Guest Allerna

Luise Rainer

Guest Allerna

i think Luise Rainier has to be on your list for next year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luise_Rainer

Luise Rainer (born January 12, 1910 in Düsseldorf, Germany) is a film actress. She became an American citizen in the 1940s, but has lived in the United Kingdom for many years now.

Rainer acted in Max Reinhardt's Vienna theater and appeared in several German language films before being discovered by an MGM talent scout in 1935. She moved to Hollywood and made her first American film appearance opposite William Powell in Escapade (1935). Her next two films won her consecutive Academy Awards for Best Actress, first for her portrayal of actress Anna Held in The Great Ziegfeld (1936) and next as a Chinese peasant in The Good Earth (1937).

Guest the voice of doom

Think that Luise is a dead cert. Quite a few ageing actresses coming up for perminant retirement come to think of it.

Debrah Kerr

Joan Fontaine

Shelley Winters

Jean Simmons

June Allyson

Cyd Charisse

Lena Horne

How long can these women go on!! :D

Guest Allerna
Think that Luise is a dead cert. Quite a few ageing actresses coming up for perminant retirement come to think of it.

Debrah Kerr

Joan Fontaine

Shelley Winters

Jean Simmons

June Allyson

Cyd Charisse

Lena Horne

How long can these women go on!! :D

wait a minute Joan Fontaine and Lena Horne are still alive???? i thought both of them were dead ;)

Guest Guest

No both Joan Fontaine an Lena Horne are alive and kicking into their late eigthies. Not sure about the health of Miss Fontaine but Lean Horne just stopped Janet Jackson playing her in a film due to her boob exposing incident!

What about Luise Rainer (97), the first person to win a back-to-back Oscar in 1936 and 1937

Good call, she's a class act. Still in command of most of her faculties but she is 95. Her Comeback was quite an event by all accounts

Sorry, my mistake

Well maybe her age was a mistake but not

the person herself. At the moment i'm not patient

enough to read her whole bio but i would say there's

a chance she's a possible future canidate.

Guest linda

Dear Sir/Madam,

So today Luise Rainier is 96! Many happy returns of the day to her. Perhaps she will go on to be the age of nearly 99, as my Mother was fortunate to do, until her passing in June 2003.

My best wishes to a very fine actress.

Regards,

Linda Huthmaker

Dear Sir/Madam,

So today Luise Rainier is 96! Many happy returns of the day to her. Perhaps she will go on to be the age of nearly 99, as my Mother was fortunate to do, until her passing in June 2003.

My best wishes to a very fine actress.

Regards,

Linda Huthmaker

I've always wondered linda, when a relative lives to 99, is there a real sense of disappointment because they didn't make it to 100?

Or is it just the same as any other death?

I'm sure it makes just as big a difference as it does in a test match innings.

Luise Rainer first victim of "Oscar Curse".

That and the pictures shown somewhere else on this thread make me think she'll be around for a bit yet.

Though probably not as long as Kitty Carlisle... :D

I've always wondered linda, when a relative lives to 99, is there a real sense of disappointment because they didn't make it to 100?

I remember wanting Max Schmeling to see his 100th birthday which he did not. I know

I was a bit disappointed. He seemed in good health but apparently caught some

cold around Christmas. I guess anyone in there extreme golden years doesn't have

all that much time.

104 year old Brooke Astor might agree and hopefully she proves me right?

Luise Rainer has won two Academy awards and is the oldest Academy award winner alive at age 97. She received these awards for 'The Great Ziegfeld - 1936' and 'The Good Earth 1937' .. Deathlist needs an ancient film actress and I think she provides the need.

Luise Rainer has won two Academy awards and is the oldest Academy award winner alive at age 97. She received these awards for 'The Great Ziegfeld - 1936' and 'The Good Earth 1937' .. Deathlist needs an ancient film actress and I think she provides the need.

Every time we check up on her health, she's perfectly fine, going out and about, and looking 10-20 years young. Thus, she's even worse than all your other "old people" suggestions, since there is health news and it's all good. She COULD die tomorrow, but I would guess that I'm not that only one who could think of 50 better candidates. Hell, at least Anita Page is interesting.

Furthermore, if you weren't so f*****g pea-brained, you'd have realized that she already has a thread. You know that everyone on this site has you on their ignore list, so you start a series of unnecessary threads, something everyone else has been trying to avoid. Why don't you go meet some people in real life if you want attention?

Every time we check up on her health, she's perfectly fine, going out and about, and looking 10-20 years young. Thus, she's even worse than all your other "old people" suggestions, since there is health news and it's all good. She COULD die tomorrow, but I would guess that I'm not that only one who could think of 50 better candidates. Hell, at least Anita Page is interesting.

Furthermore, if you weren't so f*****g pea-brained, you'd have realized that she already has a thread. You know that everyone on this site has you on their ignore list, so you start a series of unnecessary threads, something everyone else has been trying to avoid. Why don't you go meet some people in real life if you want attention?

Funny, I don't remember making that post... :rolleyes:

I blame it on the caffeine allergy. Made me irritable.

Funny, I don't remember making that post... :)

I blame it on the caffeine allergy. Made me irritable.

Strikes me as fair comment.

Luise Rainer, German-Austrian actress, born on January 12, 1910 in Düsseldorf/Germany, will turn 104 in 11 days.

luise_rainer.jpgluisewithoscars.jpg

She became the first actress to win two consecutive Oscars (for Best Leading Actress in 1936 and 1937) and the only German actress to do so.

Luise Rainer is on the death list for the very first time.

Her nickname was apparently the "Viennese Teardrop". I am sure we can find a witty line in there somewhere for her headline when the time comes.

BTW, have any DLers actually seen any of her films? I sure as hell haven't. Will try to find some clips on Youtube whe Iam on a half-decent computer that doesn't run like treacle.

Her nickname was apparently the "Viennese Teardrop". I am sure we can find a witty line in there somewhere for her headline when the time comes.

BTW, have any DLers actually seen any of her films? I sure as hell haven't. Will try to find some clips on Youtube whe Iam on a half-decent computer that doesn't run like treacle.

Both of her Oscar films. The Good Earth is slow and dated in every means. The Great Ziegfeld fair zips along though like all good melodrama, and she is quite good in it as the put upon wife.