Sign in to follow this  
Deathray

Do You Actually Research?

It's cancer if you add up all the different types of cancers. They tend to be separated in these lists.

That's what I inferred. The article is deliberately (imo) misleading.

Depends if they are counting all dementias/Alzheimer type illnesses in one while separating out the cancers.

Every once in a while I take notice of some news coverage

Like the fact Dementia is the UK's top killer now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37972141

I read that article, but ended up confused. It says

"Dementia, including Alzheimer's Disease, has overtaken heart disease as the leading cause of death in England and Wales."

but further on it says

"All types of cancer as a group was still the most common cause of death overall."

So, which is it?

Fuck knows

I can't concentrate long enough to finish the article.

I'll ask Glen Campbell

• Like 1

I haven't done a ton of research, but there are plenty of popular picks, and a few obscure ones, that I'm narrowing down very slowly but surely. I even already have a joker selected. I won't say who the joker is, but I'm hoping he makes the starting line before January 1st.

Every once in a while I take notice of some news coverage

Like the fact Dementia is the UK's top killer now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37972141

I read that article, but ended up confused. It says

"Dementia, including Alzheimer's Disease, has overtaken heart disease as the leading cause of death in England and Wales."

but further on it says

"All types of cancer as a group was still the most common cause of death overall."

So, which is it?

f**k knows

I can't concentrate long enough to finish the article.

I'll ask Glen Campbell

Why not ask Peter Falk, apparently he's got Alzheimers.

• Like 2

My hint is to go with gut instinct rather than getting too bogged down with long-lists and spreadsheets.

Overthinking this game tends to result in deteriorating results in my experience. For example, if I put together a team on Boxing Day and then spend the next few days tinkering around with it, as I am prone to doing, it is almost always the case that the original list I came up with would have done better than the revised team I eventually submitted.

The only caveat to this is that I always (rightly as it turns out) talk myself out of picking Sister Wendy Beckett, but each year it gets more difficult to keep her out of the first team...

• Like 3

My hint is to go with gut instinct rather than getting too bogged down with long-lists and spreadsheets.

Overthinking this game tends to result in deteriorating results in my experience. For example, if I put together a team on Boxing Day and then spend the next few days tinkering around with it, as I am prone to doing, it is almost always the case that the original list I came up with would have done better than the revised team I eventually submitted.

The only caveat to this is that I always (rightly as it turns out) talk myself out of picking Sister Wendy Beckett, but each year it gets more difficult to keep her out of the first team...

Thanks. My list isn't really that big right now. To be honest, I would probably have my team ready in about mid December anyways, and only change it if someone like Bob Dylan is said to be in critical condition or something. There are a few people (obvious ones such as Christie or Sellers) that already are on my team, but I keep debating myself what other people could be added as well, plus a few backup in case someone like Christie or Sellers dies before the game starts.

Thanks. My list isn't really that big right now. To be honest, I would probably have my team ready in about mid December anyways, and only change it if someone like Bob Dylan is said to be in critical condition or something. There are a few people (obvious ones such as Christie or Sellers) that already are on my team, but I keep debating myself what other people could be added as well, plus a few backup in case someone like Christie or Sellers dies before the game starts.

Don't poo poo your backup when you submit your list. I wasn't the only person this year who flippantly threw a name on the email only to watch Howard Davis Jr cark it midday on Dec 31, sending everything into a tizzy.

SC

Whereas I subbed in Dr Kate, and wound up with 1 more point than I'd otherwise have got had our boxer lived another 24 hours. B)

Mind you, when Sue Carroll snuffed it early (December 2011), my first sub wound up being Luise Rainer.

Just over a month ago, I registered a decoy Facebook account solely for deadpool research. I've zero desire to bring my IRL alias onto the Internet realm so I used a fake name and left the account completely blank.

I underestimated just how thorough the administration there is as it already has been disabled. Drat... :D

• Like 4

Facebook research is something I won't do.

• Like 1

Olivia Newton-John is making research really difficult right now. 

8 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Olivia Newton-John is making research really difficult right now. 

I'm not really doing any independent research yet, just jotting down every potential pick mentioned on the forum.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2017 at 13:40, RadGuy said:

I'm not really doing any independent research yet, just jotting down every potential pick mentioned on the forum.

Me too! :)

I just make a shadow list of 50 and add names when a cancer diagnosis or health update comes up for somebody.

There was a person that I thought would be a good pick as I'm doing some more research, but then I looked at the date of the article and discovered that was over five years old. :banghead:

EDIT: He's been in remission for that same amount of time as well. 

Annual complaint: It's a fekkin PITA to research 'cancer' in the months of June/July.
SC

Not gonna lie, I found an absolute gem of a 30-point joker while researching someone else.

And I'm gonna be scared shitless for the rest of the year that gcreptile reveals them.

First rule of "30 point jokers" - assume Death Impends already has them on their shortlist.

There was a funny moment in the new year chat where it slowly turned out nearly everyone in the chat at that moment had the same person on their DDP teams, but none of them had mentioned the person on the forum... Rayya? Someone like that. Anyhow, it had a degree of French farce about it...

• Like 4

I think at this point it would be better to joker likely drop 40 candidates than potential uniques, cause they could potentially disappoint you. 

How potential uniques work is one of those perspectives that always change with experience for deadpoolers methinks. I went from naively thinking names could be unique just if they weren't mentioned on forum, to now having the viewpoint they need that, on top of either their illness severity/obitability not being immediately clear, or the searches used to find them being a bit outside the box.

Well, most uniques appear to be old guys now. There's far more of them.

Not listing the Shameless types... For the ill folk, you got one on Wayne Barrett. There's also Miguel Ferrer (not many willing to task the risk on rumours?), Martin McGuinness, John Derrick,  and Gary deCarlo.  I can genuinely say three of those were on my long shortlist, but dropped for being unsure the nature of the illness, being a fuckwit who went for a no name dying prisoner instead, and utterly forgetting about one. Ferrer I saw but brushed aside as internet chinese whispers, and Wayne Barrett entirely escaped me. Possibly because I'm a pro-wrestling fan and even now, my brain is auto-correcting that to British wrestler Wade Barrett.

Basically you need all of those little bits of luck to create a unique pick these days: Perez, Kobayashi, etc show that.

But then, my 2013 team was full of uniques. My 2016 team didn't have a single one. I know which team did better.

• Thanks 1

Getting a hit with Gary DeCarlo is the reason I won't be disappointed with my performance if my main team doesn't make the Top 10. Death Impends also knew of him though, anyone else?

Edit: Ray Pfeifer was also a great hit, I thought. I need to combine my instinct for unique hits with a bit of mainstream thinking.

I actually wonder if the personal location of a player changes the search results. I suspect that Death Impends also did so well in the Cup, because he got all those football/baseball types in his searches. Some of those just don't appear for me. 

Both.

By way of proof, I found my September 2016 long-list and it's copy and pasted below in the spoiler tag - after I checked it for any names I was keeping secret...

Obviously, lots more names came in Oct-Dec, and a whole bunch of folk snuffed it early.

I even kept the references to Aki Hintsa and John Hurt "getting better", because LOL...

Getting Better:

Aki Hintsa, John Farrell, Fabian Bolin, Larry Hogan, Sophie Sabbage, Charles Bissell, John Derbyshire, tom Fell, Chris Mortensen, Elliot Willis, John Hurt, Paul Barrere

LongList:

Jimmy Carter, , Joost, Juliet Ace, Christy Dignam, Richard Smith (BMJ), Bishop Geoffrey Robinson, Phil Lesh, Keith Farnham, Paul Darrow, Dez Cadena, Vivian Campbell, Gino Odjick

Keep An Eye On:

Fernando Ricksen, Pat Bowlen,

Dr Mark Sims, John Total Biscuit Bain, John Wetton, Rick Davies, Shannen Doherty (using alt-medicine), Sharon Jones, Gordon Aikman, Charles Trippy, Baroness Campell, Nobby Stiles, Gerd Muller, , Errol Christie, Javier Munoz, Daisy Berkowitz, Kevin Drum, Helen Fawkes, Simon Fitzmaurice, Aly Hipkins, King Michael, brian reader, Craig Spector, Michael carberry, , John Newman, Martin Peters, Charlie Davies, Gregg Allman,

Jimmy Snuka, Piers Sellers, John Underwood, Heather Shannon,  Smith Hart, Peter Sarstedt, Tony Booth, Michael Birch, Peter Matthews, Ken Watanabe, Bruce deHaven, Sir John Hall, Rob Resenbrink, Ian St John , Sharon Jones, , Spencer P Jones, Paul Van Zandvliet, Joe Haldeman, Willie Thorne, Vithiya Alphons, Helen Kelly, John Rigas, Colin Smith (Sheridan’s dad), Akihito, Ginger Baker, Kid Frost, Tom Wolfe (Gov), Matt Patrick, Quincy Jones, Claire McCaskill, Craig Sager, Marian Cisovsky, Roy Davis Jr, Pete Frates, , Martin Peters, Erick Erickson, Bekele Gerba, Ibrahim Babangida, John Stossel, larry holmes, Marie Frederikson, Simon Ricketts, Little Richard, , Marco Russ, Neale Daniher, David Ginola, Gord Downie, Marietta Giannakou, Dave Strader, Gord McKay, Sadie morgan, Noel Edmonds, Matt Southgate, Stuart Hodgkin (terminally ill murderer), Dennis Nash, Helen Fawkes,  Jarryd Roughead, Mao Kobayashi, Ian Liston, bart starr, john brodie, Sian Williams, Simon Ricketts, Martin Kelner, George Alagiah, Gord Downie, Bap Kennedy, Nick Robinson, tom Brokaw, Paul Hayward, Clyde Stubblefield, Lee Kerslake, Susanne Cameron-Blackie, Craig MacGregor, Colin Butts, Mesrob II Mustafyan of Constantinople, , Steve Dyer, Morgan Tsvangirai, Andrew Lambo, Joe Tait, Brodarious Hamm, Tashawn Manning, Muhammadu Buhari, Gary DeCarlo, Nana Pat, Jessica Knowles, Philip Williamson, Ken Farlow, Lady Helen Stewart

Ian St John, Errol Christie, David Fisher, Sumner Redstone, Gunther von Hagens, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Clare Atkinson, Gordon Banks, Daisy Berkowitz, Tony Booth, , Oliver Bohuon, Lloyd Blankfein, Darren Lehmann, Shimon Peres, Jackie King, Ray Pfeifer, Brenda Edwards, JI Packer, Thandiwe Banda, Rikki Rocket, Wesley Pipes, , alberto Fujimori, joan lunden, Peter Chelkowski, Michael Fabricant, Larry Hogan, Mac MAharaj, JL Lewis, king Salman, morgan carey, jack Peterman, kid frost, bill wyman, ivan Julian, Celeste Yarnall, , Jane Gardner, Meredith Bissette, George Alagiah, Tony Booth, Glen Campbell, Bruce Langhorne, , Ian St John, Laura Boyd, Lizzie Treip, Siobhan Talbot, Valerie harper, frank Worthington, Mahdi Akef, Amir Guttman, Thangam Debbonaire, Kris Hallenga, Jack Robertson, OJ Briggance, Vincent Lambert, Judy Martz, Holly Dunn

Leonard Cohen, Sharon Jones, Christian Lealiifano, Frank Miller, Valeri Spridinov, Sir Colin Meads, Rod Gilmore, Violet Crumlish, Jack the Insider, Kevin Yoko, Fabienne Saint-Louis (further tests in November), Earl Bathurst (Allen Bathurst), Chatunga Mugabe, Jerome Golmard, Steve Gleason, Mike Peters (The Alarm), Sir Roger Norrington, Holly Dunn, Bert Le Clos, Willie Clarke, Sprent Dabwido, Brian Kennedy, Geoff Fox, Ron Bumblefoot Thal, Lauren Holiday, Lisa Ray, Giles Oakley, Dan Gurney, Tony Brooks, Stirling Moss,

OoO list survivors: Francesco Acerbi, Ralph Boettinger, Lord Blyth, Unita Blackwell, Barbara Cooke, Kenneth coope, Salvatore di Masi, Anto Finnegan, Bill Longmore, Sir Douglas Myers, Ernest Maxim, Jimmy McIlroy, Olive Nicol, Divya Palat, George Rhoden, Agne Simonsson, Kris Taylor (footballer0, Baron Thomas of Macclesfield, Joe Thompson (footballer), Lord Vincent of Coleshill

Barbara Hagerman, Shimon Peres, Craig Lyons, Ronnie Campbell, Belinda Love, Amy Pejkovic, David Gardiner, Bishop Eddie Long, Miriam Defensor Santiago, Dan13ll3 K3mp, Terry Funk, Terry Jacks, Susan Jacks, Mark Hall (Casting Crowns), Rayya Ellias, Elle Halliwell, Holly Rowe, Isy Suttie, Hector MacMillan, Jordan Moore, Latham Grant, Mia X, Nancy Jacobs, Annett Artani, Angie Everhart, Anna Danes, Joe Ferrera, Billy Beale Woods, Anthony O’Shea, Maria da Silva (Willian’s mother), Dave Strader, Costa Botes, Gabriel Montoya, Cassie Mitchell, Doug Meijer, Mike Evans (police officer), Larry Garza, Cathal O’Grady, Terry Jones, Steve Hewlett, Rita Marley, Estelle Parsons, Desmond Tutu, Malcolm Watt, Larry Muhoberac, Ryan Texeira, Billy Boston, Sally Becker, Frenchy Martin

I just list everyone I stumble across, and then whack a list into shape in December. If anything, this shows the issue with too much choice...

• Like 3