I know a few people on DeathList also lurk on the Casebook forums (as I do myself), so I thought we might start our own Jack the Ripper thread. What do we think about the latest news reports that it was Aaron Kosminski after all? Do we think the evidence (based on what has been reported so far) stands up?

Ah, Jack the Ripper.

As I understand it, the chain of evidence is as follows:

• There's a shawl that was present at the murder of Catherine Eddowes.
  • Mitochondrial DNA of at least two individuals was found on that shawl
  • The DNA of one of those individuals matches that of one of Catherine Eddowes’s descendants closely
  • The other set contains mitochondrial DNA that matches one female descendant of Kosminski's sister closely

I didn't read the lot, so I may well have missed a few things.

My comments:

• What's the provenance of that shawl?
  • What exactly are the genealogical relations of Kosminski and Eddowes and the individuals the DNA was matched against?
  • Did they search for DNA of other people than Kosminski and Eddowes?
  • If this evidence holds up under scrutiny, it's strong (but inconclusive) evidence of Kosminski's presence at Eddowes' murder.
  • It's not conclusive proof that Kosminski murdered Eddowes.
  • It only 'solves' one of the murders and leaves at least four more open for speculation.

From my own walks through Whitechapel I know Jack the Ripper is the source of a considerable cottage industry. I don't think the case will be closed anytime soon.

Edit to add: there's something fishy about the whole shawl thing. I can't put my finger on any fraud, but a look at that Russell Edwards made me suspicious. Then again, this Dr Jari Louhelainen is a real scientist, with a reputation on forensic molecular biology.

regards,

Hein

I read the article with interest, and for me, given modern technology and scientific progress, it seems the most convincing theory yet. Kosminski was always well and truly in the frame, but in a way, it would be sad to reach a final and definite conclusion to this long-running saga.

I thought Patricia Cornwell had decided it was Walter Sickert who was Jack The Ripper, and had basically insisted that the case was closed.

I thought Patricia Cornwell had decided it was Walter Sickert who was Jack The Ripper, and had basically insisted that the case was closed.

That one was based on DNA "evidence" from an envelope. Circumstantially both of the DNA fingered individuals have some form. Sickert as an artist was one person who could move easily between social classes at the time (not too easy to do). Kosminski died in an insane asylum and had some violent proclivities, the killings stopped once he'd been locked up.

They've ruled out a wave of suicidal hookers, right?

That one was based on DNA "evidence" from an envelope. Circumstantially both of the DNA fingered individuals have some form. Sickert as an artist was one person who could move easily between social classes at the time (not too easy to do). Kosminski died in an insane asylum and had some violent proclivities, the killings stopped once he'd been locked up.

They've ruled out a wave of suicidal hookers, right?

Not that I'm aware of. The hypothesis that Jack the Ripper was actually a midwife brought into London by a UFO during 1888 has also not been refuted.

regards,

Hein

What I want to know is why is he still being called Jack the Ripper when the two main suspects are in fact foreigners, continental Europeans. Just shows the level of irrational anti-British sentiment out there.

Why not Jacques lé Rippeur instead, or whatever the German equivalent of Jack is.

Given that the woman was a prostitute, surely if you swabbed her clothing you would find DNA for half of the population of London.

Says it all, really:

http://www.thedailym...n-2014090890314

Top gag: "The investigation has so far interrogated 180,000 suspects, 140,000 of them black, 20,000 Polish, two Frenchman and the Duke of Clarence"

• Like 1

The DNA evidence against Kosminski may not be as strong as first presented.

regards,

Hein

I was just browsing through some of the old topics on here and saw a few articles about the guy who claimed that he could prove the identity of Jack The Ripper.

It naturally piqued my interest, as there have been so many other claims in the past. And I found this article much of which has been discussed above, yet there were several things mentioned in the article that just didn't seem right.

The shawl was purchased at an auction, with no certainity of its authenticity. Not only that, in two photos within the article, one shows someone wearing latex gloves to prevent contamination the sample, while another photo clearly shows the guy holding the shawl in his bare hands. How many others over the past 120+ years have taken the shawl out to take a look without donning any gloves?

And then there's this article that's just a couple of months old that names musician Michael Maybrick as being Jack The Ripper

The DNA evidence against Kosminski may not be as strong as first presented.

regards,

Hein

I was just browsing through some of the old topics on here and saw a few articles about the guy who claimed that he could prove the identity of Jack The Ripper.

It naturally piqued my interest, as there have been so many other claims in the past. And I found this article much of which has been discussed above, yet there were several things mentioned in the article that just didn't seem right.

The shawl was purchased at an auction, with no certainity of its authenticity. Not only that, in two photos within the article, one shows someone wearing latex gloves to prevent contamination the sample, while another photo clearly shows the guy holding the shawl in his bare hands. How many others over the past 120+ years have taken the shawl out to take a look without donning any gloves?

And then there's this article that's just a couple of months old that names musician Michael Maybrick as being Jack The Ripper

Isn't time Simon Cowell got round to some show where all the leading theorists line up and present their - ahem - evidence?

I think it's thomas cream. He was a serial killer and knew alot so could thwart investigations. That and his last words were I'm jack the ..

I think it's thomas cream. He was a serial killer and knew alot so could thwart investigations. That and his last words were I'm jack the ..

and manage to get out or prison, commit the murders and sneak back in again?

the murders happened while he was active.

the murders happened while he was active.

He was in Illinois State Penitentiary from 1881-1891 so unless he was able to sneak out of prison, travel nearly 4,000 miles and get back in time before the warders came round. I think it's highly unlikely.

• Like 1

Isn't time Simon Cowell got round to some show where all the leading theorists line up and present their - ahem - evidence?

Pair him up with Geraldo Rivera and they could identify Jack, find the Oak Island Money Pit, figure out who really killed the Lindbergh baby and bring G-d in to the stage in person (as it were) - all within an hour with sufficient commercial interruption to ensure the preservation of our capitalistic society.

• Like 2

Does anyone know the whereabout of Neville Chamberlin when these murders occured? What if he was behind them

Does anyone know the whereabout of Neville Chamberlin when these murders occured? What if he was behind them

Bio pages that I have found have him in Birmingham at the time

• Like 1

A new book by historian Mike Covell names him as Frederick Bailey Deeming who was eventually hanged in Melbourne, Australia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3761942/How-Jack-Ripper-fled-YORKSHIRE-continue-killing-spree-finally-hanged-Australia.html

I grew up in Rainhill where the bodies of Marie Deeming and their four children were found so the story is quite well known to me.

I've never believed he was the Ripper though as the m.o doesn't really match.

Every name under the sun has been given for him, the most credible IMHO is Francis Tumblety.

Then again........