Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

2015 DDP Salvage Lot

Official thread for you to list those picks you dropped at the final minute in the 2015 DDP. You will not be allowed to complain "I nearly nearly picked him!" in any threads after someone dies unless you mention them specifically in here.

I'll open with two big, big names: Phil Taylor's mum and Thibaut Courtois's dad.

• Like 1

The 35 names on the Hartlepool and Hares pools, and Greville Janner as I made a mental note to remember him then forgot.

Otherwise:

George Alagiah

Janet Asimov

Judy Blume

Jim Bowen

Jorge Zorrigeuta

Jean Alexander

Were late omissions.

I was very close to choosing Putin critic Alexej Nawalny, but I decided that the gamble on Alexis Tsipras was enough.

Edit: And I also forgot to include Jacques Delors...

Eric 'Winkle' Brown and George A Cooper only made the sub's bench. Thought I'd go with younger and/or possible uniques instead.

I left out some of my classic argentinian picks like Carlos Menem and Hebe de Bonafini.

Others that were shortlisted but I left out include:

Malcolm Young

Seijun Suzuki

Monica Vitti

Paul Gascoigne

Benedict XVI

Abdulla the Butcher

Jake "The Snake" Roberts

Leonard Nimoy

Mary Tyler Moore

Olivia de Havilland

Octavio Lepage

Noun Chea

Helen Fawkes

Kate Granger

Glen Campbell

Liz Dawn

Alcides Ghiggia

Carlo Azeglio Ciampi

Some of these may make my alternative 50 but they didn't make DDP

Rejected because I had too many oldsters already.

Movita Casteneda

Cyril Frankel

Rejected because I'm not sure how ill they are

Kenneth Anger

Gro Harlem Brundtland

Marcia Barrett

Sofie Grabol

Rejected because I like them too much.

Tim Curry

Tom Lehrer

Gene Wilder

I kicked Georg Uecker and Edward Snowdon because I hadn't have 22 places :(

Well, I'm not part of the DDP, but as far as my personal celebrity deathlist is concerned, I kicked Julian Assange and Joseph Kony to the curb.

Rob Ford was the main one. Just not convinced he's going in the next 12 months. Ditto Helen Fawkes and Percy Sledge. But I've gambled on a couple of others who also might not

It's a tough year. There are a couple of dead certs but there's not much info going round on some of the likely popular picks. And obviously last year's nailed on picks (Simon, Wilko etc) surviving the year just makes it even trickier

Guest Guest

Tom Lehrer

Always thought Lehrer would be a good DL pick tbh.

Me too, but I'm too superstitious to suggest it.

Tom Lehrer

That was me.

Tom Lehrer

That was me.

It would only be fair for him to survive Henry Kissinger and his quote on the death of satire be resurrected.

We will all go together when he goes.

What a comforting fact that is to know.

• Like 1

Names that I rejected:

• Mu'ath Safi Yousef al-Kaseasbeh. Small chances of seeing 2016, but chopped by the ISIS ruling
  • Hans Breukhoven. Pancreatic cancer. Small chance of obit
  • Viktor Korchnoi. Still playing in 2014
  • Valentina Tereshkova. Silence...

regards,

Hein

Here are the people who just missed my DDP main team

21-40

Gino Odjick

Bryan Wiedmeier*think these 2 will die also think less than 50% chance they get the req obit

Francis George*

Oj Brigance

Rev Billy Graham

Nurse Pauline Cafferkey

George Coe "Voice of Woodhouse"

Ritchii Kara

Ian Brady

Lynne Stewart

Ib Melchior

Rene Angelil

Clive James

Muhammad Ali

Avdelaziz Bouteflika

Desmond Tutu

Valerie Harper

Kirk Kerkorian

Abdullah The Butcher

Al Molinaro

Here are my candidates who unfortunately didn't make it to my DDP team:

1. Joost van der Westhuizen

2. Hosni Mubarak

3. Javier Perez de Cuellar

4. Monty Hall

5. Daisy Berkowitz

6. Joao Havelange

7. Desmond Tutu

8. Yasuhiro Nakasone

9. Nancy Reagan

10. Al Molinaro

I left off Lauren Hill because I didn't think she will get the obit, but I have a feeling I'll be wrong now... I dropped Clive James and Valerie Harper but retained basically everyone else.

Three I very strongly considered:

Peter Brabeck-Letmathe - F1 Chairman, standing down due to "curable" ill health, but apparently still retaining some power so...

Xu Caihou - Chinese general who escaped a corruption trial with apparent terminal cancer; got too many terminal criminals so he got left off.

Miriam Defensor Santiago - former ICC judge, has lung cancer, but apparently doing well and running for President of the Philippines

Santiago was one of those picks who went from "100% guaranteed definite" for me when I first read about her to "not a chance" when I started investigating. Between the toss-up nature of the obit (do ICC judges automatically obit?) through to her seeming ability to keep on doing things at full-speed in her career, I went long.

Gonna throw a few more names out:

Debi Gibson: Model and TV extra, played the young Big Mo Slater in one of those "experimental" Eastenders specials from a few years back. Claims to have terminal eye cancer that'd kill her in weeks but that was back in April. Gets plenty of media coverage despite not being remotely famous though, could be a miss.

Guido Westerwelle: German right-wing funster and homosexual. Leukaemia but from what Google translate tells me caught relatively early. Not seen much in public since diagnosis though.

Alan Ainscow: One football forum said he had prostate cancer, another said terminal bone cancer. Had a punt on it being the former.

Dr Beverley Hall: Woman at the centre of the Atlanta school exam scandal a few years back when inner-city schools were found to be faking exam scores. Probably not notable enough for an obituary though, unless via nefarious Yahoo video means.

Bobby Bragg: The guy who did the commentaries on Supermarket Sweep. The final drop from my team but I'm pretty sure he's gone this year.

I had a whole shadow list to my shadow list, another 50 with no room at the inn...

Al Anderson, Michael Aspel, Tom Baker, Bob Barker, Pope Benedict XVI, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Jim Bowen, Lord Carrington, Julie Chang, George Cole, Judy Collins, Doug Ellis, Louis Farrakhan, Helen Fawkes, Aretha Franklin, Mikhail Gorbachev, Kate Granger, King Harald V of Norway, Alison Hartley (bbc Essex), Jenny Inman, Wilko Johnson, Louis Jourdan, Candye Kane, Henry Kissinger, Helmut Kohl, Phil Lesh, Jerry Lewis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Teodoro Obiang Nquema Mbasogo, John McVie, Shih Ming-Teh, Tracy Morgan, Shelley Morrison, Hosni Mubarak, Jim Nabors, Manuel Noriega, Maureen O'Hara, Peter O'Sullevan, Seymour Papert, Nile Rodgers, William Russell, Robert Schuller, Vojislav Seselj, Micheal Schumacher, Lupita Tovar, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Murray Walker, Sir Nicholas Winton, Chris Woodhead & Malcolm Young.

I'm annoyed with myself that I forgot Jules Bianchi and Sheila Sim.

People discussed who didn't make the cut for 2015: Billy Graham,Christopher Lee, Richie Benaud. No doubt they'll drop dead within the week.

I took off these people from my list, this year.

Lindsey Lohan

Aretha Franklin

Pete Rose

Peter Tork

Ringo Starr

Louis Anderson

Liza Minnelli

John Goodman

Roseanne Barr

I'm one of those poolers who likes to make a lot of room for new talent, so I cut every survivor from my 2014 roster except for Simon, Granger, and John McCabe. Daisy Berkowitz was the last drop for me, both among the survivors and overall. Already scheduling concerts again, so despite his value and popularity I'm not convinced he'll go this year; swapped him for Aherne who is in a similar vaguely-ill-but-popular category and it just didn't feel right not having at least one female on board who was famous beyond having cancer.

Rob Ford, Helen Fawkes, Rene Angelil, Jenny Diski among others I likewise think will see 2016. Jean Dore, Ahmad Givens and Dave Benton were among three I found too risky obitwise though two of those are on my Deathrace roster.

Ultimately excluded all jailbirds; Stewart and Seselj are way too spry for having purportedly dire illnesses. But I feel like I'm going to regret cutting Clive Derby-Lewis; I already had a lot of seventysomethings but as exaggerated as his condition often is, there definitely seems to be a true end-zone feeling to his illness this time.

I dropped Jacques Villeneuve Sr. because I'm not convinced he'll get an obituary, although I'm pretty sure he's a goner. Same goes for Benton and Givens.

Dropped Chrisley and Kara but I think they'll both sneak the obituary in hindsight. Think Stuart Scott will probably go as well but can't find concrete information on the nature of his cancer.

Eldar Ryanazov was an option I thought would be unique, but I'm not entirely sure on his illness or his obituary chances so I bottled that one.