Sign in to follow this  
Deathray

Do You Actually Research?

Guest Guest guest

No, I have always believed in the erudition of the Deathlist Committee, but this year seems to change my view, as only 3 Deaths since January is a very disappointing number!!!!!

My research is surprisingly similar to spade_cooleys I compile a list and add to it though the year then usually on the Christmas holidays i spend a few hours searching for some rare hits.

I get a bunch of names of old people and a dart board. If I can't find my darts (like for the last two years) I don't do a list. At the moment, though, I realize I should have added the Miami Heat to something.

I created a FB group 'Celebrity DP Rumors' that is actually Public (so y'all can sign up) but I post 95% of the stuff. Some is my own daily research, a good hour a day, and some links from here cuz I can't do it all on my own. No need to make charts IMO, I'll just go back to January and read through all the headlines I've posted and help develop my 2016 list.

Sir C.

I keep a notepad beside my computer and note down any names that I read about being close to death then from that list I check to see who is all still with us and add the rest from my own hunches about who I think is due.

This is my first year in the DDP and I basically just stumbled across a couple of names in December. But I've already realized that, if I want to win, I need to read the rules closer, and I'd actually need to do some research. So now, I have a list next to my computer, and whenever I read some health news I add the name. I've already got about 20 new names, about one per day it seems, so I'll have about 365 new names to choose from, plus the old ones. I also realized, by looking at the "recent deaths" page of Wikipedia, that cancer is a bitch.

This is my first year in the DDP and I basically just stumbled across a couple of names in December. But I've already realized that, if I want to win, I need to read the rules closer, and I'd actually need to do some research. So now, I have a list next to my computer, and whenever I read some health news I add the name. I've already got about 20 new names, about one per day it seems, so I'll have about 365 new names to choose from, plus the old ones. I also realized, by looking at the "recent deaths" page of Wikipedia, that cancer is a bitch.

You're a dead pooler, it's an ally. I'm seeing our relationship with cancer as one of those political arrangements where you keep your enemies closer than your friends.

• Like 1

Yeah, I feel even with only six years in the DDP, I could pass any exam on oncology that the British Medical Board could set me.

• Like 2

You're a dead pooler, it's an ally. I'm seeing our relationship with cancer as one of those political arrangements where you keep your enemies closer than your friends.

At first, I wanted to write that I need to pay more attention to cancer patients. But then I thought it sounded too morbid. But yes, it's unnecessary piety here.

Yeah, I feel even with only six years in the DDP, I could pass any exam on oncology that the British Medical Board could set me.

I feel the same way about the British Board of Medical Research. Not sure I'd pass the test the Grim Reaper might set in that dept, mind.

So during the year, I slowly realized that research is necessary to be good at this. The first time I realized that was when I wondered "Who the fuck is Lauren Hill?" And the second time was when I saw that the news of Percy Sledge's cancer benefit dated back to July 2014. So I knew that I need to have some kind of database all throughout the year, which I then started in April, when my paper list got too chaotic, on Excel. Now the race is on to get 1000 names before Dec 31st, I am at 989 now. But I will be away for the next couple of days which will leave me with 2-3 days to get 11 more names, plus the last research on the people that are currently on my teams. However, 108 people of these 989 are already dead, so maybe that milestone doesn't really count.

• Like 3

I honestly just use names frequently mentioned on the forums and them think about which ones I think are likely to die but I have done my own research at times for example I brought connie Sawyer and Richard petty to the forums attention.

So during the year, I slowly realized that research is necessary to be good at this. The first time I realized that was when I wondered "Who the fuck is Lauren Hill?" And the second time was when I saw that the news of Percy Sledge's cancer benefit dated back to July 2014. So I knew that I need to have some kind of database all throughout the year, which I then started in April, when my paper list got too chaotic, on Excel. Now the race is on to get 1000 names before Dec 31st, I am at 989 now. But I will be away for the next couple of days which will leave me with 2-3 days to get 11 more names, plus the last research on the people that are currently on my teams. However, 108 people of these 989 are already dead, so maybe that milestone doesn't really count.

I have a Google Doc, an Evernote and a Moleskine page to note illnesses or anything of note down wherever I am, and I'm still sure I've missed 100% certs that have been mentioned here or irl.

I keep my long list topped up at the 1000 but have only had 50 deaths this year but all the really good names are on my 450 game list.

I don't do MUCH research.

If somebody has cancer, I just see how severe it is.

If somebody is old, I just see how terrible they look.

I keep a list in my head. I never have more than twenty names on it, otherwise people might be forgotten.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

I just think of a bunch of names on NYE these days. Research is too time consuming.

I keep a long list topped up over the year and then trim it just after Christmas.

Just trimming Derek Ezra off it now

Unhappy with how my various teams and lists are doing, I have decided to actually research this year.

I started in September.

Unfortunately, it was very easy to come up with a bunch of old people for my Shadow List.

But it's harder to come up with people for deadpools.

I only have about 4 names for the DDP and Shaun's competition, but I managed to come up with about 8 decent names for the Deathrace.

What ticks me of, though, is when people die.

I was going to include Shimon Peres and Carlo Azeglio Ciampi on my Shadow List, and they were dead within weeks of me adding them.

Barbara Hagerman was going to be my Deahtrace joker - gone.

And there's still 12 weeks left in the year for people to die. :/

I continue to advocate the frequently imitated, never duplicated, CarolAnn's Dartboard Method of Choosing Potential Corpses™.

Sold as-is. No guarantees. No warranty.

• Like 6

Had one of "those" moments. You see an non-English article with the words "brain cancer" in it, momentarily get the shortlist out, then as you translate the piece, realise it's an insult, not a health update. ie "He said the chap didn't use his brain, was a cancer..."

For names, it's a year-round longlist that gets updated ad hoc. Research tends to centre around the medical side of things, where applicable. Knowing your stage 3s from your stage 4s when it comes to the final 10.

Seems to work as far as the Nags Head DP goes. Looks like I'm almost home and dry this year unless Zsa Zsa, Phil the Greek and Kirk all decide to exit satge left before NYE. And I'm pretty confident the latter two will be around a while yet.

Every once in a while I take notice of some news coverage

Like the fact Dementia is the UK's top killer now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37972141

I read that article, but ended up confused. It says

"Dementia, including Alzheimer's Disease, has overtaken heart disease as the leading cause of death in England and Wales."

but further on it says

"All types of cancer as a group was still the most common cause of death overall."

So, which is it?

It's cancer if you add up all the different types of cancers. They tend to be separated in these lists.

• Like 1