Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

As someone with Dave Benton as my JOKER in my team, i cant really comment on Lauren Hill although I'm staggered that I missed her myself :(

With all this talk, I'm reminded once again how ironic it is that most of the shrug-happy people here who think the DDP would/will have a long life expectancy when we get to the stage where the Drop 40 consists of a bunch of 19-year-old, female basketball players and young doctors who could chirp for England are the same kind of people who would lecture us about capitalism being "unsustainable".

Hoping we see at least one major record broken this year, wonder if we can have four teams score three-figures in a season?

Well, you've got Bloomfield/Crowe/Granger/Boggs plus points for Hill which should take you to circa 100.

Thomas Jefferson (who is that on here again?) has Bloomfield/Crowe/Granger plus points for Hill and Trewin. So circa 110.

DDT has Blazer/Bloomfield/Crowe/Villeneuve Sr plus points for Hill and Trewin. So circa 90.

And rounding out the four, Golden Slumbers's certs would take them to circa 80.

That's just going off the dead certs. All the teams have folk who may well die but I know sod all about them, the Christy Dignams and Clive Derby-Lewis's of the world.

Hoping we see at least one major record broken this year, wonder if we can have four teams score three-figures in a season?

Well, you've got Bloomfield/Crowe/Granger/Boggs plus points for Hill which should take you to circa 100.

Thomas Jefferson (who is that on here again?) has Bloomfield/Crowe/Granger plus points for Hill and Trewin. So circa 110.

DDT has Blazer/Bloomfield/Crowe/Villeneuve Sr plus points for Hill and Trewin. So circa 90.

That's just going off the dead certs. All the teams have folk who may well die but I know sod all about them, the Christy Dignams and Clive Derby-Lewis's of the world.

I think Dignam and CDL are both 90% likely to go this year: the former has just cancelled all forthcoming gigs and has been in hospital for week-long stays twice this year, the latter is a Chris Woodhead-esque "fucking hell surely he's got to die this year" punt.

With all this talk, I'm reminded once again how ironic it is that most of the shrug-happy people here who think the DDP would/will have a long life expectancy when we get to the stage where the Drop 40 consists of a bunch of 19-year-old, female basketball players are the same kind of people who would lecture us about capitalism being "unsustainable".

Sorry what the fuck? I don't know where you're getting the ability to know everyone;s political views on here, but whatever.

On the actual point, we need to review the rules to some degree. I'm pretty sure we're nearing the point where a team of 20 guaranteed deaths could be fathomed up from famous for dying types.

Jin Youzhi's death reported in Chinese, I'll have a hunt for a qualifying obit. ;)

I reckon your hits record is pretty safe. Points record is in danger. Overall hits? Touch and go...

I reckon your hits record is pretty safe. Points record is in danger. Overall hits? Touch and go...

I'm not sure about the hits record. As far as I know, only Gino Odjick is a sure miss for Death Impends. I guess he's looking at 16-17 hits.

That's myself.

It does seem like all of the "big five" are poised to croak this year, the young names that every team with a shot of winning has at least four of on board - Simon, Hill, Granger, Crowe, Bloomfield. Two dead, two refusing cancer treatment, one in hospice. If the living three of the five all go, another hit from my roster on top of that would ensure a broken points record... but that being said, I'm not confident at all in victory, such is the strength of the other teams.

First quarter of the year over and folks talking as if it's all over. Well, it might be.

Was thinking about this all day today. As far as excluding the terminally ill, who decides when you become terminal? It's fairly clear you can't make or impose that judgement call on the last minute of 31 December. It's a lottery that they might make an amazing recovery, or not obit.

Folks who use their illness to fundraise or blog do gain an element of celebrity, that's an inevitability.

I guess really what the competition boils down to is - how do you feel about winning? If it's gained on the back of the sick and dying, that might say a lot about the society we live in, the winners win on the backs of the least able (I don't subscribe to that). I agree with what was said in another thread, most of us don't want our picks to die. I know it's only a game, like life I know, but I'm intrigued by the motivation (on which I make no judgement call myself) by those who pick on the weakest to gain an (albeit virtual) victory.

I know I'm newish here and this may have been rehearsed before. Just my tuppence. Points are points after all.

As far as excluding the terminally ill, who decides when you become terminal? It's fairly clear you can't make or impose that judgement call on the last minute of 31 December. It's a lottery that they might make an amazing recovery, or not obit.

Folks who use their illness to fundraise or blog do gain an element of celebrity, that's an inevitability.

I don't think being described as "terminal" is a factor. I just see them as people who are only "famous" because they are ill.

• Like 1

As far as excluding the terminally ill, who decides when you become terminal? It's fairly clear you can't make or impose that judgement call on the last minute of 31 December. It's a lottery that they might make an amazing recovery, or not obit.

I don't think being described as "terminal" is a factor. I just see them as people who are only "famous" because they are ill.

I agree. I guess that if a person has little to no investment in their own life from the "celebrity" (howsoever that celebrity is gained) they choose other than the ability to gain points in a competition, it's a strange pick. And yet we learn so much from this site about....well...stuff.

I guess what I'm saying from my own perspective is there is a chance here to share our thoughts about a person who has passed on, possibly from our own experience of knowing them or having some experience through what they have done. Picking someone from a list of cancer sufferers without knowledge aforethought...I leave that to the conscience of those who pick them. Richie Benaud and Leonard Nimoy I can understand: Stephen Sutton, Kate Granger and Lauren Hill..not for me.

TMIB said it was controversial...possibly....

• Like 1

Can't see my team posing a genuine threat for the title unless my unique picks step up to the plate but it doesn't seem likely with Hanh well on the road to recovery and Hadzic probably not 'that' ill. TJS still has his joker to come and we have a lot of picks in common so it's going to take a couple of uniques for me to have a real chance.

Although it would be something realistically to get double-figures in hits and triple-figures in score...

Still it's nice just to be mentioned in such esteemed dead-pooling company

Looking at your list Bert I would be surprised if you didn't reach at minimum the 11-12 range of hits with the possibility of even more. Crowe,Granger and Bloomfield seem safe bets to not reach 2016,Monty Brinson and Frank Miller in pictures looks Sam Simon-Robin late stages small. Also it seems Sultan Qaboos and Percy Sledge depending on reports are in the very late stages of cancer.

Judith Malina, founder of the Living Theatre, died at the age of 88.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/11/theater/judith-malina-founder-of-the-living-theater-dies-at-88.html

Most likely she is better known as Grandma Addams:

6208841644_bac0ce3965.jpg

Hoping for a proper UK orbit to get me some fine unique points...

She was also Paulie's aunt/mother in "The Sopranos" as well.

Book is there a reason you keep calling obits orbits other than to irritate the pedants among us?

Oh. :D Thanks for the correction.

obit and obituaries, check.

I like the way orbits sound I think I will now use that instead of obits or obituary. ^_^

• Like 1

Thank you very much, YoungWillz!

But I can't believe that this ist "the only official" UK orbit. Why are there no orbituaries on other news sites?

Some are almost instantaneous, either because they are currently in the news or they are instantly recognisable, or even because they have been suffering an illness for some time and the stories/obits are pre-written. Others take a little longer because they need to be looked out and updated, or independently verified. I assume we shall see more formal obits rather than announcements in the days to come.