gcreptile

Businesspeople, Investors, CEO's

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

You can't say 'Daewoo' without DIE

That’s not how it’s pronounced... Nice try

Joseph Segel, founder of the American shopping channel QVC, as well as the Franklin Mint, which privately sells coins, jewelry and other items, has died.  He was 88.  (Now all they need to do is issue a commemorative coin in his honour.)

https://6abc.com/society/joseph-segel-philly-entrepreneur-who-founded-qvc-dies/5775065/

Could be nothing...or....something?
Dr. Susan Desmond-Hellmann, CEO of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, stepped down from Facebook’s board at the end of October. 

Desmond-Hellmann wrote in her resignation letter: “Unfortunately, increasing demands from my CEO role, my extended family, and my own health make it no longer possible for me to commit the necessary time and energy required to properly serve Facebook and its shareholders.”
Course she's still CEO of the Gates Foundation, so can't be too bad.  But being diligent deadpoolers we note these things for future reference.
SC

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Finance chief of Dominos pizza David Bauernfeind dies aged 51 in a snorkeling accident on boxing day. 

Funeral will take 30 minutes or less, or it’s free!

12 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Funeral will take 30 minutes or less, or it’s free!

Cruel ,tasteless but funny I'm ashamed to say!!

9 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Cruel ,tasteless but funny I'm ashamed to say!!

Don’t be ashamed.  I really wish everyone had a guffaw or two on these deaths.  God knows we do on my wee DP I run on Facebook.  But that okay I understand the faux sorrow and respect afforded the dead around here.  Place would be more fun tho.
SC

Edit: and don’t think I didn’t see tasteless and Domino’s in same post and let it slide - well played :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Don’t be ashamed.  I really wish everyone had a guffaw or two on these deaths.  God knows we do on my wee DP I run on Facebook.  But that okay I understand the faux sorrow and respect afforded the dead around here.  Place would be more fun tho.
SC

Edit: and don’t think I didn’t see tasteless and Domino’s in same post and let it slide - well played :lol:

Don't worry, Sir Creep, in 2010 the owner of the Segway company died by accidentally driving his Segway off a cliff.

Respect to his loved ones and all that, but I think I nearly died reading that announcement and it still makes me and mrs msc giggle now a near decade later.

Just a Sir Creep hunch.  I have a feeling this whole 'escape from Japan' thing by Carlos Ghosn (Nissan/Renault) isn't going to end well.  Maybe by his own hand.    

SC

13 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Just a Sir Creep hunch.  I have a feeling this whole 'escape from Japan' thing by Carlos Ghosn (Nissan/Renault) isn't going to end well.  Maybe by his own hand.    

SC

I thought about putting him on my list, then second guessed myself

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 17:54, msc said:

Thought HMV had shut already.  One in Glasgow I frequented was an empty shop last I passed by.

Of course, FOPP get rid of the independents like Lost in Music, HMV gets rid of FOPP, online sales get rid of HMV. YWillz can add Tower Records somewhere into this mix. I know FOPP rose from the dead...

Reminds me of What Everyone Wants (notes for Toast - What Every Woman Wants superstores, though they did change their name before I were born!) , which got sold to Philip Green and then shut. Now the old What Everyone Wants store on Argyle St is listed for demolition. Way of the world. Owners of the site "accidentally" let the building deteriorate.

Anyhow, the biggest loss (bar the local small cinemas) was Woolworths. It's surprisingly difficult to get stamps, writing equipment, a few assorted bits and bobs and a low quality Pick n Mix all from the same store these days. Always something missing.

Anyhow, I digress.

Gerald Weisfeld, founder of What Every Woman Wants, dead: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5164258/gerald-weisfeld-dead-what-every-woman-wants/

11 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/obituaries/2020/01/21/cvs-cofounder-ralph-hoagland-iii-entrepreneur-with-endless-ideas-dies/2AFVTCuAKUY4eAERd8UIJP/story.html

Ralph P. Hoagland ,entrepreneur and cofounder of one of americas biggest pharmacy chains CVS  has died aged 86.

And by pharmacist, he means chemist.

:P

American company Samasource who assist big AI companies with data management training has announced that  its founder and CEO  Leila Janah has died aged just 37 after experiencing complications in her treatment of a rare cancer. 

Mohammed Al Fayed , businessman , former owner of London department store Harrods and figure of much notoriety and fame because his son died alongside Princess Diana and a subsequent feud  of a kind with the british royal family followed celebrates his 91st birthday today. 

:birthday:

• Like 1

Billionaire, media tycoon and former US diplomat Anne Cox Chambers dead at 100.

Mentioned in the past on here.

• Like 2

British businessman ,board member of Aston Martin and former chief executive of Babcock international Peter Rogers has died aged 72 it has been announced. 

If "GE brings good things to life", what's this say about Welch?

Jack Welch, a railroad conductor’s son who became chairman and CEO of General Electric and led it for two decades, growing its market value from $12 billion to $410 billion, has died. He was 84.

With a determination to win by busting up bureaucratic complacency, Welch earned two titles — “manager of the century,” and “Neutron Jack” for slashing tens of thousands of jobs. Under his leadership, GE became the world’s most valuable company, after Microsoft. Its fortunes later turned south.

While at the helm, Welch bought and sold scores of businesses, expanding the industrial giant into financial services and consulting. GE Capital Bank was founded seven years into his tenure. His acquisitions included RCA — then-owner of NBC — and Kidder Peabody, the brokerage that became entangled in an insider trading scandal.
SC

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

If "GE brings good things to life", what's this say about Welch?

Jack Welch, a railroad conductor’s son who became chairman and CEO of General Electric and led it for two decades, growing its market value from $12 billion to $410 billion, has died. He was 84.

With a determination to win by busting up bureaucratic complacency, Welch earned two titles — “manager of the century,” and “Neutron Jack” for slashing tens of thousands of jobs. Under his leadership, GE became the world’s most valuable company, after Microsoft. Its fortunes later turned south.

While at the helm, Welch bought and sold scores of businesses, expanding the industrial giant into financial services and consulting. GE Capital Bank was founded seven years into his tenure. His acquisitions included RCA — then-owner of NBC — and Kidder Peabody, the brokerage that became entangled in an insider trading scandal.
SC

Quite the legendary name in business circles. Somewhat surprisingly, unpicked.