Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Zorders

Who Should Be On The 2015 Deathlist?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/sir-tom-farmer-nearing-hibs-debt-deal-1-3629264

Sir Tom Farmer, Kwik Fit geezer who has ran Hibernian fc for a good while.

Today he worked a deal to shave £6m off their debts, which according to my Edinburgh friends is a 'parting gift'.

He looks shot...

2569147970.jpg

I suggest the King of Thailand, he's been having so many operations and sicknesses lately. Plus the fallout between the crown prince and his in-laws and the military coup will surely take a bigger toll on his frail health.

He has been in hospital for months and has looked like death for 5 years now!He is a must have for next year!

Suggestion to Deathlist: stop including unknown people. Examples from this year's list include: Wilko Johnson, Chris Woodhead and Joost van der Westhuizen. I live in Canada and am reasonably well informed. These people are totally unknown to me.

These two statements don't seem to tally.

I did have to look up JvdW but I presumed my total lack of interest in Rugby made that understandable.

Even if you didn't know Wilko Johnson's name you would have heard of Dr Hook therefore I think his inclusion was more than justified combined with his high profile battle with cancer.

Chris Woodhead is an odd one there have even been some UK comments on is he famous enough to be on here but we would happily inlcude Union Leaders and Churchmen so appointed high powered public officials should be fair game. To extend the Wilko analogy you may not know his name but you understand what Ofsted is right?

If Steve of Canada ever does I have a little quiz for him.

Ten thoroughly British types how many of them would you consider worthy of going on the list (ie you have heard of them)

1. Sylvester McCoy
  2. David Steel
  3. Bill Morris
  4. John Craven
  5. Andy Partridge
  6. Deninis Skinner
  7. Patricia Routledge
  8. Tanni Grey-Thompson
  9. Nigel Lawson
  10. Kevin Kennedy

Note even if you are not Steve of Canada you can comment on this list of Britishness.

• Like 1

Suggestion to Deathlist: stop including unknown people. Examples from this year's list include: Wilko Johnson, Chris Woodhead and Joost van der Westhuizen. I live in Canada and am reasonably well informed. These people are totally unknown to me.

I did have to look up JvdW but I presumed my total lack of interest in Rugby made that understandable.

Even if you didn't know Wilko Johnson's name you would have heard of Dr Hook therefore I think his inclusion was more than justified combined with his high profile battle with cancer.

Chris Woodhead is an odd one there have even been some UK comments on is he famous enough to be on here but we would happily inlcude Union Leaders and Churchmen so appointed high powered public officials should be fair game. To extend the Wilko analogy you may not know his name but you understand what Ofsted is right?

Ten thoroughly British types how many of them would you consider worthy of going on the list (ie you have heard of them)

1. Sylvester McCoy
  2. David Steel
  3. Bill Morris
  4. John Craven
  5. Andy Partridge
  6. Deninis Skinner
  7. Patricia Routledge
  8. Tanni Grey-Thompson
  9. Nigel Lawson
  10. Kevin Kennedy

Note even if you are not Steve of Canada you can comment on this list of Britishness.

Re Woodhead, he probably has the same level of fame as Baroness Butler-Sloss (ie, the former boss of the child abuse scandal investigation who had to resign because her brother was one of the alleged suspects).

As for that list, the main issue is almost none of them will die next year, except maybe Lawson, who is seriously ill. But then again, he has been for a year or two now, he's taken the Clive James route!

Is Kevin Kennedy unwell, bar lifestyle?

I saw Nigel Lawson on TV last week and he did look ropey I must say...

The fucker's looked like shit for ages. I didn't know he was "ill" though....... are we sure about this?

To me he just seems like the rough-faced-looking sort. Maybe someone, y'know Cheney'd him on a hunting trip in the 80s and we never heard about it? Who would do such a thing? My money's on Denis.

.....Well anyway........ whatever.

Feelgood.

To be fair Steve from Canada is likely to be more familiar with Dr Hook than Dr Feelgood.

• Like 1

The fucker's looked like shit for ages. I didn't know he was "ill" though....... are we sure about this?

To me he just seems like the rough-faced-looking sort. Maybe someone, y'know Cheney'd him on a hunting trip in the 80s and we never heard about it? Who would do such a thing? My money's on Denis.

.....Well anyway........ whatever.

There are rumours from indiscreet chatty journo/politico types offline that he has cancer of some sort. Should have added a "meant to be" to the above post, but there's a lot of smoke there.

I'm paying more attention to it, as when I heard Simon Hoggart was seriously ill, I forgot about it, and the next thing you know, he's bloody dead. And worse, no one picked him on the DDP.

1. Sylvester McCoy
  2. David Steel
  3. Bill Morris
  4. John Craven
  5. Andy Partridge
  6. Deninis Skinner
  7. Patricia Routledge
  8. Tanni Grey-Thompson
  9. Nigel Lawson
  10. Kevin Kennedy

Thanks. I will take up the challenge. :)

My take on it all:

1. Yes, internationally famous.

2. No, I had to Google him but someone a bit older than me would probably be familiar with the name.

3. I Googled him and I still not sure which Bill Morris you mean... :P Is it the cricketer? https://en.wikipedia...sambiguation%29

4. No, his television shows aren't internationally known.

5. The only Partridge musicians I know of are the Partridge family. ;) That's probably more a reflection on me though since I don't follow pop music that much. I have vaguely heard of XTC and I might even know a song or two if you played them for me.

6. Yes, internationally famous.

7. Yes, internationally famous.

8. No, I had never heard of her until I Googled her just now. Not known internationally.

9. Yes, internationally famous (mainly because of his daughter.)

10. No, I avoid soapies like the plague at the best of times and I don't think Coronation Street is even aired over here.

• Like 1

One of those ten could have been a member of The Smiths...

Anyway, I've no idea who Kevin Kennedy is, nor do I want to know anything about that sad dump of a TV Show that is Corrie!

PS the only real reason I have Liz Dawn on my team is that I really, really hate Corrie.

• Like 2

Anyway, I've no idea who Kevin Kennedy is, nor do I want to know anything about that sad dump of a TV Show that is Corrie!

PS the only real reason I have Liz Dawn on my team is that I really, really hate Corrie.

I like corrie. Guess I better start looking for a life now. :-(

• Like 1

One of those ten could have been a member of The Smiths...

Patricia Routledge? ;)

It'll be a sad day when the Bucket woman finally kicks the said Bucket.

• Like 1

I'm British and I have no idea who Andy Partridge is and thought you meant Andy Parsons. Even after googling I'm not really any the wiser and I'm still not sure who Dr Feelgood are either.

Chris Woodhead on the other hand I'm all too familiar with.

• Like 2

1. Sylvester McCoy
  2. David Steel
  3. Bill Morris
  4. John Craven
  5. Andy Partridge
  6. Deninis Skinner
  7. Patricia Routledge
  8. Tanni Grey-Thompson
  9. Nigel Lawson
  10. Kevin Kennedy

My take on it all:

2. No, I had to Google him but someone a bit older than me would probably be familiar with the name.

3. I Googled him and I still not sure which Bill Morris you mean... :P Is it the cricketer? https://en.wikipedia...sambiguation%29

5. The only Partridge musicians I know of are the Partridge family. ;) That's probably more a reflection on me though since I don't follow pop music that much. I have vaguely heard of XTC and I might even know a song or two if you played them for me.

8. No, I had never heard of her until I Googled her just now. Not known internationally.

10. No, I avoid soapies like the plague at the best of times and I don't think Coronation Street is even aired over here.

Just for fun, I will throw it back at you with some Australian equivalents. See how many you know.... Again, these are all household names in Australia.

1. Okay, I am stumped to think of an Aussie equivalent to Sylvester McCoy.... Maybe Barry Humphries in terms of quirkiness and fame-level. :P

2. Cheryl Kernot

3. Arthur Morris

4. Kerry O'Brien

5. Red Symons

6. Gareth Evans

7. Ruth Cracknell (dead but a good equivalent to Routledge.)

8. Melissa Carlton

9. Peter Costello

10. Peter Rowsthorn.

1. Sylvester McCoy
  2. David Steel
  3. Bill Morris
  4. John Craven
  5. Andy Partridge
  6. Deninis Skinner
  7. Patricia Routledge
  8. Tanni Grey-Thompson
  9. Nigel Lawson
  10. Kevin Kennedy

My take on it all:

Just for fun, I will throw it back at you with some Australian equivalents. See how many you know.... Again, these are all household names in Australia.

1. Okay, I am stumped to think of an Aussie equivalent to Sylvester McCoy.... Maybe Barry Humphries in terms of quirkiness and fame-level. :P

2. Cheryl Kernot

3. Arthur Morris

4. Kerry O'Brien

5. Red Symons

6. Gareth Evans

8. Melissa Carlton

9. Peter Costello

10. Peter Rowsthorn.

Re those ten thoroughly British types; it's a decent bet they'll be breathing this time next year. Their chance of death within the next twelve months is usually a fairly strong qualifying element for DL selection.

2. Cheryl Kernot

3. Arthur Morris

4. Kerry O'Brien

5. Red Symons

6. Gareth Evans

8. Melissa Carlton

9. Peter Costello

10. Peter Rowsthorn.

People I've heard of....

Barry Humphries. That is all.

Admittedly, my knowledge of Australia culture sucks beyond a few PMs and the stars known here (Kylie, Clive James, that disgraced formers kid tv guy, etc)

Feelgood.

To be fair Steve from Canada is likely to be more familiar with Dr Hook than Dr Feelgood.

Whoops!

1. Sylvester McCoy
  2. David Steel
  3. Bill Morris
  4. John Craven
  5. Andy Partridge
  6. Deninis Skinner
  7. Patricia Routledge
  8. Tanni Grey-Thompson
  9. Nigel Lawson
  10. Kevin Kennedy

My take on it all:

2. Cheryl Kernot

3. Arthur Morris

4. Kerry O'Brien

5. Red Symons

6. Gareth Evans

8. Melissa Carlton

9. Peter Costello

10. Peter Rowsthorn.

Good call without resorting to Google only Barry Humphries registers with me.

• Like 1

I always said that the qualifying feature for DeathList picks is that they should all get their deaths mentioned on the 9 O'Clock News. It seems as useful a metric as any.

1. Sylvester McCoy
  2. David Steel
  3. Bill Morris
  4. John Craven
  5. Andy Partridge
  6. Deninis Skinner
  7. Patricia Routledge
  8. Tanni Grey-Thompson
  9. Nigel Lawson
  10. Kevin Kennedy

Re Woodhead, he probably has the same level of fame as Baroness Butler-Sloss (ie, the former boss of the child abuse scandal investigation who had to resign because her brother was one of the alleged suspects).

As for that list, the main issue is almost none of them will die next year, except maybe Lawson, who is seriously ill. But then again, he has been for a year or two now, he's taken the Clive James route!

Is Kevin Kennedy unwell, bar lifestyle?

These were not meant to be Daethlist suggestions but examples of British types to guage how much crossover culture there is between UK and Commonwealth countries. As soon as I had put Sylvester McCoy on the list I realised I had made a mistake because of his role in the Hobbit movies. I should have gone for Colin Baker instead or one of the cast of Blake's 7.

As for people who don't know who Andy Partridge is then compulsary listening to Senses Working Overtime should follow until they agree it is the best song ever.

As for people who don't know who Andy Partridge is then compulsary listening to Senses Working Overtime should follow until they agree it is the best song ever.

OK, but I don't know the names of every member of every band who recorded a few decent songs.

TBH the first thing that sprang to mind was a radio presenter, but I was probably thinking of Alan Partridge. :lol: