Sign in to follow this  
Davey Jones' Locker

Deathlist 2014

In defence of the DL Committee, the failure of the Deathrace to provide a winner within the first six months of the year demonstrates that the deaths that have occurred have been often off radar ones Kate O' Mara, Bob Hoskins, Sam Kelly, Bob Crowe, Rik Mayell etc. However I do not think that the list was as good as last years.

That said I do not think that democratising the Deathlist selection process would have any benefits, I think that it would just weed out leftfield choices that may sometimes pay off (e.g. Peter O' Toole). I am disappointed we missed out on Tony Benn and General J but with only 5/60 in my DDP teams I am going to let the long game play out and not cast any stones.

I think also as you said alot of deaths this year no one really saw coming. Definitely a year for surprise deaths and i can see that continuing , maybe we will get 2 or 3 of who we thought would go like sam simon , bill graham etc but i think another 2 or 3 off the radar deaths will happen during the second half of 2014. So a combination of that with this years deathlist not being the best = 3 hits in nearly 7 months.

And surprise non-deaths .... at least so far.

• Like 1

We have this bollocks every bloody year, 'boohoo the list is shit this year' - so what? IT'S A FUCKING GAME, and one with no prizes at that! What possible benefit would it bring you if all 50 names died in January, NOBODY GIVES A SHIT so save your breath or shit off back to fucking Facebook.

• Like 6

Seriously, if you want a "democratized DeathList" so desperately just look toward the DDP's Drop 40...

• Like 1

It's funny. Deathray seems to be literally the only non-UKIP supporter in the entire fucking country who is excited about the concept of democracy (and who believes voting for something can do wonders) at the moment..... everyone else is just like "Fuck off, can't be arsed!"

It's funny. Deathray seems to be literally the only non-UKIP supporter in the entire fucking country who is excited about the concept of democracy (and who believes voting can do wonders) at the moment..... everyone else is just like "Fuck off, can't be arsed!"

If you want to get into my actual political belief system, I'm a fan of extreme localist democracy where almost everything is devolved to a town area or rurual area level where decisions are undertaken on a referendum basis and through direct discussion, and there's yearly elections, with a national government for issues that can only be dealt with on a national level (military, foreign intervention, diplomatic relations etc). But this has very little bearing on anything I ever do online.

In terms of the current voting system, voting is about as a hooker in a nursery.

Okey doke.... was I correct when I guessed Birmingham? I'm thinking maybe that's what riled you into calling me a cunt and all that other stuff on the other thread a few days ago........ if not please do tell, I'd love to know which provincial pisshole you call home.

Maybe it's Brighton? You would fit in so well there. Plenty of green Commies like you, and plenty of nutters too. And plenty of overlap between the two. I was (un?)lucky enough to spend some time there a couple of years ago. The scars, oh god the scars.....

I guess one could make a list of people on the list who are definitely going to survive this year (that is, if they still die, it's not for the reason they were put on the list). For example, Michael Schumacher might still choke on a pretzel, but he will not die as a consequence of his accident. People like Michael Douglas last year, either he dies now, or much later.

Anyway, such a list would look like this:

Wilko Johnson (apparently beat cancer)

Valerie Harper (apparently beat cancer)

Vera Lynn (enjoying her comeback more than a 97 year old woman should)

George Bush Sr. (his health scare late last year didn't kill him)

Charles Aznavour (still uber-active)

Possibly Clive James who has been on an apparently neverending farewell tour

You mean in late 2012. ;)

Also I'd like to point out the mild insanity of saying a 97 year old woman will definitely survive the year....

Well, I assume that Vera Lynn is on the list solely because of her age. However, since she's recording a comeback album right now, I'd say that it's extremely unlikely that she'll die because of the frailty usually associated with old age. She could still get a cold which leads to pneunomia and death, but not because of, let's say, the generally poor health condition that comes with old age.

Edit: I couldn't find out if the recording process is already over or not.

She isn't recording..... I don't think anyway. You've most likely confused "new album" with "new material".......I strongly suspect that it is simply a re-release of old material, or perhaps old unreleased material, not new recordings....

Yes, it is a greatest hits with some bonus, previously-unreleased material unearthed by her daughter.

Okey doke.... was I correct when I guessed Birmingham? I'm thinking maybe that's what riled you into calling me a cunt and all that other stuff on the other thread a few days ago........ if not please do tell, I'd love to know which provincial pisshole you call home.

Maybe it's Brighton? You would fit in so well there. Plenty of green Commies like you, and plenty of nutters too. And plenty of overlap between the two. I was (un?)lucky enough to spend some time there a couple of years ago. The scars, oh god the scars.....

Neither of those places are my home.... I live somewhere in the north east of england.

Neither of those places are my home.... I live somewhere in the north east of england.

That no make sense whatsoever......

never would have had you down as a Geordie type.

either my twatdar is way off today, or you're just falsifying your location to annoy me by making me think I'm wrong.

That no make sense whatsoever......

never would have had you down as a Geordie type.

either my twatdar is way off today, or you're just falsifying your location to annoy me by making me think I'm wrong.

Your twatdar is broke.

Yes, it's okay I realised I was pointing it at myself and so the heavy feedback knocked it all out of sorts.

I am so sorry.

I am so sorry.

What's there to be sorry about?

I am so sorry.

Whoops when you said you lived in the North East of England I thought you wanted sympathy.

I am so sorry.

Whoops when you said you lived in the North East of England I thought you wanted sympathy.

Bilbo-griffin you're forgetting he's probably been there all his life, so he'll be used to it. You're just misplacing your (rightful) fears of what, er, treatment a couple of guys like us would get onto him, lulz. They don't like them "poshers"..... (i.e. anyone from south of Grimsby)

Guest Guest

On further reflection I suppose I could add Eli Wallach and Fidel Castro in as well as an outside bet.Maybe even Denis Healey

I'm glad I threw Eli Wallach in to the mix ! http://www.nytimes.c...at-98.html?_r=1

On further reflection I suppose I could add Eli Wallach and Fidel Castro in as well as an outside bet.Maybe even Denis Healey

I'm glad I threw Eli Wallach in to the mix ! http://www.nytimes.c...at-98.html?_r=1

Fuck off.

• Like 2

All the deaths so far have been American. Another example of the failure of our players to step up to the plate.

Roy Hodgson should take tips from Deathlisters. No-one is going to score if they fill their team with youngsters.

• Like 1

To be honest it is a bit harsh to criticize the committee_I mean there,have,been only 4 hits and six months but the next half of the year could easily achieve another 8 as the majority of the list are either very old or very ill .There only a handful of picks who I would be surprised to hear have gone this year (,Pratchett,P.D James ,George H.W Bush,Prince Philip ,Aznavour , Bennett and Asner ) and even they are all pretty old or ill.

To be honest it is a bit harsh to criticize the committee_I mean there,have,been only 4 hits and six months but the next half of the year could easily achieve another 8 as the majority of the list are either very old or very ill .There only a handful of picks who I would be surprised to hear have gone this year (,Pratchett,P.D James ,George H.W Bush,Prince Philip ,Aznavour , Bennett and Asner ) and even they are all pretty old or ill.

I would add to that list Stan Lee, Lauren Bacall, Shaw Taylor and Dick van Dyke.

• Like 1

Chapman now brings us close to the point where we are almost level with 2011 (a poor year). We need one more death before 07/12 to go ahead but we are 3 deaths behind 2013 and a whopping 8 deaths behind 2008 (best year at this stage). Either we are on for a pretty poor year or there is going to be a glut of deaths soon.

I suspect the latter as Simon is clearly near the end ,Van Der Westhuizen appears frailer in every interview he gives,Graham Gabor ,Castro and Havealange are so frail now they could all easily be gone by New Years Eve ,Woodhead and Pratchett are fairly likely to throw their towels in soon as I can`t see either of them prepared to deteriate much further and the others I haven`t mentioned are all old or frail so I still think this list can pay off!

• Like 1

I suspect the latter as Simon is clearly near the end ,Van Der Westhuizen appears frailer in every interview he gives,Graham Gabor ,Castro and Havealange are so frail now they could all easily be gone by New Years Eve ,Woodhead and Pratchett are fairly likely to throw their towels in soon as I can`t see either of them prepared to deteriate much further and the others I haven`t mentioned are all old or frail so I still think this list can pay off!

I will take seven of your eight but I think Pratchett is not going anywhere this year.Clive James on the other hand.....

• Like 1

Pratchett said n the documentary on assisted dying that the point in which he would no longer wish to live would be when he could no longer write-and when he is now cancelling public appearances surely that is a sign that that point is near? Hmm not sure about James mainly because his cancer is in remission (as far as I know) and although his emphysema is bad he can still talk eloquently without a rattling noise in the back of his throat (it just sounds like he has a bad cold)!I`m not convinced he will go this year but I think definitely in the next year or two.

Pratchett said n the documentary on assisted dying that the point in which he would no longer wish to live would be when he could no longer write-and when he is now cancelling public appearances surely that is a sign that that point is near? Hmm not sure about James mainly because his cancer is in remission (as far as I know) and although his emphysema is bad he can still talk eloquently without a rattling noise in the back of his throat (it just sounds like he has a bad cold)!I`m not convinced he will go this year but I think definitely in the next year or two.

He stopped doing signing sessions a couple of years ago but he is still writing to the best of my knowledge. He has a short story collections coming out this Autumn. Was there a specific event he pulled out of?