themaninblack

Michael Schumacher

Of all the F1 drivers I never thought Schumi would be the one who would meet his end by being off his head on the white stuff.

• Like 3

This is where it happened...By the time he noticed those rocks, it was probably too late to steer off or stop.

b7f143.jpg

Stupid French....

Never heard of a gravel trap.

Skied the Meribel area for a week in 1999, well marked pistes and I'm sorry to say if you go off piste then your chances of having a bad fall increase 10 fold. The piste markers are there for good reason, being an experienced skier, he has only himself to blame.

The arrow in the above photo looks to have been placed too far up the slope with regard to the placement of crossed skis I've seen in video of the medical helicopter taking off. From what I understand, the accident was some way into the middle of this rocky area.

Go through there with speed, and you are asking for trouble.

Nevertheless, although I was never a fan of his, I wish him well for a full recovery.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

Press conference in less than an hour- they said they wouldnt say anything till there was a change in his condition so this coukld be very significant

Press conference in less than an hour- they said they wouldnt say anything till there was a change in his condition so this coukld be very significant

Jesus... I think this is all the news I'll get before taking him off or putting him on for 2014. Bloody timing of it all.

Guest Guest

Press conference update: Shumacker condition improving

Guest Guest

They're saying there are a few signs that his condition can be better controlled,so looking a lot more optimistic for him t his morning compared to yesterday . Not out of the woods yet though I don't think

Stable this morning. You can read that two ways - he's not getting any worse but he's not getting dramatically better either

Just an idea, like: Schumi being the insanely competitive sort that he is, might be encouraged to greater performance if somebody reminded him every morning how many days he'd been in a coma and how many days he had before he overtook Ariel Sharon (once Sharon shuffles off in the next few days, like).

according to his friend his life is no longer in danger.

http://news.sky.com/story/1189678/schumacher-friend-claims-german-out-of-danger

The question now is how much damage was done?

Phillippe Streiff, the friend quoted knows all about being in this kind of situation when he was greviously injured in a crash in 1989. I know Philippe well- he wouldn't have said that if it wasn't true or to be sensational so that is good news

• Like 1

http://news.sky.com/...n-out-of-danger

Phillippe Streiff, the friend quoted knows all about being in this kind of situation when he was greviously injured in a crash in 1989. I know Philippe well- he wouldn't have said that if it wasn't true or to be sensational so that is good news

That's is good news i think Micheal's situation maybe similar to Pekka Hyysalo's , years of hard work to get better and similar injures too. But if anyone can do it michael can.

• Like 1

http://news.sky.com/...n-out-of-danger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25604024

Conflicting views about this.

Ok. Has anyone actually spent this long in a coma (whether medically induced or not) after a skiing accident and made it?

I can't really recall many "famous" ski accidents except the fatal ones. I'm starting to think he's a goner now.

What difference does it make if it's a skiing accident or not? A head injury is a head injury

It's difficult to tell what the exact nature of his condition is given the lack of information but what we do know is he is slowly recovering

Ok. Has anyone actually spent this long in a coma (whether medically induced or not) after a skiing accident and made it?

I can't really recall many "famous" ski accidents except the fatal ones. I'm starting to think he's a goner now.

They won't keep him under for more than a month unless it could kill or several damage the patient, induced coma's are temporary measure . They may bring him around for a couple of minutes/hours ask him question or see response's etc. Though they may not be that far ahead yet, the fact that he is still in coma means his brain is still dangerously swollen and is reducing very slowly. I'm guessing that is what the slight improvement update was he brain swelling reduced a bit.

By my calculations he will have been in coma for 2 weeks on sunday the 12th.

Interesting Daily Fail article re: Schumi never waking up.

so essentially you could have Michael schumacher living another 30 or more years in a coma. You thought sharon was bad you ain't seen nothing yet.

I'm guessing his family won't switch the machines off either as maybe they will hope for a medical breakthrough , in many ways this is the worst possible outcome as

its a fate worse than death.

Interesting Daily Fail article re: Schumi never waking up.

Just seems to be echoing what I wondered aloud the other day. Surely if he was gonna recover we would have heard of him making at least some significant progress by now. The silence is deafening.

I don't like the whole "beside vigil" from the family either. I could write a book that would occupy as big a shelf-space as your copy of "The Complete Works of Shakespeare" about all the things my parents did wrong but one of the few things you can say for them is that I'm fairly sure if anything like this had ever happened to my father, my mother never would have had us sitting at our his bedside gawping at him lying there like a vegetable, with horrible head wounds, praying for him to wake up. She would just say "I don't think you should see him like this". Y'know, in order to, er, not horrify us/scar us. Surely that's common sense.

This is just pure speculation, no? Last I heard, not knowing anything doesn't mean, well, anything. The source is a right-wing news magazine who asked a neurosurgeon what I thought, and then they picked the most extreme prognosis to lead with

Dr Hartstein has phrased it well

Guest Guest

Oh well,at least since Sharons demise we have renewed hope that comas do end eventually :)

An obvious recent parallel is Prince Friso :(