Rotten Ali

Ebola and Other Viruses

Update (January 31): Coronavirus death toll raised to 213: https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-01-31-20-intl-hnk/index.html

Edit 1: Okay, so since no other users have posted in this thread, I guess this post will instead be updated daily, to avoid double posting.

Edit 2: Alright, that's it. I'll no longer update this daily because it's so tedious.

February 1 update: Coronavirus death toll now at 259, nearly 12,000 infected: https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-01-20-intl-hnk/index.html

February 2 update: Coronavirus death toll now at 305, more than 14,300 infected, first patient outside of China (in the Philippines) dies: https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-02-20-intl-hnk/index.html

February 3 update: Coronavirus death toll now at 362, more than 17,300 infected: https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-03-20-intl-hnk/index.html

February 4 update: Coronavirus death toll now at 427, more than 20,000 infected: https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-04-20/index.html

February 5 update: Coronavirus death toll now at 492, more than 24,500 infected: https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-05-20-intl-hnk/index.html

• Like 1

On 31/01/2020 at 06:05, The Red Death said:

Update (January 31): Coronavirus death toll raised to 213: https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-01-31-20-intl-hnk/index.html

Edit 1: Okay, so since no other users have posted in this thread, I guess this post will instead be updated daily, to avoid double posting.

Edit 2: Alright, that's it. I'll no longer update this daily because it's so tedious.

Tell me about it - I just decided to stop with the daily updates on my coronavirus death toll poll. I had no idea you were updating on this too! 

I actually came to this thread to flag up that the Ebola outbreak in the DRC is still rumbling on slowly, albeit at a greatly reduced extent. https://www.who.int/csr/don/06-february-2020-ebola-drc/en/

The latest edition of the National Enquirer boldly predicts the carona death toll will be 65 million.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

The latest edition of the National Enquirer boldly predicts the carona death toll will be 65 million.

And they also adfirmed Ozzy Osbourne is being eaten alive by coronavirus!

11 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Of course in a surprising twist, it doesn’t hurt the Enquirer’s readership at all.

• Like 1

So a GP surgery near me had to close for like 24-48 hours yesterday because an out of hours patient who recently had come from Thailand and suspected they may have it ended up going to the GP practice. Now that GP practice is going through a deep clean to get rid of any possible contamination, cancelled all their appointments and most likely the doctor who saw that patient can't see anyone for two weeks.

A colleague of mine went past it earlier and it was blocked off with yellow cones etc.

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

So a GP surgery near me had to close for like 24-48 hours yesterday because an out of hours patient who recently had come from Thailand and suspected they may have it ended up going to the GP practice. Now that GP practice is going through a deep clean to get rid of any possible contamination, cancelled all their appointments and most likely the doctor who saw that patient can't see anyone for two weeks.

A colleague of mine went past it earlier and it was blocked off with yellow cones etc.

I got this email yesterday:

Please do not book a GP appointment or attend your GP Practice if you’ve visited or travelled through mainland China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, or Thailand and have symptoms of cough, fever or shortness of breath within 2 weeks of returning, or if you have symptoms of cough, fever or shortness of breath after being in contact with someone with a confirmed case of coronavirus.

Please call NHS 111 instead  etc

• Sad 2

On 10/02/2020 at 10:34, DevonDeathTrip said:

Perhaps they are referring to the study that came out about three months before the world became aware of the coronavirus. It concluded also that 65 million could die in this type of outbreak.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toast said:

I got this email yesterday:

Please do not book a GP appointment or attend your GP Practice if you’ve visited or travelled through mainland China, Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, or Thailand and have symptoms of cough, fever or shortness of breath within 2 weeks of returning, or if you have symptoms of cough, fever or shortness of breath after being in contact with someone with a confirmed case of coronavirus.

Please call NHS 111 instead  etc

I received a text message last week along the same lines, but it only mentions Wuhan. They should have included Singapore! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Over 1,200 birds were found dead across the country on Saturday, including 900 in a poultry farm in Maharashtra, with the Centre saying that the outbreak of avian influenza has been reported in Uttar Pradesh, taking the total number of affected states to seven.

The Centre said confirmation of bird flu in Delhi, Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra, is awaited as the samples have been sent for testing, it said.

Besides Uttar Pradesh, the other six states where bird flu is confirmed are Kerala, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana and Gujarat.

SC

37 minutes ago, arghton said:

Jean-Jacques Muyembe-Tamfum, 79-year old man who was part of the team that investigated the first ebola outbreak says that ebola is defeated:

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210917-ebola-is-defeated-says-congolese-professor-who-discovered-virus

To clarify, he means in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (not the whole of Africa), and the article is somewhat misleading. It is defeated for now in the sense that the most recent outbreak has tailed off, but other future outbreaks in DRC and surrounding countries are almost certain.

9 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

To clarify, he means in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (not the whole of Africa), and the article is somewhat misleading. It is defeated for now in the sense that the most recent outbreak has tailed off, but other future outbreaks in DRC and surrounding countries are almost certain.

You mean it has tailed off since the locals changed to a diet of chicken rather than monkey.

A second Ebola patient has died in northwestern Democratic Republic of Congo, the World Health Organisation has announced, days after a fresh outbreak of the deadly disease emerged.

Genetic testing showed an infection confirmed last week was a new "spillover event", a transmission from an infected animal, and not linked to the last outbreak, which was declared over in December.

SC

On 10/02/2020 at 10:34, DevonDeathTrip said:

Who would have thought two years ago.. Current global death toll sits around 6,2 million. So they were off by only 90%! Which for National Enquirer standards, is pretty damn impressive.

6 hours ago, arghton said:

Equatorial Guinea has a Marburg outbreak. Atleast nine people dead, sixteen confirmed cases.

“The deaths have been preliminarily linked to a funeral ceremony…”

convenient.

7 hours ago, arghton said:

Equatorial Guinea has a Marburg outbreak. Atleast nine people dead, sixteen confirmed cases.

They're now saying 24 cases.

There were Marburg outbreaks in 2021 (1 case/1 death, Guinea) and 2022 (4 cases, 3 deaths, Ghana) but they were cut dead at the source pretty quickly.

Yet another virus of zoological origin. Guess what animal? That's right... fruit bats. Disgusting creatures.

46 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yet another virus of zoological origin. Guess what animal? That's right... fruit bats. Disgusting creatures.

What about Kevin, the fruit bat

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Until Laurence Fox denies it, I will not believe it exists.  

16 children dead amid pneumonia outbreak in Mizoram, India.

Well, at least this time it affects children and I've not (physically) been a child for many years.