Estuarian Float

Barbara Walters

Why is it that everyone dies in the last few days in the year? (Pele, Barbara Walters)

• Like 3

Just retired to bed, popped on the iPad now this!!! :lol:

Guess she’s off the big list for next year. Ha!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

RIP.

image.jpeg.d434762ed01e782ca3798dc9e0f1c3a6.jpeg

So who's the replacement for this image?

I'm thinking Bob Newhart.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, When The said:

Why is it that everyone dies in the last few days in the year? (Pele, Barbara Walters)

Deaths always peak in winter in December/ January.In my family over the years we have had lots of deaths around Xmas and New Year ( 24th  and 30th December and January 1st and 2nd in a small family).This year I lost 2 friends one before Xmas and one just after.The cold and seasonal viruses probably play a factor.When I worked in a nursing home years ago they always said  when I started that there was a spike around Xmas and January and they weren't wrong!

1 minute ago, Drewsky1211 said:

RIP.

image.jpeg.d434762ed01e782ca3798dc9e0f1c3a6.jpeg

So who's the replacement for this image?

I'm thinking Bob Newhart.

James Hong

June Squibb

But yeah Newheart is the nearest name that fits in terms of American fame.

• Like 1

Imagine if she had died 24 hours later.

The 2023 DL would already be up and she would have likely been on it!

1 minute ago, The Daredevil said:

Imagine if she had died 24 hours later.

The 2023 DL would already be up and she would have likely been on it!

Hopefully the committee will let us know like they did after Betty died last year (She would have been at number 1)

Just now, Sean said:

Hopefully the committee will let us know like they did after Betty died last year (She would have been at number 1)

Seeing she is not on this year’s list, I feel that it would be hard to find out. 

It is a safe assumption she was going to be on again next year though. I wonder who her replacement is? George Alagiah maybe?

Just now, wannamaker said:

Had her on my DL prediction team :(

Same only sent it two hours ago if that and I sent my DDP teams in yesterday evening about an hour before Don West's death was announced.Weirdly the number 1 sub was originally on my list but I swapped him out for West as West hadn't turned 60 and I didn't think he would whereas the other man was in his 60s already.

1 minute ago, The Daredevil said:

Seeing she is not on this year’s list, I feel that it would be hard to find out. 

It is a safe assumption she was going to be on again next year though. I wonder who her replacement is? George Alagiah maybe?

I would think Alagiah was already on it too but if not the committee should put him on in her place.

I wonder if she would have made the Inverse dead pool or even the Drop 40 had she made it.

I just heard about this-  unfortunately I had to turn my computer on!  Now I have to find somebody else to put on my 2023 list- right under the wire!

2 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Not too clear who this person is, any UK connection?

She was a huge news anchor here in the US, and she was on a popular show called The View. I can't think of any UK connection, but she was on the list previously, so that means the committee knew she'd get a UK obit. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mollyafox said:

She was a huge news anchor here in the US, and she was on a popular show called The View. I can't think of any UK connection, but she was on the list previously, so that means the committee knew she'd get a UK obit. 

So a bit like Fiona Bruce?

1 minute ago, Youth in Asia said:

Yeah. I'm pretty sure Barbara was the first female anchor on nightly news, or at least one of the first back in the 1970s, so that's probably another reason she's a big deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JustPassingThrough said:

Don't worry, they will get to it!  She was really big in the world of broadcast journalism for many years-  she interviewed many famous people, a lot of them would talk to nobody else except her

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, chiesa52 said:

Don't worry, they will get to it!  She was really big in the world of broadcast journalism for many years-  she interviewed many famous people, a lot of them would talk to nobody else except her

Yes, I was not expecting a long, advance obituary to be run by non-US publications, especially where it's the middle of the night. By the nature of these things, newsreaders can be extremely famous in their country but basically unknown outside of it, moreso than most other public figures. Though her being on two DLs shows international presence.

Can verify that it's been a huge deal in the US. I think ABC, where she spent most of her career, broke into programming immediately to announce her death and I'm guessing the other national broadcasters did as well.

• Like 2

Interestingly, Walters hosted one of the 1984 Presidential Debates with Reagan and Mondale. All three died at 93! Like Reagan, Walters also battled advanced dementia/Alzheimer’s, which probably was a key contributor to her cause of death, like it was for Reagan.

52 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

More like Sir David Frost in terms of global impact regarding top international interviews.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1