Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

T-Mib the god of this shit, no debating. Amazing effort, you really are owed a pint by every player this year.

Time for some fag packet aspergers, here's people who were picked on this year's DDP by more than one of last year's top 11 teams (due to OoO's retirement):

Nine Picks

Sam Simon

Eight Picks

Kate Granger

Six Picks

Daisy Berkowitz
Helen Fawkes

Five Picks
Colin Bloomfield
Lauren Hill
Martin Crowe
Four Picks
Caroline Aherne
Dave Benton
George H. W. Bush, Sr.
Gino Odjick
Little Jimmy Dickens
Three Picks
Ahmad "Real" Givens
Clive Derby-Lewis
Clive James
G. Monty Brinson
Joost van der Westhuizen
Leonard Nimoy
Lynne Stewart
Muhammad Ali
René Angélil
Rev Billy Graham
Vojislav Seselj
Zsa Zsa Gabor
Two Picks
Aimee Willett
Bob Benmosche
Christy Dignam
Fernando Ricksen
Jock Scott
Jorge Zorreguieta
Mary Tyler Moore
Mike Porcaro
Paul Gascoigne
Percy Sledge
Ritchii Kara
Stuart Scott
Tony Booth
Valerie Harper
Yoshiro Nakamatsu
  • Like 1

I echo every sentiment expressed above. Thanks for a good job well done.

I hate to be a nitpicker but the Misao Okawa picture is not Misao Okawa. It's another super-centenarian named Tome Takaoka. :rolleyes:

Also, Rick Ross was not born in 1926. Just sayin'.

Well done TMIB - great work as always!

I note Caroline Aherne is the highest new (well, not from last year) entry into the Drop Forty. Only one unique for the Pan Breed team, but I think the uniques are not as big a deal for the also runs as opposed to actually going for folk who might die. So less Michael Joplings and more Martin Crowes.

Thanks so much, 1st timer, possibly hopeless but the work that goes in TMIB, a-maz-ing! Glad to be here also after my early January heart attack (egad!).

TMIB's epic contribution to the DDP should get him a five hour energy shot or a black coffee .. the guy probably doesn't know where the fuck he is.

No. Water man, water. Big gasp of fresh air too.

Oh, um... by the way..... the guy who entered as "I'm 85 In March and I'm Still a Sicko!" last year isn't in this year.....

Are we to er...presume? :rip:

• Like 2

Tremendous, thank you very much indeed TMIB, and well done!

May I offer one correction. One of my selections is Henry Sandon (of Antiques Roadshow fame), but he is listed as Henry Sandison (a name unknown to me).

Guest pedro

As I'm running a mini league (Work/family etc) based on DDP rules, good luck to the nine new players I've bought to the DDP (and this forum) this year. Sure you'll enjoy it.

I already thanked TMIB for his work, but looking at the homepage, thanks also due to Big-Iain, Rude Kid, Siegfried Baboon, Octopus of Odstock, WEP 2.0 - World's Eternity Prophet Reloaded, The Grey Horde, Thomas Jefferson Survives & Bibliogryphon.

So.. I was deprived of a unique on Jean Nidetch by some goofball named Fireball. And Paul Volcker isn't unique cos some exciting chappy decided to enter an economists theme team............... happy days

Funny team names noticed so far:

The Good the Bad and Cliff Richard

Puke on My Grave

The Policies of Benjamin Netanyahu (WTFF?)

Further observations:

Michael Shitparker's off the Drop 40

Ian Watkins is too

No-one picked Olly Croft (British darts guy who was one of my uniques last year)....

Great to see Rob Ford finally getting the trainwreckognition he deserves

• Like 1

I already thanked TMIB for his work, but looking at the homepage, thanks also due to Big-Iain, Rude Kid, Siegfried Baboon, Octopus of Odstock, WEP 2.0 - World's Eternity Prophet Reloaded, The Grey Horde, Thomas Jefferson Survives & Bibliogryphon.

I'm impressed, somebody who reads the small print.

regards,

Hein

Tremendous, thank you very much indeed TMIB, and well done!

May I offer one correction. One of my selections is Henry Sandon (of Antiques Roadshow fame), but he is listed as Henry Sandison (a name unknown to me).

Oh shit, I thought I changed that!

A quick question:

Has everyone received their email telling them they're in the DDP for this year?

No, afraid not. I've emailed you this morning resending my original email... :shock2:

Guest WEP

So.. I was deprived of a unique on Jean Nidetch by some goofball named Fireball. And Paul Volcker isn't unique cos some exciting chappy decided to enter an economists theme team............... happy days

Why is Chinese linguist Zhou Youguang on that team? Maybe he was confused with Yang Jingnian?

Guest Valar Morghulis

Can someone tell me why I can't access the 2015 Derby Dead Pool? I take it from comments here that TMIB has finished and others seem able to look at the 2015 teams and their picks, but not me here in the US.

TMIB - If I may fill in a gap for you, Sqn Ldr George Johnny Johnson was born on 25-11-21 near Horncastle Lincs. Source.

Apologies if you already have this info and justhaven't had a chance to add it.

Some other fucker nicked my William Dunlop, and I'm surprised nobody else picked Glock.

Many thanks to you TMIB, brilliant work!

Why is Chinese linguist Zhou Youguang on that team? Maybe he was confused with Yang Jingnian?

Possibly, I'll check that one out...

Just looked at the probable winner's team...not many celebrities though.

Also, just to clarify...Henry Sandon, not Sandison. My error, not yours.

Top work as ever TMIB.

Gonna be hard pressed to get close to the Top 10 this year. Some stupid misses already and many more to come...

A few 'ill under-the-radar despite being notable' choice picks:

Chuck Blazer (selected by DDT) who is "gravely ill" with colon cancer and Frank Miller (selected by Bert Trautmann) who's putting on his best Steve Jobs.

That is my team. Check Zhou Youguang's wikipedia entry. He worked as an economist as well.

(I have to make note regarding Yang Jingnian for next year.)

Here's some stuff I noticed last night while browsing through the names (none of these are jabs which I hope goes without saying):

A world leaders theme team has "Milt Schmidt" selected, who is an ice hockey player. Surely that should be Helmut instead?

Robert Kinoshita died on the 9th of December, but was another Bess Myerson case in that it wasn't actually known until after the new year began - the 13th to be precise. The following names are also dead, and are all obscurish very, very old people that needless to say slipped through everyone's radar last year: Arthur Gardner, Emmanuel Kriaras, Sophie Masloff, Knut Nystedt (though Gardner died late in December, so possible that he was entered in the pool while still alive...)

Also noticed cancer blogger Judith McGuinness's write up stating how "she didn't blog in two years so prepare for the worst", so I did a bit of digging and lo and behold...

Shivakumara Swamiji is picked twice but under two different names, one with the "Sree Sree" honorific and one without.

Guest WEP

Robert Kinoshita died on the 9th of December, but was another Bess Myerson case in that it wasn't actually known until after the new year began - the 13th to be precise. The following names are also dead, and are all obscurish very, very old people that needless to say slipped through everyone's radar last year: Arthur Gardner, Emmanuel Kriaras, Sophie Masloff, Knut Nystedt (though Gardner died late in December, so possible that he was entered in the pool while still alive...)

Masloff would have scored: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-2727284/Sophie-Masloff-1st-female-Pittsburgh-mayor-dies.html

Who picked her?