RonnyMan

Pelé

I wouldn't put Putin on the list at all tbh. There's too many better names out there to waste a spot on a punt, even a cunt like Putin.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

I’d put Rolf Harris ahead of Pele and Carter in a heartbeat. Harris, Pele, James Whale, Carter, Bob Barker would make my top five next year in that order.

The no. 50 spot could be most appropriate for Putin, as we don’t know what is exactly going on with his health situation but the rumours are getting overwhelming. I’m putting Andy Taylor in my no. 50 though, he’s young and his condition isn’t immediately life threatening; a lot of young musicians have also been put at no. 50 before on the DL.

Cant disagree with that logically.I feel though that Carter and Pele are most deserving of their spot at Number 1 but Rolf harris needs to be at position 3 or above.Whale I would put at 4 or 5 :certainly ahead of Barker. Putin should be on a very low place yes but Taylor should be in the Top 40.Age doesn`t matter statistically he is a good pick and he is incredibly notable.Yes he may see 2024 but the odds aren`t in his favour.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, msc said:

I wouldn't put Putin on the list at all tbh. There's too many better names out there to waste a spot on a punt, even a cunt like Putin.

Problem with Putin is he is the instigator of a major war and has a lot of rumours surrounding him which dont appear to be all smoke and mirrors.Hence why he should get a low position.Something is wrong with him and he is a wanted man.Those factors combined make him DL material.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

Problem with Putin is he is the instigator of a major war and has a lot of rumours surrounding him which dont appear to be all smoke and mirrors.Hence why he should get a low position.Something is wrong with him and he is a wanted man.Those factors combined make him DL material.

And we  can't rule out the possibilty of a 'Palace Coup' next year either

• Like 1

If you want to vote for the most deserving nº50 spot, I suggest the award thread (advertising you know :D)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Daredevil said:

I’d put Rolf Harris ahead of Pele and Carter in a heartbeat. Harris, Pele, James Whale, Carter, Bob Barker would make my top five next year in that order.

The no. 50 spot could be most appropriate for Putin, as we don’t know what is exactly going on with his health situation but the rumours are getting overwhelming. I’m putting Andy Taylor in my no. 50 though, he’s young and his condition isn’t immediately life threatening; a lot of young musicians have also been put at no. 50 before on the DL.

Can you really put someone at #1 who is a complete unknown on the largest English-speaking continent, though?

• Thanks 1

Martin Crowe was at #1 and he's a nobody over here. I'd stick Kissinger at the top, though.

11 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Can you really put someone at #1 who is a complete unknown on the largest English-speaking continent, though?

Absolutely.  His versatility speaks for itself. 

Singer (including a number 1 hit and a Led Zeppelin cover)

Musician (including invention of the wobble board)

TV presenter

Artist (painted a portrait of the Queen among much else)

Convicted paedophile

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, tracy said:

Martin Crowe was at #1 and he's a nobody over here. I'd stick Kissinger at the top, though.

I've no idea who that is.  I guess, to me at least, it doesn't seem like the list knows what it wants to be.  Do they want to pick internationally known names to draw attention, do they want to be predominately UK-centric, or do they want to snag cheap hits here and there with obscure names (like most of us do in our pools)?

32 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:
1 hour ago, tracy said:

I've no idea who that is.  I guess, to me at least, it doesn't seem like the list knows what it wants to be.  Do they want to pick internationally known names to draw attention, do they want to be predominately UK-centric, or do they want to snag cheap hits here and there with obscure names (like most of us do in our pools)?

Kissinger is a former US politician and diplomat who  :D  (just kidding)

Martin Crowe was a New Zealand cricketer, so yes he was internationally known, although perhaps not in non-cricketing nations. 

Fun fact, he was also a cousin of the actor Russell Crowe.

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

Kissinger is a former US politician and diplomat who  :D  (just kidding)

Martin Crowe was a New Zealand cricketer, so yes he was internationally known, although perhaps not in non-cricketing nations. 

Fun fact, he was also a cousin of the actor Russell Crowe.

Aren't there only 3 cricketing nations?

I actually would know Rolf Harris without this forum as Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport charted pretty high in the States and surprisingly I've heard it on 60s radio a few times. Granted, a fraction of his UK fame/infamy.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

There's about 20.  South America is the only continent where it's not played, afaik.

46 minutes ago, Toast said:

There's about 20.  South America is the only continent where it's not played, afaik.

Guyana plays cricket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

1 hour ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Cricket is most prominent in countries that are former British colonies at the height of the British Empire, and what's now Guyana is the only part of South America that is a full ICC member, as part of the West Indies' team.

If Pele goes in the next few days there could be another example like Diana + Mother Teresa or JFK + CS Lewis, where one death overshadows the other, in this case Christine McVie.

• Haha 1

Just now, The Doctor said:

The link it's not working...

That’s how old it is!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

I can help you on this one. The list is whatever Grim and his pals feel like it is when they have their annual piss up Cmme meeting. Some years they want punt picks on folk out of the limelight, some years they've been on a Mary Tyler Moore kick, some years sport is their bag. The link, if there is any, is names a group of 50-something-year old folk with access to 21st Century internet have heard of, enough to put on their list. It's as open to whim as a really big DDP team. Just one that accidentally built a cult fandom around it!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

deleted

You know something we don’t? 

Hoping for a 'Pele finally goes Stiff' headline when he goes rather than a 'Pele scores for Death List'

• Like 1

I’m sure it’s been used before but ‘Life shows Pelé the red card’. (Boo…hiss..)

• Like 1