Davey Jones' Locker

Magicians And Hypnotists

Oh come on! That's a real niche. Couldn't this death be placed in "ironic deaths" if he's been sleepwalking or something like that?

What's next? Copperfield dies from an asthma attack due to magic dust? Paul Daniels tripping over a stray rabbit?

• Like 1

LOL. I was trying to find a good place to put it and there wasn't one. Afterwards, I was actually thinking that there is an off-chance that an escapologist's stunt might go awry one day so we *might* get a second entry in this thread.

As for the hypnotist, he was apparently just being a goose, trying to jump from balcony to balcony and missed.

Fuck it, why not let this thread live.

Joanie Spina, who served as David Copperfield's lead assistant throughout the 80s and early 90s, dead at 61.

Magician and escape artist Cosentino talks about the risks he takes:

Unlike the early days, his stunts are growing more risky as each one is mastered.

"There is real danger. I've really been to the hospital and I've got slashed up by a knife when I mistimed. I've ruptured my ear drums, and I've broken ribs," he said.

He admits the adrenaline rush from completing complex stunts bears the hallmarks of a dangerous addiction.

"If you're holding your breath and you're underwater, 10 metres deep, two and a half minutes - equivalent to a five minute breath hold - and you swim to the surface and you break that water ... you almost feel like you're reborn," he said.

It was during such a stunt – an underwater escape called Dropped - that Cosentino first felt in fear of losing his life.

"You train yourself to be very calm because when you panic you increase your heart rate, you move quickly, of course that means that when you're underwater you're burning through oxygen. That's not what you want," he said.

With the world-renowned magician ready to prove he has yet to reach his limits, the risk factor is sure to escalate.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-17/illusionist-cosentino-speaks-to-one-plus-one/6398576

Hypnotist Martin St. James has died aged 80.

He was, according to the report, banned by the BBC for hypnotising members of MI5 on Pakinson.

• Like 2

Technically, it's the right thread though it doesn't quite capture the spirit:

Eron the Wizard - formerly Ian Wilson - a "real-life wizard" in the pagan tradition, has died at 63 to cancer:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wiccan-funeral-eron-wizard-laid-5778317

It was the first pagan burial ceremony in Britain for centuries.

Oh, there's even a BBC link:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-32905942

• Like 1

Hypnotist Martin St. James has died aged 80.

He was, according to the report, banned by the BBC for hypnotising members of MI5 on Pakinson.

Thanks for posting that. I was going to do so at the time but didn't get around to it. Yes, I didn't get that bit about Parkinson when I read the news report: did he invite them on his show for some other reason? DId they volunteer to be hypnotised? If so, surely it was their own fault...

Was he banned because they were worried they would start spilling state secrets whilst in the trance or did they worry he would give them subliminal instructions to go and off Thatcher or something?

American stage hypnotist Scott Lewis falls over balcony in Sydney before show: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-11/hypnotist-scott-lewis-falls-to-death-in-sydney/5195846Witnesses are saying on the radio that he "appeared mentally ill".

I hope he didn't have someone hypnotized at the time.

"At the count of three you'll wake up. 1, 2...aaarrrrggghhh"

SC

• Like 1

American stage hypnotist Scott Lewis falls over balcony in Sydney before show: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-11/hypnotist-scott-lewis-falls-to-death-in-sydney/5195846Witnesses are saying on the radio that he "appeared mentally ill".

I hope he didn't have someone hypnotized at the time.

"At the count of three you'll wake up. 1, 2...aaarrrrggghhh"

SC

That post is TWO fucking years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Mullica, who I think turned up on pretty every variety show in the early 90s with his cigarette swallowing tricks, dead at 67.

And no, he didn't die from lung cancer.

Damn, he was one for the Korean vets thread.

But more importantly , he had lived in a town called Colon :lol:

David Berglas was apparently at Paul Daniels funeral. He's 89 you know...

Career suicide for a misfiring magical tosser on Polish breakfast telly. It all goes to shit around 2-mins 30 secs

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/cringe/comments/4qwj7h/magic_trick_with_nail_turns_quite_wrong_in_polish/

What do you mean mean career suicide? He nailed it!

• Like 7

Career suicide for a misfiring magical tosser on Polish breakfast telly. It all goes to shit around 2-mins 30 secs Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/cringe/comments/4qwj7h/magic_trick_with_nail_turns_quite_wrong_in_polish/

What do you mean mean career suicide? He nailed it!

I want to like this x10.

David Berglas was apparently at Paul Daniels funeral. He's 89 you know...

Was just watching him interviewed, thought he must have died years ago. He had a famous trick of stopping his pulse. It hasn't stopped for real yet.

• Like 1

Daryl Easton, an American magician who performed at George W. Bush's inauguration in 2001, has died aged 61 after reportedly committing suicide at the private Magic Castle club.

On 25/02/2017 at 11:20, Thatcher said:

Daryl Easton, an American magician who performed at George W. Bush's inauguration in 2001, has died aged 61 after reportedly committing suicide at the private Magic Castle club.

Reading between the lines here, I think he was relaxing in the Carradine fashion before death.

• Like 2