Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Zorders

Who Should Be On The 2015 Deathlist?

OK. Here it as now that we have moved into December.

1. Sam Simon
  2. Billy Graham
  3. Zsa Zsa Gabor
  4. B B King
  5. Joao Havelange
  6. Luise Rainer
  7. Olivia de Havilland
  8. Peter Sallis
  9. Kirk Douglas
  10. Muhammad Ali
  11. Mary Tyler Moore
  12. George Bush Snr
  13. Tony Booth
  14. Leonard Nimoy
  15. Paul Gascoigne
  16. Leslie Philips
  17. Denis Healey
  18. Liz Dawn
  19. Herman Wouk
  20. Richard Adams
  21. Vera Lynn
  22. Jean Alexander
  23. Glenn Campbell
  24. Fats Domino
  25. Fidel Castro
  26. Bhumibol Adulyadej
  27. Jake Lamotta
  28. Robert Mugabe
  29. Lord Carrington
  30. Peter O’Sullevan
  31. Abdelaziz Bouteflika
  32. Helmut Schmidt
  33. Joost van der Westhuizen
  34. Phil Spector
  35. Rob Ford
  36. Bill Maynard
  37. Denis Norden
  38. Abe Vigoda
  39. Rodney Bewes
  40. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
  41. Manuel Noriega
  42. Douglas Hurd
  43. Clive James
  44. Kim Jong-Un
  45. Ali Carter
  46. Nancy Reagan
  47. Ronnie Corbett
  48. Cliff Mitchelmore
  49. Christopher Lee
  50. Ian Brady

Can I ask why Rodney Bewes? Has he been ill?

When did you last see a picture of him.

He has lost all his hair, his eyes are sunken and his skin is blotchy. He is a bit of a talisman for me. I am keeping him on until I am right.

May I humbly suggest Stuart Archer GC OBE ERD for consideration? This bomb disposal officer and oldest living recipient of the George Cross will turn 100 next year. Then again, he may not.

regards,

Hein

Liz Smith is definitely worthy of a place as she is 93 in a few days and retired 5 years ago due to stroke damage and hasn`t been seen in public for quite a while.She is definitely Death List worthy due to The Royle Family and The Vicar Of Dibley which where two of the biggest sitcoms of the 1990`s.If Caroline Aherne is added to the list as well they will be the first DL candidates that are on-screen grandparent and grandchild.I think Jimmy Hill is a good choice for next year but not Desmond Morris or John Nash.

I could see something like that happening, two members of the royle family dying quite close to each other (within weeks/couple of months) life is sometimes like that.

Well Aherne has had cancer three times and lung cancer is pretty grim in terms of prognosis and she has had a long history of mental health and substance abuse and Liz Smith is frail and elderly so it`s a real possibility.

I think the Earl of Snowdon is an ideal DL candidate. Not much info on his current health but I have read that he is wheelchair bound. Considering what the party lifestyle did to Princess Margaret, you've got to expect it must be catching up with him too.

Another ideal one for DL would be Sir Sean Connery. He'll be 85 next year which, for a Scotsman, is like...reaching your 100th birthday.

• Like 3

So far as I can tell we have never had many French people on the list either (Aznavour's Armenian, so the only one I can think of is Claude Levi-Strauss), so how about:

LIKELY CANDIDATES:

Danielle Darrieux (mentioned earlier) - actress, born 1917

Jean-Marie Le Pen - right wing extremist politician, born 1928

DARK HORSES:

Gerard Depardieau - actor, obese/drunk/health issues

Jean-Luc Godard - film director, born 1930, still active though

Luce Irigaray/Helen Cixous - feminist theorists, both born pre-1940 but not that elderly yet

Well Aherne has had cancer three times and lung cancer is pretty grim in terms of prognosis and she has had a long history of mental health and substance abuse and Liz Smith is frail and elderly so it`s a real possibility.

Ricky Tomlinson could be a good outside bet, he has a Quadruple Heart by Pass a few years ago, is Overweight, is 76 next year, also didn't his son die a few years ago as well. Unlikely to die next year but one to keep an eye on.

So far as I can tell we have never had many French people on the list either (Aznavour's Armenian, so the only one I can think of is Claude Levi-Strauss), so how about:

LIKELY CANDIDATES:

DARK HORSES:

Luce Irigaray/Helen Cixous - feminist theorists, both born pre-1940 but not that elderly yet

Also a few other famous Frenchmen over 80:

Pierre Cardin (b. 1922)

Jean Rochefort (b. 1930)

Edouard Balladur (b. 1929)

Pierre Boulez (b. 1925)

Jeanne Moreau (b. 1928)

Juliette Greco (b. 1927)

Jean-Paul Belmondo (b. 1933)

• Like 1

LIKELY CANDIDATES:

DARK HORSES:

Pierre Cardin (b. 1922)

Jean Rochefort (b. 1930)

Edouard Balladur (b. 1929)

Pierre Boulez (b. 1925)

Jeanne Moreau (b. 1928)

Juliette Greco (b. 1927)

Jean-Paul Belmondo (b. 1933)

Cheers! I had forgotten about him but Cardin has featured on the list in the past, too. Boulez would be a good choice too.

How is Chirac's health these days?

Another one is Asterix illustrator, Albert Uderzo, who is 87 these days. I have no health information on him, though.

Géry Leuliet - world's oldest Catholic bishop at 104.

Some more (non-French) options:

Harry Belafonte - 87 now, no health info but with a film about his mentor and fellow right activist Paul Robeson being made at the moment, possibly a topical pick

Patricia Laffan - played Nero's wife in Quo Vadis. She is 95.

Alan Young - played Wilbur Post in Mr Ed, voiced Scrooge McDuck for Disney and had a substantial role in George Pal's version of the Time Machine and is currently aged 95 too.

Kenny Baker (R2-D2) - apparently too sick to reprise his role in Star Wars 7.

Ursula K. Le Guin and Sheri S. Tepper - both feminist science fiction writers, both 85 years old now.

Noam Chomsky - 85 now but still seems active and certainly lucid in mind, so a long shot.

Clark Terry - at 95, one of the oldest living jazz guys. Has played with just about everyone, so sure to score an obit. Not exactly a household name in his own right, though....

Guest Meu

For french people there're too :

Valery Giscard d'Estaing (1926) : former president

Alain Delon (1935) : actor

Michel Galabru (1922) : actor

Roger Hanin (1925) : actor and brother-in-law of Francois Mitterand

Ricky Tomlinson could be a good outside bet, he has a Quadruple Heart by Pass a few years ago, is Overweight, is 76 next year, also didn't his son die a few years ago as well. Unlikely to die next year but one to keep an eye on.

They're probably all going to live through 2015 while Craig Cash and Sue Johnston get merked by ISIS now.

Another Royle Family actress Doreen Keogh is 90 next year as well and is reportedly senile (as reported somewhere on this thread -can`t remember where).I could almost do a theme team!

Sister Wendy Beckett really should be on next year's list. She is becoming increasingly inactive and has made very few public appearances in the last 12 months. There may not be many more opportunities left to consider her. Furthermore the caravan where she lives as a hermit is situated in a glade of trees within the grounds of a convent. The amount of wet weather and strong winds over the last few years may have made these trees more susceptible to falling. A tumbling oak would make short work of the flimsy caravan roof, potentially permanently curtailing Sister Wendy's hours of contemplative prayer.

• Like 3

Guest gepher123

Bill Cosby will die in 2015, if not in 2014. Suicide is a possibility, but I think the stress and loss of public reverence will simply cause more stress than his old body can endure. I'm surprised he's not already on people's lists. He does not look well, and photos of him last week compared to last year show that's he's aging exponentially.

Sister Wendy Beckett really should be on next year's list. She is becoming increasingly inactive and has made very few public appearances in the last 12 months. There may not be many more opportunities left to consider her. Furthermore the caravan where she lives as a hermit is situated in a glade of trees within the grounds of a convent. The amount of wet weather and strong winds over the last few years may have made these trees more susceptible to falling. A tumbling oak would make short work of the flimsy caravan roof, potentially permanently curtailing Sister Wendy's hours of contemplative prayer.

Great choice! Internationally famous, somewhat eccentric and a unique personality so a perfect choice for the list. By the way, I heard another art critic once say that she is actually reallly respected "in her own way" in the field.

Bill Cosby will die in 2015, if not in 2014. Suicide is a possibility, but I think the stress and loss of public reverence will simply cause more stress than his old body can endure. I'm surprised he's not already on people's lists. He does not look well, and photos of him last week compared to last year show that's he's aging exponentially.

It hasn't killed Rolf yet.

Rosamunde Pilcher is 90 now. I was reading a while ago that she has enormous following in Germany and that many Germans visit places mentioned in her books.

• Like 1

Cheers. Paul Bocuse is 88 too.

Rosamunde Pilcher is 90 now. I was reading a while ago that she has enormous following in Germany and that many Germans visit places mentioned in her books.

Indeed, she is huge here, especially with the older crowd. Our public TV stations regularly turn her books into TV movies. I guess she's the german Barbara Cartland. Last month, she was in the news because of her 90th birthday which she wanted to celebrate with 100 guests. She also says that Scrabble keeps her fit.

Another similar suggestion is Austrian writer Ilse Aichinger, 93 years old.

• Like 1

Guest Yi

People who are or are turning 90+ in 2015

Carl Reiner (1922)

Richard von Weizsacker (1920)

Yitzhak Navon (1921)

Shimon Peres (1923)

Michael I of Romania (1921)

Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (1923)

Giorgio Napolitano (1925)

Robert Mugabe (1924)

Yasuhiro Nakasone (1918)

Yogi Berra (1925)

Girma Wolde-Giorgis (1924)

Daniel arap Moi (1924)

Ali Hassan Mwinyi (1925)

Henry Kissinger (1923)

Juliette Greco (b. 1927)

She's touring next year, so her health can't be too bad. As is Charles Aznavour, though it is supposed to be a farewell tour. We'll see. And Johnny Hallyday's just released a new album and is touring in 2015 too so must be back to reasonable health.

A bit obscure, but I was surprised to learn Anne Vernon, who played Catherine Deneuve's mother in The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg (one of the few times when Deneuve's maman was played by someone other than Danielle Darrieux), is still alive. Born 1924. IMDB doesn't seem to list anything after 1972. I reckon she'd probably get an obit purely for ...Cherbourg.

Guest Allez Le Bleuse

Carl Reiner (1922)

Yitzhak Navon (1921)

Shimon Peres (1923)

Robert Mugabe (1924)

Yasuhiro Nakasone (1918)

Yogi Berra (1925)

Daniel arap Moi (1924)

Ali Hassan Mwinyi (1925)

Henry Kissinger (1923)

Another French politician turning 90 next year is Jacques Delors, former President of the European Commission, a post he held for a record 10 years (later matched by Barroso). A strong UKIP vote and a Brexit referendum next year can provide an impetus for a heart attack or something.

There's also Jacques Rivette, 88 years old and said to have Alzheimer's.disease.

Carl Reiner (1922)

Yitzhak Navon (1921)

Shimon Peres (1923)

Robert Mugabe (1924)

Yasuhiro Nakasone (1918)

Yogi Berra (1925)

Daniel arap Moi (1924)

Ali Hassan Mwinyi (1925)

Henry Kissinger (1923)

Another French politician turning 90 next year is Jacques Delors, former President of the European Commission, a post he held for a record 10 years (later matched by Barroso). A strong UKIP vote and a Brexit referendum next year can provide an impetus for a heart attack or something.

Merci beaucoup, Monsieur Le Bleuse! BTW, some of you French guests should consider joining these forums.