Davey Jones' Locker

Maureen O'hara

I was just looking up survivors from the cast of "How Green Was My Valley" and I was surprised Maureen O'Hara doesn't have a dedicated thread here yet. I have no health news but she is 93 now so comparable with Lauren Bacall and Olivia de Havilland. Post away!

I was just looking up survivors from the cast of "How Green Was My Valley" and I was surprised Maureen O'Hara doesn't have a dedicated thread here yet. I have no health news but she is 93 now so comparable with Lauren Bacall and Olivia de Havilland. Post away!

So, er....... isn't "How Green Was My Valley" a funny and suggestive film title? haha....

We share the same birthday - not the year, of course. ^_^

This would be an ideal substitute for Olivia in the 2015 DL.

1. Her career was just as profilic and successful as Olivia's.
2. She is wheelchaired.
3. She has diabetes.
4. She recently won an honorary Oscar, meaning that she has one less incentive to "keep on going."

• Like 1

Why can`t we have both? We could just substitute her for Dick Van Dyke or Tony Bennett as opposed to Olivia?

Why can`t we have both? We could just substitute her for Dick Van Dyke or Tony Bennett as opposed to Olivia?

Well, I'm fairly confident that Olivia will live to see 2016. But okay, we might as well replace some of the men you mentioned instead.

The DL is already too male dominated. Undoubtably because men don't live as long as women. I call it playing it too safe. It's way disproportionate.

60uiJuc.jpg

• Like 2

Well, I'm fairly confident that Olivia will live to see 2016. But okay, we might as well replace some of the men you mentioned instead.

The DL is already too male dominated. Undoubtably because men don't live as long as women. I call it playing it too safe. It's way disproportionate.

Elliot Rodger did his best to even that up.

60uiJuc.jpg

Well I don't think we should introduce quotas or something.

I think that a lot of the problem is many of the fields we draw from are very male dominated worlds. Politics, sport, movies etc

On my work list of the 10 oldest 6 were women but when I look at the middle 50 on the list there are 13 women which is higher than the DL but far from parity. Although 30% of the scoring deaths have been women.

• Like 1

This year I have 10 women on my team. I've only had one of them die...

11 out of 40 = 27.5%

1 hit from 10 = 10%

Next year, I propose to incorporate at least 12 women, and submit to the DDP a theme team (called Dead Bird) only featuring women.

There, that will handicap me...

This year I have 10 women on my team. I've only had one of them die...

11 out of 40 = 27.5%

1 hit from 10 = 10%

Next year, I propose to incorporate at least 12 women, and submit to the DDP a theme team (called Dead Bird) only featuring women.

There, that will handicap me...

The 10 oldest people in the world are all women but I am not sure whether that would help or hinder your team. They don't seem inclined to die at all this year.

Regarding the longevity of woman, before we were married Mrs Biblio worked in a village pharmacy. Naturally she had lots of elderly customers, She observed that if the wife predeceased the husband, the man would often die within the year whereas the woman would battle on.

One of my DDP teams only had 5 women in but 3 of them have died 60% hit rate. Whereas another only has two women neither of whom has died,

My draft shadow list for next year currently has 8 women on it.

Not including Maureen.

There are plenty of women we can put on next years list for the first time. Here are my ideas:

1)Maureen O`Hara

2)Sheila Mercier

3)Liz Smith

4)Carol Channing

5)Helen Fawkes

6)Caroline Aherne

7)Clare Hollingworth

8)Liliane Bettencourt

9)Liz Dawn

10)Glynis Johns

11)Mary Wilson (Harold's widow)

12)Clarissa Eden

13)Eva Marie Saint

14)Mary Tyler Moore

15)Grace Lee Boggs

• Like 1

My draft shadow list for next year currently has 8 women on it.

Not including Maureen.

Shadow lists usually have 50 names, right? If not, 8 is actually a good number for a DDP entry if you go by the mathematical Golden Ratio.

20 names

Men: 12.36 (round down to 12)

Women: 7.64 (round up to 8)

50 names

Men: 30.9 (round up to 31)

Women: 19.1 (round down to 19)

150 names <---For Lewd Squirrel :P

Men: 92.71 (round up to 93)

Women: 57.29 (round down to 57)

There are plenty of women we can put on next years list for the first time. Here are my ideas:

1)Maureen O`Hara

2)Sheila Mercier

3)Liz Smith

4)Carol Channing

5)Helen Fawkes

6)Caroline Aherne

7)Clare Hollingworth

8)Liliane Bettencourt

9)Liz Dawn

10)Glynis Johns

12)Clarissa Eden

13)Eva Marie Saint

14)Mary Tyler Moore

15)Grace Lee Boggs

Diem Brown

Alwen Harris and

John Betjemen's gravely ill daughter (marginally obitable, name escapes me at the mo).

1)Maureen O`Hara

2)Sheila Mercier

3)Liz Smith

4)Carol Channing

5)Helen Fawkes

6)Caroline Aherne

7)Clare Hollingworth

8)Liliane Bettencourt

9)Liz Dawn

10)Glynis Johns

12)Clarissa Eden

13)Eva Marie Saint

14)Mary Tyler Moore

15)Grace Lee Boggs

Diem Brown

Alwen Harris and

John Betjemen's gravely ill daughter (marginally obitable, name escapes me at the mo).

Diem Brown and Alwen Harris are not famous enough for The Death List but will be both be very popular DDP picks and dead certs for obituaries.John Betjemen`s daughter Candida Lycett Green died on 19th August.

60uiJuc.jpg

Are you sure your figures are correct?

P = Phyllis

I have taken some of the suggestions on this forum, current picks and a host of other names to come up with 25 ladies who I think could grace the 2015 Deathlist but I do not think we should pick on gender alone we need the best picks regardless of gender.

I was surprised at how easy this was and could have probably gone on to fill a full 50.

1. Zsa Zsa Gabor
  2. Luise Rainer
  3. Olivia de Havilland
  4. Valerie Harper
  5. Vera Lynn
  6. P D James
  7. Doris Day
  8. Nancy Reagen
  9. Fay Weldon
  10. Liz Dawn
  11. Jean Alexander
  12. Mary Wilson
  13. Sheila Mercier
  14. Clarissa Eden
  15. Maureen O' Hara
  16. Liz Smith
  17. Betty White
  18. Mary Tyler Moore
  19. Aretha Franklin
  20. Marguritte Pattern
  21. June Spencer
  22. Pamela Cundell
  23. Elizabeth Kelly
  24. Sheila Sim
  25. Queen Elizabeth II

Maybe we could sell "This is what a feminist's corpse looks like" t-shirts.

• Like 1

Are you sure your figures are correct?

P = Phyllis

Sorry, I honestly thought that PD James was a man.
  • Like 1

Maureen's to receive an honorary Oscar. I can't post a link as Firefox for Android keeps carshing on me though. :angry:

BTW, it is a Telegraph article with the charming title "I wasn't going to play the whore" if some kind soul wants to post the link here. :)

BTW, it is a Telegraph article with the charming title "I wasn't going to play the whore" if some kind soul wants to post the link here. :)

Telegraph Linky

• Like 1