out of sixty from the three lists in your footer, so who is the more abysmal at picking these things?

• Like 1

Sure. Post a link to the site once you've set it up.

Guest Guest

Well at least things are looking up.We're now better than or equal to 9 of the 26 previous years by june 15, as opposed to 5 if Casey Kasem hadn't died.

On a pro-rata basis we will be looking at a total of either 6 or 7 deaths for the year. I think this would be harsh looking at the talent on the list so I am going to pick 5 who I think should deliver the goods:

1. Billy Graham
  2. Zsa Zsa Gabor
  3. Joao Havelange
  4. Clive James
  5. Kirk Douglas

There are another couple who might get us up to double figures but I do not think we are on for a bumper year.

Guest Guest

Having carefully studied latest news reports of the surviving listees I have concluded that the following people from the list have a realistic possibility of dying this year.You can pretty much discount the rest.(barring an unexpected accident or something) :

Billy Graham

Zsa Zsa Gabor (possibly)

Gough Whitlam

Chapman Pincher

Luise Rainer

Joaoa Havelange

Olivia de Haviland (possibly)

ian Paisley

Peter Sallis

Abe Vigoda

Denis Norden (possibly)

Patrick Macnee

BB King

Fats Domino

Guest Guest

On further reflection I suppose I could add Eli Wallach and Fidel Castro in as well as an outside bet.Maybe even Denis Healey

With most terminally ills (except possibly Simon and James) unwilling to comply we'll pretty much need a huge burst in the 90-something bubble if we're to hit double digits this year. I still think there's a chance of that happening though there'll probably need to be an eventful summer for it to be possible.

I think DL 2014 has had a bit of poor luck so far this year. It's turning out a bit like 2011. The really old famous people are just clinging on like limpets. And DL fans are just finding it hard to take after the highs of 2012 and 2013.

Also, I have a little bit of a problem with this list that I won't go into in public. It's not my favourite....... in fact I've thought of a bit of an allegory or comparison/whatever between the composition of this year's list, and a certain event, or events, in fairly recent British history. Not gonna say it here though 'cause it would be bashing the committee too much to say it "out loud" so to speak, perhaps another time or place.

I guess one could make a list of people on the list who are definitely going to survive this year (that is, if they still die, it's not for the reason they were put on the list). For example, Michael Schumacher might still choke on a pretzel, but he will not die as a consequence of his accident. People like Michael Douglas last year, either he dies now, or much later.

Anyway, such a list would look like this:

Wilko Johnson (apparently beat cancer)

Valerie Harper (apparently beat cancer)

Vera Lynn (enjoying her comeback more than a 97 year old woman should)

George Bush Sr. (his health scare late last year didn't kill him)

Charles Aznavour (still uber-active)

Possibly Clive James who has been on an apparently neverending farewell tour

I guess one could make a list of people on the list who are definitely going to survive this year (that is, if they still die, it's not for the reason they were put on the list). For example, Michael Schumacher might still choke on a pretzel, but he will not die as a consequence of his accident. People like Michael Douglas last year, either he dies now, or much later.

You mean in late 2012. ;)

Also I'd like to point out the mild insanity of saying a 97 year old woman will definitely survive the year....

Also I'd like to point out the mild insanity of saying a 97 year old woman will definitely survive the year....

Well, I assume that Vera Lynn is on the list solely because of her age. However, since she's recording a comeback album right now, I'd say that it's extremely unlikely that she'll die because of the frailty usually associated with old age. She could still get a cold which leads to pneunomia and death, but not because of, let's say, the generally poor health condition that comes with old age.

Edit: I couldn't find out if the recording process is already over or not.

Well, I assume that Vera Lynn is on the list solely because of her age. However, since she's recording a comeback album right now, I'd say that it's extremely unlikely that she'll die because of the frailty usually associated with old age. She could still get a cold which leads to pneunomia and death, but not because of, let's say, the generally poor health condition that comes with old age.

Edit: I couldn't find out if the recording process is already over or not.

She isn't recording..... I don't think anyway. You've most likely confused "new album" with "new material".......I strongly suspect that it is simply a re-release of old material, or perhaps old unreleased material, not new recordings....

Ah, now I see, you're indeed correct. It's just another "Ultimate Collection"

You missed the point, we could do it with the poll feature on this site and the thread system.

In defence of the DL Committee, the failure of the Deathrace to provide a winner within the first six months of the year demonstrates that the deaths that have occurred have been often off radar ones Kate O' Mara, Bob Hoskins, Sam Kelly, Bob Crowe, Rik Mayell etc. However I do not think that the list was as good as last years.

That said I do not think that democratising the Deathlist selection process would have any benefits, I think that it would just weed out leftfield choices that may sometimes pay off (e.g. Peter O' Toole). I am disappointed we missed out on Tony Benn and General J but with only 5/60 in my DDP teams I am going to let the long game play out and not cast any stones.

• Like 1

You missed the point, we could do it with the poll feature on this site and the thread system.

I think you've missed the point of what DL is.

You want to change it into something different - an elected list (Death Factor?), which may be fine as an idea for another site but not for DL.

(Just my opinion of course)

• Like 2

In defence of the DL Committee, the failure of the Deathrace to provide a winner within the first six months of the year demonstrates that the deaths that have occurred have been often off radar ones Kate O' Mara, Bob Hoskins, Sam Kelly, Bob Crowe, Rik Mayell etc. However I do not think that the list was as good as last years.

That said I do not think that democratising the Deathlist selection process would have any benefits, I think that it would just weed out leftfield choices that may sometimes pay off (e.g. Peter O' Toole). I am disappointed we missed out on Tony Benn and General J but with only 5/60 in my DDP teams I am going to let the long game play out and not cast any stones.

I think also as you said alot of deaths this year no one really saw coming. Definitely a year for surprise deaths and i can see that continuing , maybe we will get 2 or 3 of who we thought would go like sam simon , bill graham etc but i think another 2 or 3 off the radar deaths will happen during the second half of 2014. So a combination of that with this years deathlist not being the best = 3 hits in nearly 7 months.