Sign in to follow this  
InquilineKea

University Presidents?

Thomas H.B. Symons, the founding president of Trent University, has died. He was 91.  In 1961, at age 33, Symons created a university for the city of Peterborough (Ontario, Canada). He remained as president through 1972.

https://kawarthanow.com/2021/01/02/trent-university-founding-president-thomas-h-b-symons-has-passed-away/

• Like 1

Why is there a question mark after the title to this thread ?

25 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Why is there a question mark after the title to this thread ?

Probably because the person who started it wasn’t certain of how it would be received. 

And they were right to doubt themselves. It’s the most boring thread on the whole forum.

• Like 5

Dr. Samuel L. Myers Sr., who was president of Bowie State University from 1967 to 1977, part of a long and distinguished career that included World War II service and earning a doctorate from Harvard, where he worked with prolific economist John Kenneth Galbraith on his dissertation, has died. He was 101.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/obituaries/bs-md-ob-samuel-myers-20210116-6ogvqfcnnbgmblvbwdyslbt26u-story.html

The President of the University of Scranton has diedReverend Scott Pilarz was diagnosed with ALS about three years ago. Officials say he passed away today due to complications from the disease. The 61-year-old had planned to step down from his role at the university in May.

SC

• Like 1

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

John Polkinghorne, a physicist and president of Queen's College from 1989 to 1996, has died. He was 90.

https://queens.shorthandstories.com/college-announcement-john-polkinghorne/

Polkinghorne is a huge death in the academic world.

Also a Templeton Prize winner. Don't we have a list for that somewhere? Think it was from before my time but sure I've read it on DL before.

• Like 1

Anthony Smith, former president of Magdalen College Oxford, could be a good one for next year's list.

My first (and last) visit to this woeful thread in a while. Cheers @En Passant.

21 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Anthony Smith, former president of Magdalen College Oxford, could be a good one for next year's list.

I accept that one’s Deathlistiness is somewhat subjective. But this can cunt off multiple times until it gets back here, and then cunt off again.

I’d never opened this thread. I was warned not to by eminently sensible people. I foolishly ignored them and peeked at the sun. And now I am blind.

Do we even have university presidents in the UK? We do have student union presidents though; I distinctly remember a stray cat running a strong campaign at Warwick until it was disqualified on some technicality like not being able to speak or having four legs.

4 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

My first (and last) visit to this woeful thread in a while. Cheers @En Passant.

I accept that one’s Deathlistiness is somewhat subjective. But this can cunt off multiple times until it gets back here, and then cunt off again.

A bit strong. He's actually a very nice chap.

• Haha 1

Why is there no Polytechnic Presidents thread? I think I will open one. They must all be near death by now. 

17 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Why is there no Polytechnic Presidents thread? I think I will open one. They must all be near death by now. 

They all withered with the Polytechnics

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

They all withered with the Polytechnics

Which became Universities. So they still have the link. A majority of University President positions were a Poly position 30 years ago (approx).  No one is a waiter/ress these days. They are floor managers. Same upgrade. Poly Heads need a thread. 

Surely this should be in the Academics thread. No-one should be a University President without an academic background.

Also in the UK we have Chancellors and Vice-Chancellors rather than Presidents

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Surely this should be in the Academics thread. No-one should be a University President without an academic background.

Oxbridge colleges have presidents in many/most cases (they can also be called master, dean etc, depending on the college), and also they do not have to have had an academic research background (although I imagine they have all been to university at some point).

This is turning into one of my favourite threads ...

7 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Do we even have university presidents in the UK?

25 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

in the UK we have Chancellors and Vice-Chancellors rather than Presidents

True.  Although the Oxford colleges have differing terms for their heads, eg Master, Warden, Principal.  The recently mentioned Magdalen College does have a President. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heads_of_houses_of_the_University_of_Oxford

I see that "Master" is still allowed, and that most of the current Masters are women.

ETA Youth in Asia just beat me to it :D

Those that do not have an academic background will normally be notable (obitable) for achievements in other walks of life

56 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Agreed.

”Arrogant Academics and Past-it Presidents”?

”Arrogant Academics and Egotistical Education Administrators”?

• Like 1

Is there a thread for rectors of universities. I believe Stephen Fry was Rector of the University of Dundee for a wee while.