Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

The Smiths Cover Stars

With Alexandra Bastedo's death earlier this year, I thought I'd compile the list of "cover stars" of the various Smiths singles and albums cover up until their live album "Rank" in 1988...

Hand in Glove (1983) George O'Mara (b. 1956)
This Charming Man (1983) Jean Marais (d.1998)
What Difference Does It Make? (1984) Terence Stamp (b. 1938) (and indeed in the 2nd version, Morrissey himself b. 1959)
The Smiths (1984) Joe Dallesandro (b. 1948)
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (1984) Viv Nicholson (d. 2015)
William, It Was Really Nothing (1984) Unknown model
Hatful of Hollow (1984) Fabrice Colette
How Soon Is Now? (1985) Sean Barrett (b. 1940)
Meat is Murder (1985) Michael Wynn (b. 1947)
Shakespeare's Sister (1985) Pat Phoenix (d. 1986)
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore (1985) Unknown from some Russian film
The Boy with the Thorn in His Side (1985) Truman Capote (d. 1984)
Bigmouth Strikes Again (1986) James Dean (d. 1955)
The Queen is Dead (1986) Alan Delon (b. 1935)
Panic (1986) Richard Bradford (d. 2016)
Ask (1986) Yootha Joyce (d. 1980)
Shoplifters of the World Unite (1987) Elvis Presley (d. 1977)
The World Wont Listen (1987) Unknown group of youths
Louder Than Bombs (1987) Shelagh Delaney (d. 2011)
Sheila Take a Bow (1987) Candy Darling (d. 1974)
Girlfriend in a Coma (1987) Shelagh Delaney again
Strangeways, Here We Come (1987) Richard Davalos (d. 2016)
I Started Something I Couldn't Finish (1987) Avril Angers (d. 2005)
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me (1987) Billy Fury (d. 1983)
Rank (1988) Alexandra Bastedo (d. 2014)

• Like 1

You know, I could have sworn she was in the DDP and that I wrote a bio for her!

But...nowhere to be seen...

You know, I could have sworn she was in the DDP and that I wrote a bio for her!

But...nowhere to be seen...

Maybe an unused sub....

I've prolly looked at this thread 3-4 times now and still haven't fuck all what it's about.
SC

I've prolly looked at this thread 3-4 times now and still haven't fuck all what it's about.

SC

If you bothered to read the first post, you might have an idea as to the purpose of this thread.

SC

If you bothered to read the first post, you might have an idea as to the purpose of this thread.

Maybe he doesn't know who The Smiths are.

And this might help too.

SC

And this might help too.

I thought the opening line of TMIB's post would explain it

"With Alexandra Bastedo's death earlier this year, I thought I'd compile the list of "cover stars" of the various Smiths singles and albums cover up until their live album "Rank" in 1988..."

Coupled with if you're able to post on the forums, you would have the rest of the internet at your disposal.

SC

And this might help too.

"With Alexandra Bastedo's death earlier this year, I thought I'd compile the list of "cover stars" of the various Smiths singles and albums cover up until their live album "Rank" in 1988..."

Coupled with if you're able to post on the forums, you would have the rest of the internet at your disposal.

Yeah, I was just being charitable. Thinking he might have got hold of the wrong end of the stick and thought it was about people called Smith. Or summat

SC

And this might help too.

Yeah, I was just being charitable. Thinking he might have got hold of the wrong end of the stick and thought it was about people called Smith. Or summat

This is a list that could go in the main section. There have been several others like this done in the past.

Edited by Magere Hein
Dunn

Had pointed out to me that the Sean Barrett in the How Soon is Now cover, is the same one in the Priests of Father Ted list.

Ie the most boring voice in the world guy.

Small world , innit...

Plus, oooh the choices when he dies :lol:

Had pointed out to me that the Sean Barrett in the How Soon is Now cover, is the same one in the Priests of Father Ted list.

Ie the most boring voice in the world guy.

Small world , innit...

Plus, oooh the choices when he dies :lol:

Plus a ton of voice overs and narration on TV. Voice is instantly recognisable...

Aye, but it amused me that the link between Morrissey and the most boring voice in the World , wasn't himself, or Graham Norton .

Well, that episode also featured Gerard McSorley as Father Ted Unctious, who was in "War Horse" with Tony Pitts (Google the face, uber-character actor) who was in Powder (2011) (never heard of it) with Johnny Marr.

Richard Bradford will probably end up going this year s he didn't make the cut for my ITC theme theam. He's not really aged well either, very overweight now.

It's strange, I've never paid any attention to The Smiths and don't know much about that them but a lot of the people on the covers are people I'm independently interested in.

Richard Bradford will probably end up going this year s he didn't make the cut for my ITC theme theam. He's not really aged well either, very overweight now.

It's strange, I've never paid any attention to The Smiths and don't know much about that them but a lot of the people on the covers are people I'm independently interested in.

You've missed out...

Alternatively we could always diverse this thread into dead people with the surname of Smith.

It is still the most common British surname. :hatsoff:

There's still some life in the list. I'm not quite ready for: "And what exactly are you famous for, mrs Smith?"

You've missed out...

I probably would enjoy them but we all have our prejudices and for me it's militant vegetarions/vegans and I just can't get past that enough to actually listen to the Smiths.

You've missed out...

I probably would enjoy them but we all have our prejudices and for me it's militant vegetarions/vegans and I just can't get past that enough to actually listen to the Smiths.

I just imagine myself inviting Morrissey round to dinner and feeding him something in which I have craftily hidden some secret ingredient ;)

Lol, saw this yesterday which would fit your fantasy toastie

1935226_1145460652139253_131750428852417

• Like 8

There's still some life in the list. I'm not quite ready for: "And what exactly are you famous for, mrs Smith?"

Many things, not least my Bigmouth and the fact that I'm bigger than some other girls.

• Like 1