themaninblack

Michael Schumacher

Okay, now "sources" are saying his family have been told his chances of recovery are minimal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10683013/Michael-Schumacher-only-a-miracle-can-save-him.html

Is this the beginning of the end?

Time for German mayors to start ordering those bronze statues of him running into Damon Hill's side, I think.

• Like 1

Time for German mayors to start ordering those bronze statues of him running into Damon Hill's side, I think.

The long-running rumour amongst some F1 fans is that Ayrton Senna's accident was partly the result of him trying to control a car that couldn't match Schumi's Bennetton because Schumi's mob had employed an undeclared and illegal traction control device, missed when the cars were inspected pre-race. In other words, Senna knew Schumi wasn't a better driver and couldn't get his head round being unable to match Schumi through every corner. It would be ironic indeed of Schumi croaked on the twentieth anniversary of that crash in May.

Yeah, that's one of the gazillions of things that have been speculated about that day and it's probably right that Benneton's illegal traction control (which is pretty much accepted as existing) was driving Senna nuts. Although it's just important to remember that Senna was really unlucky in the way that the car debris came up and bonked him on/in the head just after the impact with the wall, and he'd probably have gotten away with it otherwise so maybe it's overanalysing it a little to blame it on his trying too hard.

And anyway, whether that's true or not it's still really spooky that he's gonna croak just in time for the 20th anniversary of Senna's own death. Especially as he would have been the primary go-to interviewee about that day, seeing as he was right behind Senna when he went off the track.... weird as hell, and amazingly typical of Schumi, even by accident, to "overshadow" Senna just like he did when he broke all Senna's records simply by A: outliving him and then B: going on to having a dominant car for far longer than Senna ever had and hiring a pliant team-mate which Senna didn't have.

Just did a bit more reading on it and I found these two examples of racing drivers who stayed in comas for years after sustaining horrible injuries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Jacobi crashed in 1983, died in 1987

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Williams_(NASCAR) crashed in 1979, died in 1989(!)

So who knows maybe his family won't be able to let go and will keep hanging on for that "miracle".....

Said that MS now only weighs 55kgs having lost about 21kgs in 10 weeks.

Schumacher has lost 25 per cent of his body weight and now weighs only 8 stone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2586346/Michael-Schumacher-lost-staggering-25-cent-body-weighs-just-EIGHT-STONE.html

I guess the upside of that is if he ever does somehow recover and makes it back into the cockpit, he'll be about 0.4 seconds a lap quicker or something!

• Like 1

Schumacher has lost 25 per cent of his body weight and now weighs only 8 stone.

http://www.dailymail...IGHT-STONE.html

I guess the upside of that is if he ever does somehow recover and makes it back into the cockpit, he'll be about 0.4 seconds a lap quicker or something!

He's running out of petrol though, and fast...

Said that MS now only weighs 55kgs having lost about 21kgs in 10 weeks.

50kg now, down from 75. That's another 5kg in 11 days.

With a height of 1.74m, this calculates to be a body mass index of 16.5.

From wiki:

For these individuals, the current value settings are as follows: a BMI of 18.5 to 25 may indicate optimal weight; a BMI lower than 18.5 suggests the person is underweight while a number above 25 may indicate the person is overweight; a BMI below 17.5 may indicate the person has anorexia nervosa or a related disorder; a number above 30 suggests the person is obese (over 40, morbidly obese).

A BMI nearing 15 is usually used as an indicator for starvation and the health risks involved, with a BMI <17.5 being an informal criterion for the diagnosis of anorexia nervosa.

Farah Fawset Majors died on the 25th June 2009 - we were getting a BMI of 13.67 on 21st April 2009. Losing 2lbs a month I would put her final weight at 82lbs, and a BMI of 13.0

by all accounts Tammy Faye Baker died with a BMI of 12.12

Ariel Sharon lost 145lbs in 48 months - that's 3lbs a month.

Schumacher's weight loss so far would be 57.5 lbs in just less than three months - that's about 20lbs a month.

If he carries on loosing weight at this rate for much longer it won't be the brain damage that finally kills him but the weight loss leading to organ failure.

If he gets down to a BMI of about 13.2 then I think his survival chances would be about zero percent over the following year.

10kg away from that mark, and at this alarming rate maybe dead within the month.

P.S. I've been looking at low BMI deaths

Karen Carpenter = 13.4

Ana Carolina Reston = 13.4

Luisel Ramos = 14.5

Elle Ramos = 16.0

However Kate Moss has survived a reported BMI of 14.0, said that she normally has a BMI of about 17.3

And Stephanie Naumoska won a Miss Australia title with a BMI of about 15.1

• Like 1

17.6 :) bmi.....

Edit....hold the fucking phone ''a BMI below 17.5 may indicate the person has anorexia nervosa or a related disorder;'' jSHe7.gif

41.4 - beat that, skinny fuckers :skill2:

I probably can, but maths has never been my strong point. B)

Had to draw a graph with Schumi's weight loss figures. The hospital has just 44 days to stabilise his condition before he drops below 40kgs. If it's just getting worse at this alarming rate he will crash through 40kg within 19 days.

And, just for Lardy, I'll add that you have the better of me... 34.4...

Had to draw a graph with Schumi's weight loss figures. The hospital has just 44 days to stabilise his condition before he drops below 40kgs. If it's just getting worse at this alarming rate he will crash through 40kg within 19 days.

And, just for Lardy, I'll add that you have the better of me... 34.4...

This game makes me feel better I get 23.4 which (according to the website I used) means I am a healthy weight.

I am now going to eat a biscuit

21.4 for me. I'm more a booklet than a book...

• Like 1

I presume that if someone who has been healthy comes out of a coma the medical staff will have a programme to build them up again. We are approaching 3 months. I originally thought this would over in days.

Me too. His family are not gonna give up they are in this for the long haul. He could still be lying there by next April.

Don't think so, I get that he is now an organ donor.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2014/03/24/odds-and-ends/

To me it's that rate of weight loss. Muscle wasting to even his diaphragm means that brain function is closer to minimal. From now on, with only machines providing oxygen, the rest of him is on tick over till the family make a decision to ask the right question of the staff.

Guess tissue mapping has already been done by the hospital and the staff will have lined up a dozen hopeful candidates for surgery such as heart/lung, kidney and cornea transplants.