Davey Jones' Locker

Magicians And Hypnotists

39 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

MagicianDisappears.png

Did u even look?

:clivedunn:  :clivedunn: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

An Indian magician, who attempted to recreate Harry Houdini's famed trick by jumping shackled into a river, is feared dead.

Chanchal Lahiri was meant to escape and swim to safety but did not emerge from the Hooghly river in West Bengal state.

Spectators who had gathered to watch him take the plunge on Sunday informed the police, who say they are searching for him.

SC

the audience cheers] 

Bugs Bunny : [starts clapping]  That's terrific, Daffy! They loved it. They want more.

Daffy Duck : [as a ghost rising to heaven]  I know, I know, but I can only do it once.

Was a bit suspicious of this at first - I mean, if he'd pulled some stunt and emerged an hour later he's raised his profile massively - but event the Beeb is treating this as a probable death

On 25/02/2017 at 18:09, maryportfuncity said:

In other news - The Amazing Jonathan survived his death sentence and has recovered enough to have some dates this year

http://www.amazingj.com/live.htm

There's a movie about him (not) dying out now, and his supposedly poor health does not keep him from using meth:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/nov/07/stabbed-tongues-and-swallowed-eyeballs-was-the-amazing-johnathans-terminal-diagnosis-his-greatest-trick

My knowledge of Portuguese is a bit non-existent, but apparently, Val Valentino (The Masked Magician) not only doesn't have terminal prostate cancer anymore, but is getting/got married to a Brazilian woman. I'm just waiting for the footage where he reveals how he did it. Another incredible act (at my DDP team's expense, of course).

8 July 2019:

https://www.redetv.uol.com.br/atardeesua/videos/ultimos-programas/mister-m-vence-luta-contra-o-cancer-e-se-casara-com-brasileira

19 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Jerry Sadowitz reporting the death of card magician Roy Walton:

Aww not Roy from Tam Shepherd's! I remember when I was a kid, he tried to sell me my first guillotine!

Yeah, yeah, cigarette halving trick one, but the line's funnier sans context imo.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Jerry Sadowitz reporting the death of card magician Roy Walton:

Scottish Sun obit

Can’t see anything about this on the rules page. Does this count as a QO for DDP purposes? (It should seeing as the Scottish Sun replaces circulation of The Sun north of the border, even if they are separate papers with different editorials).

10 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Scottish Sun obit

Can’t see anything about this on the rules page. Does this count as a QO for DDP purposes? (It should seeing as the Scottish Sun replaces circulation of The Sun north of the border, even if they are separate papers with different editorials).

It is the same useless newspaper but I can't recall a DDP pick getting a QO in only the Scottish Sun happening before.

53 minutes ago, msc said:

It is the same useless newspaper but I can't recall a DDP pick getting a QO in only the Scottish Sun happening before.

Thanks msc but that’s besides the point.

I’m asking somebody to clarify DDP rules. It isn’t mentioned on the page, and they’re two separate publications so naturally there are stories covered in one that don’t appear in the other - the coverage of Roy Walton’s death being a good example. May not have been picked in the DDP but raises the question of whether it would have counted.

The Herald and The Scotsman are not qualifying sources according to the rules page. Again, The Scottish Sun is not the same publication as The Sun, so I’m interested in hearing clarification on this one. 

Does beg the question of whether rules should be modified. The Sun is NOT a national circular as it isn’t widely available in Scotland. So surely begs the question why The Herald, Scotsman and Scottish Sun are not allowed.

42 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Thanks msc but that’s besides the point.

I’m asking somebody to clarify DDP rules. It isn’t mentioned on the page, and they’re two separate publications so naturally there are stories covered in one that don’t appear in the other - the coverage of Roy Walton’s death being a good example. May not have been picked in the DDP but raises the question of whether it would have counted.

The Herald and The Scotsman are not qualifying sources according to the rules page. Again, The Scottish Sun is not the same publication as The Sun, so I’m interested in hearing clarification on this one. 

Does beg the question of whether rules should be modified. The Sun is NOT a national circular as it isn’t widely available in Scotland. So surely begs the question why The Herald, Scotsman and Scottish Sun are not allowed.

I was doing my best to clarify, on the hop, without talking to the other 2 Cmme members! As far as I'm aware, it should count, but I'll ask them their views when they're next about and present the Collective Responsibility take!

If you look at the 2020 rules and the List of the Lost Page the Herald IS a DDP QO again as it was 1996-2015. And yes, the Sun has regional papers, and indeed ITV's "Local news pages" ought to include STV and UTV as qualifying obits too, which is a whole can of worms if Sir Creep's Ulster politician dies.

In short, I'll patch up these two obvious loopholes with Reptile and Grim later and let you know ASAP. And the QOs in general will be discussed in the Summer at a later date. I certainly noticed that when asked their opinion, the vast majority of forumers asked pretty much wanted as many DDP QO sources as is sensible (and some wanted the New York Times - nice try...).

• Like 1

On 05/02/2020 at 14:14, msc said:

I was doing my best to clarify, on the hop, without talking to the other 2 Cmme members! As far as I'm aware, it should count, but I'll ask them their views when they're next about and present the Collective Responsibility take!

If you look at the 2020 rules and the List of the Lost Page the Herald IS a DDP QO again as it was 1996-2015. And yes, the Sun has regional papers, and indeed ITV's "Local news pages" ought to include STV and UTV as qualifying obits too, which is a whole can of worms if Sir Creep's Ulster politician dies.

In short, I'll patch up these two obvious loopholes with Reptile and Grim later and let you know ASAP. And the QOs in general will be discussed in the Summer at a later date. I certainly noticed that when asked their opinion, the vast majority of forumers asked pretty much wanted as many DDP QO sources as is sensible (and some wanted the New York Times - nice try...).

Most people who get an STV or UTV obit tend to get a regional BBC one as well - unless they worked for them or are sport figures.

24 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Most people who get an STV or UTV obit tend to get a regional BBC one as well - unless they worked for them or are sport figures.

Speaking as someone who has suffered LOTL picks this way, Most does not equal Always!

Anyhow when we said regional ITV allowed, UTV and STV were implied so after this was brought up it was made official.

• Like 1

(Cross-posted in the How Long Until We're Dickless? thread)

Dick Williams, known as 'Mr. Magic' and suggested  to have had the longest running magic show in history, has died.  He was 92.  The article notes he would've turned 93 this week. 

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2020/07/13/mr-magic-wmc-tvs-magicland-dies-age

31 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Magician Siegfried Fischbacher from iconic "Siegfried & Roy", who became famous as an animal trainer and activist, diagnosed with terminally cancer

https://www.bild.de/bild-plus/unterhaltung/leute/leute/magier-siegfried-unheilbar-krank-9-monate-nach-tod-von-roy-74835244,view=conversionToLogin.bild.html

Reading loose translations elsewhere - Stage IV pancreatic, operation failed, no more treatment, palliative/hospice care, in the days/weeks left mode. Might not even make the Cup by sounds of it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Translation:

"Sad news from Siegfried Fischbacher (81). The star magician is terminally ill with pancreatic cancer, according to information from the "Bild" newspaper. The malignant tumor was removed in a twelve-hour operation, but the cancer had spread. There is no chance of a cure. In the meantime, Siegfried Fischbacher has been released from the clinic at his own request. But the doctors couldn't give him any high hopes: According to them, it could end any day. In his house in Las Vegas, the American by choice is currently being looked after by two hospice nurses."

Oh-oh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Book said:

Translation:

"Sad news from Siegfried Fischbacher (81). The star magician is terminally ill with pancreatic cancer, according to information from the "Bild" newspaper. The malignant tumor was removed in a twelve-hour operation, but the cancer had spread. There is no chance of a cure. In the meantime, Siegfried Fischbacher has been released from the clinic at his own request. But the doctors couldn't give him any high hopes: According to them, it could end any day. In his house in Las Vegas, the American by choice is currently being looked after by two hospice nurses."

Oh-oh.

So ist das Leben. At least he wasn’t eaten by a tiger. 

Just now, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

So ist das Leben. At least he wasn’t eaten by a tiger. 

Nah, but the pancreatic cancer still mauled him. :D 

• Shocked 1

Well, there's a guaranteed 2021 hit.  Looks like he will go mere months after Horn died.   

15 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Nah, but the pancreatic cancer still mauled him. :D 

Classy. :facepalm:

10 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Now you see him, now you don't.

There is so much fun you could have organising a magicians funeral - basically it's a magician in a box - stick some swords in the side, make some white doves appear, let the sides fall down and he's disappeared etc etc (by etc I mean I've run out of ideas :D)

47 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

There is so much fun you could have organising a magicians funeral - basically it's a magician in a box - stick some swords in the side, make some white doves appear, let the sides fall down and he's disappeared etc etc (by etc I mean I've run out of ideas :D)

Bollocks, I forgot the key word... poof! :burnash:

4 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Bollocks, I forgot the key word... poof!

Nah, Siegfried and Roy were confirmed cunthounds. Look at these proper men's men:

Siegfried & Roy's Roy Horn Dead at 75 From COVID-19 Complications - Rolling  Stone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1