gcreptile

Businesspeople, Investors, CEO's

On 31/03/2021 at 14:43, Bentrovato said:

Well you can all go and suck on this as far as I am concerned. Fisherman's Friend tycoon Doreen Lofthouse dies aged 91 - BBC News

Doreen Lofthouse disinherits her son: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10113989/Doreen-Lofthouse-mastermind-Fishermans-Friends-lozenges-leaves-41m-fortune-will.html

Now he is running the Fisherman's Friend brand, so I guess he is all right. This is an interesting ploy by people which I will never understand, Daniel Craig also announcing his kids will get nothing when he goes. Of course, all these people are doing in the main is enriching the lives of strangers rather than their families. I guess if there is no incentive to care for your folks in their old age rather than just love (a commodity least valued in this society), they can let their money get them out of bed in the middle of the night, pick them up off the floor when they fall, yadayada.

So lots of people working for charities will now be able not only to do a lot of good, but also live in a big house themselves, with a lovely increase in salary, etc etc.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Doreen Lofthouse disinherits her son: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10113989/Doreen-Lofthouse-mastermind-Fishermans-Friends-lozenges-leaves-41m-fortune-will.html

Now he is running the Fisherman's Friend brand, so I guess he is all right. This is an interesting ploy by people which I will never understand, Daniel Craig also announcing his kids will get nothing when he goes. Of course, all these people are doing in the main is enriching the lives of strangers rather than their families. I guess if there is no incentive to care for your folks in their old age rather than just love (a commodity least valued in this society), they can let their money get them out of bed in the middle of the night, pick them up off the floor when they fall, yadayada.

So lots of people working for charities will now be able not only to do a lot of good, but also live in a big house themselves, with a lovely increase in salary, etc etc.

Many people do it as a means to incentivise their kids to work hard to make money for themselves and be self-dependent but some people also set up accounts where they put money aside for their kids, which can be accessed by them both before or after the death of the parent. It bypasses inheritance tax so makes more sense.

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Many people do it as a means to incentivise their kids to work hard to make money for themselves and be self-dependent but some people also set up accounts where they put money aside for their kids, which can be accessed by them both before or after the death of the parent. It bypasses inheritance tax so makes more sense.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I just don't understand it. Why not at least leave the inheritance tax limit to your child(ren)?

In Scotland, you can't disinherit your kids outright.

As I say, I think all you do is make a lot of other families and their kids richer. But it's their money, they can do what they like.

25 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I just don't understand it. Why not at least leave the inheritance tax limit to your child(ren)?

As I say, I think all you do is make a lot of other families and their kids richer. But it's their money, they can do what they like.

Outside of the charity and Will etc, how incestuous were her marriages. Bit close. Keeping it in family is all well and good but..

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I don't disagree with you actually. Merely pointing out other reasons why people do it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Outside of the charity and Will etc, how incestuous were her marriages. Bit close. Keeping it in family is all well and good but..

Not incestuous at all.  Her two husbands are related to each other, not to her.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Toast said:

Not incestuous at all.  Her two husbands are related to each other, not to her.

Pedant.

• Thanks 1

Former Airbus chief executive Jean Pierson has died aged 80. He took Airbus from a consortium of independent aircraft companies to compete on the world stage against Boeing during his tenure from 1985 to 1998, the longest anyone has held the position.

Reportedly dropped his trousers when US Airways demanded a discount on its already-agreed order.

• Like 1

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/aaron-feuerstein-dies-95-paid-idled-workers-after-fire-2021-11-05/

Aaron Feuerstein, former owner of Malden Mills dead at 95. Gained fame for paying workers idled after a fire in December 1995.

Just after the fire Feuerstein said, "I'm not throwing 3,000 people out of work two weeks before Christmas," a Malden Mills executive once told the Boston Globe newspaper.

Malden Mills developed the polar fleece.

• Like 2

https://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/a/a621435d-1326-47c4-a1b8-f22a3e9dde57

Kirsti Paakkanen, owner and "saver" of Marimekko 1991-2008 dead at 92. Big news in Finland (especially since there hasn't really been a "nationally notable" death in a month or two), apparently just announced ten minutes ago.

Bought the fashion company Amer, who had bought it from the children of the people who founded it, notably Ristomatti Ratia.

• Like 1

Cal Burleson, a former Chairman of the Board of the American Red Cross of Greater Indianapolis and a member of the Indianapolis Indians minor league baseball's teams front office for 45 years, has died. He was 71.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2021/11/08/cal-burleson-member-indianapolis-minor-baseball-team-front-office-dies/6345625001/

On 15/09/2015 at 11:21, YoungWillz said:

Subway founder Fred DeLuca dies of leukaemia. http://www.qsrmagazine.com/news/subway-founder-fred-deluca-dies-age-67

Time to update those personal survivor lists, apparently popular pick for 2014, but as far as I can see, nobody picked him for DDP this year.

Subway co-founder Peter Buck follows suit aged 90 - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/subway-co-founder-peter-buck-dead-at-90/

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Telegraph obit for Peter Buck.

Apparently ate 5 Subways a week even up to his death.

I've only ever been in Subway once.  It was busy with a fast-moving queue, and I wasn't expecting to have to make a seemingly endless number of decisions at machine-gun speed.

I was too traumatised ever to repeat the experience.

• Haha 3

German billionaire August von Finck jr. dead in London at 91:

https://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/august-von-finck-junior-milliardaer-und-parteienspender-ist-tot-a-76a75abc-8464-4a81-b4df-2fce43deb752

Most prominent for his unusually huge political donation that ruined our liberal party for a few years. Big pal of Helmut Kohl.

• Like 2

Knighted business executive Sir Christopher Hogg death notice: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/253983/hogg-sir-christopher

Yeah, it's all blah blah blah, Chief Exec of Courtaulds, non-exec director of the Bank of England, former Chair of Reuters Group, YAWN!!

What is important however is that his wife is Miriam Stoppard, or should I say Miriam, Lady Hogg, doctor, author, presenter and born 1937 so getting up there in possible selection.

• Like 3