gcreptile

Businesspeople, Investors, CEO's

On 04/08/2021 at 14:52, arghton said:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/talous/a/414c7fc5-7116-421d-97b0-9c036f06763d

Kai Mäkelä, Finnish investor giant and multimillionaire dead at 74 from cancer.

Owned large parts of nearly every newspaper in the country, helped make tabloids big. Got a cancer diagnosis last month, however he was in bad health for a while, here in 2015:

pic_5_752753_k733305_1200.thumb.jpg.890874cc2630e682bd29f95a7c801d96.jpg

About the "bad health" part...

According to a Helsingin Sanomat obituary he spent his last five years in a care home unable to move in failing health. Does not sound like a nice way to die.

On 31/05/2020 at 19:45, drol said:

Here is a quick list of very old Hong Kong/China magnates:

1)Henry Hu (1920): not a businessman, but a barrister and very rich. Member of the Urban and Legislative Council.

2)Li Dak-sum (1920): former non-executive director of TVB broadcasting.

3)Chao Kuang-piu (1920): HK King of Wool. One of his sons is 81.

4)Cheung Yan-lung (1922): Held many political positions. His son was a kung fu movie star who died aged 28.

5)Hilton Cheong-Leen (1922): HK unofficial mayor.

6)Harry Hon Hai Wong (1923): the Chinese "Noodle King".

7)Chiang Chen (1923): HK founder of Chen Hsong.

Dead. I'll soon add the 1924 spring chicken to the list.

• Like 2

Again rumours about Bernard Tapie' s health after his son cryptically posted on Instagram to "enjoy your time with someone before it's too late."

Ed Beauvais, the co-founder and former CEO of America West Airlines, has died. He was 84. His oldest son Mark and he were behind the company's 1981 birth. The name disappeared in 2005 after a merger with US Airways.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2021/10/01/ed-beauvais-co-founder-and-former-ceo-america-west-airlines-dies-84/5959075001/

• Like 2

On 25/09/2021 at 17:59, gcreptile said:

Again rumours about Bernard Tapie' s health after his son cryptically posted on Instagram to "enjoy your time with someone before it's too late."

Cross-posting here, because this time, the rumours were true!

• Like 1

Former owner  of Legendary  London  nightclub Tramps  Johnny Gold has died  Joan Collins has posted on Instagram. 

A unique hit for me in the Derby Dead Pool once the mainstream media reports as I expect and hope! @msc @gcreptile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Former owner  of Legendary  London  nightclub Tramps  Johnny Gold has died  Joan Collins has posted on Instagram. 

A unique hit for me in the Derby Dead Pool once the mainstream media reports as I expect and hope! @msc @gcreptile

I don't know if these records are kept (ie they aren't) but you must be in the running for most unique hits for a player in one year now.

• Thanks 1

Just now, msc said:

I don't know if these records are kept (ie they aren't) but you must be in the running for most unique hits for a player in one year now.

WOW!I'm impressed if I dare to do say so myself!

• Haha 1

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

WOW!I'm impressed if I dare to do say so myself!

I genuinely can't be bothered going over 25 years and 8000 teams to check, but yeah, 8 or so must be up there, even if split between 3 Crumbles.

Willz managed about 5 unique hits in 2020 iirc on one team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, msc said:

I genuinely can't be bothered going over 25 years and 8000 teams to check, but yeah, 8 or so must be up there, even if split between 3 Crumbles.

I'm hoping to be in double digits  by the end of the year!

• Like 1

Ooh Jonathan King has an interesting  angle on this with his first tweet on this issue.  According to Jonathan  Johnny Gold could have helped clear Prince Andrew...

• Thanks 1

My 2018 B Team had 5 unique hits. The kind of achievement I'd be kicking myself for if 2019 didn't happen!

19 hours ago, msc said:

In 2016, I managed 8 unique hits across three teams, too. Two times, I had 4 unique hits on a team, once Shameless, once B-team.

I do wonder though, if someone in the old times managed more unique hits - mostly because of fewer players?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Trevor Hemmings, British billionaire and philanthropist, has reportedly died aged 86. Owner of Preston North End FC as well as numerous Grand National winners.

After much hand wringing and speculation, PNE confirm: https://www.pnefc.net/news/2021/october/club-statement-mr-trevor-hemmings/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Trevor Hemmings, British billionaire and philanthropist, has died aged 86. Owner of Preston North End FC as well as numerous Grand National winners.

Obituaries: BBCThe Sun

A certainty of autumn is that your possibilities for next year start dying off.  

• Like 1

Richard Po Sr., a Filipino billionaire and founder & chairman emeritus of Century Pacific Foods Inc., has died. He was 90. Po was among the top 20 richest people in the Philippines, with an estimated worth of $1.45 billion.

https://www.philstar.com/business/2021/10/12/2133585/ricardo-po-sr-founder-century-pacific-foods-dies-90

• Like 2

Statement from Walker’s Shortbread announcing the death of Joe Walker OBE

Died on 7th October, aged 83. 

Somewhat of a legend in Scotland. Grew the company from 20 employees to 1700.

• Like 5

Death Notice for Sir Peter Thompson aged 93: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/252751/thompson

Known as the godfather of the management buyout, he led the National Freight Corporation as it became effectively privatised through an employee share buyout in 1982, one of the first privatisations of a state owned industry. As a result, Sir Peter made millions personally from the deal when the company was floated in the late 1980s on the Stock Exchange. (That's Thatcherite Conservatism folks!).

He even wrote a book about it, thus squeezing every last penny from his story, called Sharing The Success: The Story Of NFC.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Brian Goldner, Longtime Chairman and CEO of Hasbro, died at 58 years:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211012006149/en/

Just two days after he stepped down "to focus in his cancer treatment"...meh...

Edit: Prostate cancer... usually not that deadly, but there've been a few bigger cases lately. I guess Mr. Goldner took it too easily.

• Like 2

David Kennedy, co-founder of the Wieden+Kennedy ad agency and the man who came up with one of the all-time great advertising catch phrases, has died. He was 82. It was Kennedy who coined the phrase 'Just Do It!' for Nike.

https://www.bandt.com.au/ad-legend-wiedenkennedy-co-founder-inventor-of-nikes-just-do-it-david-kennedy-has-died/

• Like 4

Surfer, engineer, and musician Tom Morey, who invented the Boogie Board and brought about other innovations in surfboard design, died at 86 years:

https://beachgrit.com/2021/10/free-thinking-inventor-of-the-boogie-board-and-surfing-hall-of-famer-tom-morey-dead-at-86-hello-i-am-a-spaceman-i-am-the-spirits-of-einstein-thomas-edison-alexander-graham-bell-and-bo/

• Like 4