Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Zorders

Who Should Be On The 2015 Deathlist?

Since we were talking about communists the other day, let's not forget

Mikhail Gorbachev - elderly, been ill in hsopital

Fredric Jameson - elderly, hefty

Another good French pick is Jean d'Ormesson, the bloke who played Mitterand in the film Haute Cuisine (aka Le Saveurs de Palais) a few years ago. He is 89. According to Wikipedia, he is also a notable writer.

Another good French pick is Jean d'Ormesson, the bloke who played Mitterand in the film Haute Cuisine (aka Le Saveurs de Palais) a few years ago. He is 89. According to Wikipedia, he is also a notable writer.

he also had a bladder cancer in 2013, though he would pass away in 2014. A fairly good pick for 2015

• Like 1

I'm putting both Popes on my top 50 too:

Although Benedict XVI is said to be improving in health, I saw footage of his meeting with Francis where he stumbled - luckily there was a chair behind him.

As for Francis, he isn't very security conscious and has recently sacked his chief of security due to his strict and disciplinarian ways. I'd put him on as a wildcard, because, to be quite frank, he is asking for trouble.

A last Catholic possibility...you don't hear much from Cardinal Keith O' Brien these days...

• Like 1

The ultimate female and french pick: Liliane Bettencourt, the richest woman in the world, 92 years old.

• Like 2

She would be a good hit to have!She is also senile I believe!

Any updates on George Alagiah?

I'd forgotten about that one, and see he's gone from a fairly regular Tweeter to nothing in six months. Also, the "in the know" folk who tend to blab on the popular forums are keeping quiet.

On 17 April 2014 it was announced that Alagiah is being treated for bowel cancer. A statement from the BBC said: "He is grateful for all the good wishes he has received thus far and is optimistic for a positive outcome." On 28 June, Alagiah announced on Twitter that he was making "encouraging progress".

Bowel cancer should be of little concern nowadays but you just don't know how bad it was before detection. Long list possible but not to be used in a list of 20 or less.

What about George Gaynes? He's in his 90s. He's famous for being in Police Academy, and being in Punky Brewster.

Probably more for the "surprised they're still alive" thread but how about Movita Castaneda? She's best known for being married to Marlon Brando but she did have an acting career too and she's 97 years old.

She would be a good hit to have!She is also senile I believe!

She'd be a good aunt to have as well if that would be your inheritance!
  • Like 1

Please add...more women!

Mary Tyler Moore

Maureen O'Hara

Danielle Darrieux

Jackie Stallone

Eva Marie Saint

No, not Eva Marie Saint. She's too healthy. Here are some other candidates:

Joan Plowright: Forced to end her acting career this year due to macular degeneration, a.k.a. complete blindness. Her being a Dame makes her perfect for the DL in terms of notability. Also that she's the window of the late mega star Laurence Olivier.

Patricia Hitchcock: In October 2013, it was revealed that she was in "extremely poor health." Ok, she's no Alfred but adding her should still give us a suspenseful and thrilling 2015.

Jocelyn Wildenstein: She's pushing 75 and we've seen how potentially fatal plastic surgeries can be at such an advanced age (case in point: Joan Rivers).

I'd forgotten about that one, and see he's gone from a fairly regular Tweeter to nothing in six months. Also, the "in the know" folk who tend to blab on the popular forums are keeping quiet.

I had also just stumbled across him on my longlist and checked around. Usually the likes of the BBC are the first to say when one of their ill personalities is doing well, so the fact that there's been nothing from them since April and nothing from Alagiah himself since not long after suggests he might be a good shout for next year. Doesn't turn 60 until November too

I had also just stumbled across him on my longlist and checked around. Usually the likes of the BBC are the first to say when one of their ill personalities is doing well, so the fact that there's been nothing from them since April and nothing from Alagiah himself since not long after suggests he might be a good shout for next year. Doesn't turn 60 until November too

Against that is the fact that when his illness was announced he made a point of asking for privacy, so that could be a simple reason for the media silence.

Considering that a bit of Maria de Valotta's brain just - kind of - came loose belatedly after her accident, we might want to consider Jules Bianchi.

Guest Steve

Suggestion to Deathlist: stop including unknown people. Examples from this year's list include: Wilko Johnson, Chris Woodhead and Joost van der Westhuizen. I live in Canada and am reasonably well informed. These people are totally unknown to me.

Sorry but there is no test for: does Steve of Canada know this person?

We get all sorts in here. It's a world village and a chance to stretch your mind a bit.

I have a Challenge for you, write us out a list of Fifty names, (people you really know of) who you will think will die in 2015 (but you must only have one national of each country) There are over 200 countries so it's not a tall order.

Anyway...

Well, pray tell us, how is Brian Mulroney? Because I keep investing in him but I've yet to see any return.

• Like 2

Sorry but there is no test for: does Steve of Canada know this person?

We get all sorts in here. It's a world village and a chance to stretch your mind a bit.

I have a Challenge for you, write us out a list of Fifty names, (people you really know of) who you will think will die in 2015 (but you must only have one national of each country) There are over 200 countries so it's not a tall order.

Anyway...

Well, pray tell us, how is Brian Mulroney? Because I keep investing in him but I've yet to see any return.

Agreed.

I mean, when I started lurking on here a long time ago, I'd never heard of George Melly (a generational thing) or Anne Feeney (an obscure folky thing) yet now love both. I'm still not really sure who Shaw Taylor was, but still, its cool to be introduced to new things. On the flipside, people I assumed were widely known (Timothy West, for example) drew blank faces from others.

In other words to the guest, its a small world, aye, but no need to be small minded in it.

• Like 3

I had to educate myself on Gough Whitlam and a number of other celebrities but I have assumed this was my ignorance and not their lack of significance.

However I do not extend that to Wrestlers, Poker Players and Ice Hockey Players. The fact that I do not know who these are is only to my credit.

• Like 3

I had to educate myself on Gough Whitlam and a number of other celebrities but I have assumed this was my ignorance and not their lack of significance.

However I do not extend that to ... Poker Players .

Yeah, I had Doyle Brunson on my longlist as well.

However I do not extend that to Wrestlers. The fact that I do not know who these are is only to my credit.

So you'd love a provisional DDP team of:

1. Cora Combs

2. Verne Gagne

3. Bill Mercer

4. Lance Russell

5. Lord Littlebrook (joker)

6. Jacques Rougeau Sr

7. Don Leo Jonathan

8. Dave Kidney

9. Dick Beyer

10. Dominic De Nucci

11. Rene Goulet

12. Danny Hodge

13. Gene La Bell

14. Gypsy Joe

15. Nick Bockwinkel

16.Jose Lothario

17. Mr Wrestling II

18. Les Thornton

19. Mr Fuji

20. Jack Lanza

Heh.

Mind you, most of them wouldn't obit. Except perhaps Nick Bockwinkel and Verne Gagne, both have severe dementia.

:D

Mr Fuji and Lord Littlebrook would get UK obits no problem. Les Thornton might as well. If Lance Russell died, he'd probably get a mention on a WWE broadcast so maybe he'd qualify for a SkySports obituary via that?

Mr Fuji and Lord Littlebrook would get UK obits no problem. Les Thornton might as well. If Lance Russell died, he'd probably get a mention on a WWE broadcast so maybe he'd qualify for a SkySports obituary via that?

Given the WWE gave a tribute video on RAW to Angelo Savoldi (!), that would really open the net wide.

Some of them would get Sun obits no bother, but I don't foresee going any time soon - its just the oldest names to come to mind.