Guest Allerna

Luise Rainer

Actress Luise Rainer is still around at 103. I expect her to get a proper obit cnsidering her two consecutive Oscars in th 1930's.

Actress Luise Rainer is still around at 103. I expect her to get a proper obit cnsidering her two consecutive Oscars in th 1930's.

Merged with her own thread

Wasn't she on the main list, earlier?

I thought she was on the main list too.

EDIT: Just checked against the 1st death poll, she was number 8 and appears to have disappeared from the main page list without a replacement. DL Committee what are you up to?

A glitch I'd imagine, pretty sure that there was another year or two where some of the names on it weren't actually displayed for years.

Her nickname was apparently the "Viennese Teardrop". I am sure we can find a witty line in there somewhere for her headline when the time comes.

BTW, have any DLers actually seen any of her films? I sure as hell haven't. Will try to find some clips on Youtube whe Iam on a half-decent computer that doesn't run like treacle.

Both of her Oscar films. The Good Earth is slow and dated in every means. The Great Ziegfeld fair zips along though like all good melodrama, and she is quite good in it as the put upon wife.

Cheers. Will check her out tomorrow.

Merged with her own thread

Thank you for merging the threads. I didn't look it up if there is still a thread...

Anyway: She is No.8 on the death list and is still missed in the "2014 Names"-thread. This thread should be moved over now!

Edited by Magere Hein
Topic moved.

Hmm... considering that she made Hollywood history and is apparently the german actor/actress to receive the most Hollywood fame, she is virtually unknown in Germany today. She's almost from another dimension, a jewish german from before the Third Reich, in retirement for 60+ years.... I wonder if the current roster of german actors actually knows her at all. Compare that to Marlene Dietrich who never won an Oscar, yet is a legend, at least in Germany.

Hmm... considering that she made Hollywood history and is apparently the german actor/actress to receive the most Hollywood fame, she is virtually unknown in Germany today. She's almost from another dimension, a jewish german from before the Third Reich, in retirement for 60+ years.... I wonder if the current roster of german actors actually knows her at all. Compare that to Marlene Dietrich who never won an Oscar, yet is a legend, at least in Germany.

You are absolutely right. But in 2011 Luise Rainer is honoured with a spot on the "Boulevard of Stars" in Berlin; you can call it the tiny German equivalent to the Walk of Fame.

Unfortunately she is not well-known in Germany, that's for sure.

http://www.thelocal.de/20110826/37155

• Like 1

You are absolutely right. But in 2011 Luise Rainer is honoured with a spot on the "Boulevard of Stars" in Berlin; you can call it the tiny German equivalent to the Walk of Fame.

Hey Book, off-topic question: is Serb-German actress Anica Dobra very well known in Germany? I became a fan of her when they screened a run of her films on television in Australia in the 1990s (Spieler, Wildfire, Roula, Wachtmeister Zumbuhl) but I have asked a few Germans about her and they didn't really know her so I am guessing she isn"t that high profile over there.

Back (almost) on topic, is Liselotte Pulver ill or is she just on your list due to old age? I have seen a few of her films too. I like that one about the bloke reminiscing on his youthful trip to the Hungarian vilage (can't remember its name).

Her nickname was apparently the "Viennese Teardrop". I am sure we can find a witty line in there somewhere for her headline when the time comes.

BTW, have any DLers actually seen any of her films? I sure as hell haven't. Will try to find some clips on Youtube whe Iam on a half-decent computer that doesn't run like treacle.

Both of her Oscar films. The Good Earth is slow and dated in every means. The Great Ziegfeld fair zips along though like all good melodrama, and she is quite good in it as the put upon wife.

Cheers. Will check her out tomorrow.

Okay, I just watched some clips on Youtube. Yes, a very melodramatic style making her a bit unpalatable to modern tastes:

Whenever I see performances like that, it reinforces to me just how far ahead of her time Louise Brooks was in Pandora's Box.

I love her accent. ;)

Hey, remember what she told Louis B. Mayer when they were arguing?

"You are now 60 and I am 20. When I am 40, the age of a successful actress, you will be dead and I will live."

• Like 2

I love her accent. ;)

Hey, remember what she told Louis B. Mayer when they were arguing?

"You are now 60 and I am 20. When I am 40, the age of a successful actress, you will be dead and I will live."

It is a good thing no one made the same prophecy about her!

Good on her for standing up to Louis B., though. My respect for her is growing. :)

This would be a clip of her induction, by the looks of it:
  • Like 1

Hey Book, off-topic question: is Serb-German actress Anica Dobra very well known in Germany? I became a fan of her when they screened a run of her films on television in Australia in the 1990s (Spieler, Wildfire, Roula, Wachtmeister Zumbuhl) but I have asked a few Germans about her and they didn't really know her so I am guessing she isn"t that high profile over there.

Back (almost) on topic, is Liselotte Pulver ill or is she just on your list due to old age? I have seen a few of her films too. I like that one about the bloke reminiscing on his youthful trip to the Hungarian vilage (can't remember its name).

Hey Davey,

I know Anica Dobra more as a television actress than a movie/cinema actress and I guess most German does.

She was very popular in the 90s and 00s and she is honoured with the Bavarian Film Award for Best Young Actress (in 1990!), a very reputable award by the way.

Actually it became a bit quiet about her. She is 50 now, maybe a difficult age for many actresses (altough is is really looking fabolous!).

I have chosen Liselotte "Lilo" Pulver (Swiss, by the way) because she was living in a retirement home for a few years. Two or three years ago, at the age of 82, she moved back to her private home at the Lake Geneva. I once saw an interview with her (maybe one and a half years ago), where she was looking a bit over the top: Too much make-up, obviously wearing a wig (with her significant 70s-haircut), a little weak. She's turning 85 in October, so...

Another reason for picking her: I love her! I grew up with her as a cast member of the German edition of Sesame Street ("Sesamstraße"). She was (is) so lovely and warmly and her laughter is so joyful!

The movie you mentioned is "Ich denke oft an Piroschka" ("I often think of Piroshka") from 1955 and the Hungarian village is called "Hódmezővásárhelykutasipuszta". Try to pronounce :D

I think it's Lilo's greatest performance!

P.S: Happy Birthday, Predictor! ;)

• Like 1

Cheers Book! Yes, I think Anica is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. She does indeed seem to be carrying her age realy well. (Two other German actresses I find really cute are Alexandra Neldel and Liane Forestieri.) You breed wonderful examples of the female form over there!

I can see why you appreciate Lilo's charms, too. Piroshka is a great performance and she is cute - almost Audrey Hepburn-ish.

• Like 1

P.S: Happy Birthday, Predictor! ;)

Thanks, I can't believe I'm already 20. :birthday2:

• Like 1

Thanks, I can't believe I'm already 20. :birthday2:

Already. Sweet :D

• Like 1

One last question about a German actress, Book, before we get back on topic: do you know of a Hamburg-based actress named Sophie Schuett? I think she is another one who has done mainly television films. She isn't quite as pretty as a Dobra or a Forestieri (still fairly good looking though!) but the reason I am interested in her is that she ahs been out here to Australia a few times and made some films and promotional tourist documentaries. I think she masy have even bought a house over here, so she obviously like the place, bless 'er. :)

As long as if it’s ok that we talk a little off topic, you can ask me anything you want! :D

I like your interest in German TV/movie actresses, what is it all about? Do you have German origins?

You also can tell me by pm if you like.

Sophie Schütt, who will turn 40 in March, is better known as an actress in TV series than in movies. I cannot name a single movie of hers. I can’t imagine that she once had a leading role in a (cinema) movie.

But she had her own TV series called “Typisch Sophie” (“Typically Sophie”), which aired in 2004/06 and included 18 episodes. I think that it was well received by the audience.

She is mostly playing in romantic comedies with happy endings (TV series or TV films), I guess.

Going back to topic: Last July the City of Düsseldorf honored Luise Rainer with a “Stern/Star” to keep her in rememberance.

The headlines says: “Most-unfamous superstar Luise Rainer is honored with a “Stern/Star” in front of the Filmmuseum”.

If I will come along one day, I will take a picture of this nice gesture.

http://lust-auf-duesseldorf.de/unberuhmtester-superstar-luise-rainer-mit-stern-vor-filmmuseum-geehrt/

• Like 1

Yes, got some German on my Mum's side of the family. They were from a small village that was about 100 km from Koenigsburg in East Prussia. They came out to Australia in 1870 which was probably a very good thing considering everything that happened after that, especially to Koenigsburg. :( :( :(

My interest in German film (and European film in general) comes from watching lots of stuff on SBS (Australia's multicultural television station). More than anything, I am just rebelling against the inundation of American culture into this country. Anyway, as I said, I saw Anica's films as a teen back in the 1990s and... let's just say I appreciated her for more than just her acting. :)

Had a holiday in Europe in 2012 and visited Germany for the first time. I flew into Frankfurt and then spent a few days in Heidelberg and Stuttgart before slipping over to France. (I considered going to Munich but this was in Sept-Oct when Oktoberfest was on and I didn't fancy running into hordes of drunken fellow Aussies! :) ) I saw one of those live Oktoberfest television broadcasts in my hotel room one morning though, which was a... unique... cultural experience. :P

That's about it really. Had a lovely time in Germany - nice people, nice food and nice beer. :) I hope to go back one day and maybe look around the north. Not sure if I would ever go across to Poland or the Kaliningrad Oblast to see the wreckage of East Prussia. It would be interesting for famil history reasons but I understand it is fairly bleak and depressing with huge social problems in Kaliningrad.

• Like 1

To put this thread back on topic, Wikipedia has a list of notable residents of Kaliningrad. I seem to recall that the city has one of the lowest life expectancies in Europe, so it might be worth keeping an eye on some of them. Residents include Alexey Leonov (born 1934) and Vladimir Putin's ex-wife (it is a wonder she hasn't met with an "accident"): http://en.wikipedia....table_residents

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum 104. Geburtstag, Frau Rainer! :party:

• Like 1