Sign in to follow this  
Deathray

How Old Are DL Users?

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

b ) Is it not a bit harsh to correct a foreigner, who doesn't even reside here, 's english?

I do my best to spell English correctly, according to the British spelling conventions. Every now and again I make mistakes. So do, to my relief, almost all native speakers (native writers?).

In this case I got confused (rather than distracted, I have no little sister) by spellings of words of a similar derivation, such as semaphore and chromatophore. English spelling is a bitch.

Quite frankly, your English is utterly outstanding and 99% of the time nobody would know that you were not native to this sceptic isle or summat.

Quite frankly, your English is utterly outstanding and 99% of the time nobody would know that you were not native to this sceptic isle or summat.

In the late 80s and early 90s I worked as a programmer for a tiny software firm in Made. Its main product calculated whether a ship would capsize or break, depending on loading and weather conditions.

I was the second employee, the first one was a university trained naval architect from London, who didn't know Dutch. For conversation that was no problem, since both the boss and I knew English well. His English writing was a nightmare. As a standing procedure I checked all his correspondence and documentation for grammar and spelling. At that time there was no Internet, so one of the first things I did there was order a good English dictionary, a grammar and a thesaurus. I still have them. The dictionary sits, dog-eared, with coffee stains and ciggie burns, on my desk.

• Like 3

48, 49 in September

Me too!

...and female, working on a divorce, mother to four awesome children. In good lighting I can pass for about 34. I lurked on this site for about a decade, signed up in 2013 and only started posting recently.

In good lighting? You must look ravishing in the dark then.

And in welders goggles you could pass for Brigitte Bardot.

Who?

I wish! (well...the young sexy Bardot that is :D)