themaninblack

Michael Schumacher

Interesting Daily Fail article re: Schumi never waking up.

so essentially you could have Michael schumacher living another 30 or more years in a coma. You thought sharon was bad you ain't seen nothing yet.

I'm guessing his family won't switch the machines off either as maybe they will hope for a medical breakthrough , in many ways this is the worst possible outcome as

its a fate worse than death.

I'm not sure it is a fate worse than death if he's happily dreaming away. All round tragedy for sure.

A fate worse than death would be an ill-starred F1 comeback aged 47, using sponsor's money to buy a seat in a Caterham for a season and getting lapped in every race.

An obvious recent parallel is Prince Friso :(

Yes, though the cause of Friso's trauma was oxygen deficiency, not impact. IANA neurologist, so I won't even speculate on what that difference means. Anyway, it took Friso a year and half to buy the farm. I think that the short while between his being moved from hospital to Huis ten Bosch and his death was no coincidence, but facts are difficult to find in that matter.

regards,

Hein

Anyway, it took Friso a year and half to buy the farm.

I'd guess that it was a matter of the time taken for the doctors to conclude, and the family to accept, that there was no hope of recovery.

I think that the short while between his being moved from hospital to Huis ten Bosch and his death was no coincidence.

I think that you are probably right.

http://www.dailymail...gist-warns.html

Apparently Schumacher may have 'a completely different personality' if he wakes up.

'Dr Greenwood told a conference looking into the long-term effects of brain traumas that if Schumacher recovers, his personality will be that of an ‘average Joe Bloggs’.'

So, it's not all bad news then.

http://www.dailymail...gist-warns.html

Apparently Schumacher may have 'a completely different personality' if he wakes up.

'Dr Greenwood told a conference looking into the long-term effects of brain traumas that if Schumacher recovers, his personality will be that of an ‘average Joe Bloggs’.'

So, it's not all bad news then.

And he's no longer in critical condition, so that's another bit of good news at least. Although not so much for those that have selected him.

Quality journalism

"he may remain in a 'persistent vegetative state' forever"

Sorry, the state may be persistent but surely not forever ?

I'm just sick of the hyperbole.

RB :banghead:

Big update - Schumacher being "awakened" from artificial coma apparently. But that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be okay. Could still be in a "vegetative state".

I guess we're about to find out whether he's "still Schumacher" or not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2548067/Doctors-begun-process-taking-Michael-Schumacher-coma-claim-French-media.html

One of the neurosurgeons treating him is said to have confirmed this is happening. Michael is reportedly responding positively. Interestingly, though his management team is continuing to insist that nothing is happening and there's been no change, they didn't mention his condition and whether or not it was improving - in the past, they have reiterated that it was still critical or stable. In other words, they didn't deny there had been an improvement. Make of that what you will

I'd say things are no longer looking quite as bleak, although this process can take a while

Big update - Schumacher being "awakened" from artificial coma apparently. But that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be okay. Could still be in a "vegetative state".

I guess we're about to find out whether he's "still Schumacher" or not.

http://www.dailymail...ench-media.html

Don't worry the undertaker was in a persistent vegetative state and he was back summerslam ;)

This pretty much nails his survival, but it'll be ages until we know exactly how well he'll do in the long-term. That's a lot of last-minute dead pool picks gone to waste for 2014.

This pretty much nails his survival, but it'll be ages until we know exactly how well he'll do in the long-term. That's a lot of last-minute dead pool picks gone to waste for 2014.

Is this true? (I am not a medical man) I was under the impression that he was being kept articially in a coma to prevent pressure building up on his brain. If he wakes up surely then this is when he might be in some danger.

Is this true? (I am not a medical man) I was under the impression that he was being kept articially in a coma to prevent pressure building up on his brain. If he wakes up surely then this is when he might be in some danger.

Sharon was allowed to remain in a coma for years because the brain damage was such that there was - effectively - nobody left to wake up. To bring Schumi back so quickly suggests two things: firstly, the doctors think they'll learn something from his responses (meaning they're fairly confident he'll have some awareness), and secondly that they won't be endangering his life by bringing him out of the medically induced coma (again, suggesting they've located enough physical stability and mental activity to indicate he's capable of some minor level of independent function at least).

Sharon was allowed to remain in a coma for years because the brain damage was such that there was - effectively - nobody left to wake up. To bring Schumi back so quickly suggests two things: firstly, the doctors think they'll learn something from his responses (meaning they're fairly confident he'll have some awareness), and secondly that they won't be endangering his life by bringing him out of the medically induced coma (again, suggesting they've located enough physical stability and mental activity to indicate he's capable of some minor level of independent function at least).

We could be heading into Christopher Reeve territory

Well, Reeve died of sepsis from a pressure ulcer as a result of being in a wheelchair, so idk if there's any real comparison?

Well, Reeve died of sepsis from a pressure ulcer as a result of being in a wheelchair, so idk if there's any real comparison?

I was more thinking of someone who spent many years following a sporting accident being a shadow of their former selves before dying at a relatively young age.

So, if only he'd had that jumpy Stephen Hawking thing going on he might still be with us, eh?

Latest reports from Germany suggest Schumacher's not been responding other than in reflex movements...looks like we're in for the long haul

Explanation: http://formerf1doc.w...e-thinking-now/

Yeah, but at long last Ralf Schumacher is finally a better racing driver than his brother.

• Like 2

Latest reports from Germany suggest Schumacher's not been responding other than in reflex movements...looks like we're in for the long haul

Explanation: http://formerf1doc.w...e-thinking-now/

Yeah, but at long last Ralf Schumacher is finally a better racing driver than his brother.

Debatable...........

• Like 3

Looks like Michael Schumacher has flu now, report in German...

http://www.bild.de/s...41424.bild.html

Actually, the most important German text is: "Bei Schumi wurde nach BILD-Informationen in der vergangenen Woche eine Lungenentzündung diagnostiziert!", which translates to

"Last week Schumi was, according to Bild information[1], diagnosed with pneumonia!".

[1] some hack's imagination, most likely.

regards,

Hein

Bild have been pretty accurate so far, and people in these situations usually end up with pneumonia at some point. It's probably true