Percy Sledge

Reportedly diagnosed with liver cancer

Surprised he's only 73 tbh

All downhill for him then...

• Like 1

The incomparable Percy Sledge has died. :-(

SC

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/7062350

I could compare him to Nick Cave or Madonna.....
  • Like 1

The incomparable Percy Sledge has died. :-(

SChttp://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/7062350

I could compare him to Nick Cave or Madonna.....

Great soul singer. I was fortunate enough to see him twice after moving here to Louisiana. He played the festivals for free, I posted a clip on Youtube once. Anyway, he's local to Louisiana and international in scope. A sad day.

SC

He's a big hit for me (DDP, another internet pool and my main competition, the Death League). Strangely, all my DDP hits start with S (Sledge, Robert Schuller, Stuart Scott and Sam Simon). With this sibilant surge, can Lynne Stewart be far behind?

Not unexpected, but very sad news nonetheless.

Guest awesome guest

He was a great talent and will be missed the world over

Sad loss indeed. Biggie on my front as well since now half of my DDP roster is dead and my current Rotten Dead Pool run gets to 7 out of 10 (the minimum required for a Hall of Fame spot).

• Like 1

Interesting that Percy Sledge died 10 years to the day that John Fred Gourrier died, also from Baton Rouge, LA, also primarily with one monster hit ("Judy In Disguise (With Diamonds)").

SirC

http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/theadvocate/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=3436989&referrer=0&preview=True

He's a big hit for me (DDP, another internet pool and my main competition, the Death League). Strangely, all my DDP hits start with S (Sledge, Robert Schuller, Stuart Scott and Sam Simon). With this sibilant surge, can Lynne Stewart be far behind?

Wondering how you came to pick Percy? His liver cancer was unknown to me and hell, he was always playing a few local shows each year. Good catch Deadsox. Just a hunch? I'd have bet the farm Fats Domino w diabetes would have left us first.

SC

Do you use the term "sledging" in English cricket or is it an Aussie-ism only? Well, believe it or not, it actually came from our late friend Percy: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-15/percy-sledge-soul-singer-link-to-cricket-sledging/6393694

I just looked it up in Wisden and it says

Sledge: Something the Aussies do to us but we never do back.

• Like 1

Do you use the term "sledging" in English cricket or is it an Aussie-ism only? Well, believe it or not, it actually came from our late friend Percy: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-15/percy-sledge-soul-singer-link-to-cricket-sledging/6393694

That's hilarious DJL.

Radio station here replayed an old interview from 4-5 years ago, and Percy said he was a huge baseball fan (rooted for the Cincinnati Reds apparently). So the tie-in to cricket/baseball I'm sure he would've enjoyed.

SC

• Like 1

Although hè did sing it, I identify " try a little tenderness" with Otis Redding.

Wondering how you came to pick Percy? His liver cancer was unknown to me and hell, he was always playing a few local shows each year. Good catch Deadsox. Just a hunch? I'd have bet the farm Fats Domino w diabetes would have left us first.

SC

Last July he cancelled a concert due to "illness". In October he was said to be "battling liver cancer". His agent went to great lengths to assure fans that the report was overdone and he would be back doing concerts soon. A while later there was a benefit for him to raise money for treatment. I checked and he wasn't scheduled for any concerts late last year so I thought he was a good prospect.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

SC

Last July he cancelled a concert due to "illness". In October he was said to be "battling liver cancer". His agent went to great lengths to assure fans that the report was overdone and he would be back doing concerts soon. A while later there was a benefit for him to raise money for treatment. I checked and he wasn't scheduled for any concerts late last year so I thought he was a good prospect.

Red Flag's first post in this thread points out the cancer report in Feb 2014.

SC

Red Flag's first post in this thread points out the cancer report in Feb 2014.

For future reference, Guest, cancer reports in FEBRUARY don't do any of us any good for the current year DP.

SC

They do when they are from the PREVIOUS year though! Liver cancers one of the more deadly, so a famous septuagenarian who'd lasted a year with it was worth a punt.

They do when they are from the PREVIOUS year though! Liver cancers one of the more deadly, so a famous septuagenarian who'd lasted a year with it was worth a punt.

Indeed. I was surprised to see that he was on only fourteen DDP teams.

(Mine included, so slightly disappointed at the near miss for the Unlucky 13th bonus.)