My prediction - he's the new Wilko Johnson.

His cancer will be miraculously cured by Mother Teresa from beyond the grave (her grave not his), further bolstering her claims to sainthood.

I've not heard Crowe play guitar yet. I'll have to take your word for it. ;)

A worthy number 1.I cant believe he has hung on until2016!

• Like 2

Hard to say.

He seems like a good pick, but when you think about it...

If he has hung on so long, maybe he's getting better?

• Like 1

Very unlikely!

Given the 50 names provided he's the proper #1 slot.

SC

I have him as my joker. But ...

Logically speaking, he has already exceeded the life expectancy for his disease by a long way. Which makes me think, perhaps it's a misdiagnosis. Or a miracle cure. The disease has not followed the path expected.

• Like 1

Nah, he'll die, probably this year.

This forum is littered with threads dedicated to old terminal cancer sufferers, and in each one there's people who think, because the person has outlasted their dire life expectancy prognosis, they'll be on the mend before we knew it.

The common thread is that nearly every single one of them die in the end.

• Like 1

Nah, he'll die, probably this year.

This forum is littered with threads dedicated to old terminal cancer sufferers, and in each one there's people who think, because the person has outlasted their dire life expectancy prognosis, they'll be on the mend before we knew it.

The common thread is that nearly every single one of them die in the end.

Yeah, every one of them die in the end, but that's also true for candidates that do not suffer of cancer. The question is how and when that happens

For example, I'm very curious how and when Wilko Johnson will die. More than a year passed since he was "cured" and we don't hear anything about a relapse, so it's getting increasingly unlikely that he'll ever have one.

I'd say he might die in his early seventies from a different type cancer or as a consequence of his surgery (he now lacks all of his pancreas, part of his stomach and bowels, which renders him a diabetic and means he has to be very careful with what he eats).

Martin Crowe on the other hand did not have any kind of miracle surgery or miracle chemo drug, his condition has worsened during 2015. After his terminal double hit lymphoma diagnosis, he still had public appearances, quite a lot of blog posts and the like. But these became increasingly rare, and now I believe he's largely confined to his house.

But his personal web site still says that he has won his battle with cancer, so that's a warning sign. ;)

http://www.martincrowe.com

• Like 1

Guest cowboyjon

My prediction

He'll probably bat out 2016, then declare around June 2017.

Have there been any updates on him since July?

Hmmmmm. 26 guests reading this at the moment. Might be trying to tell us something?

Hmmmmm. 26 guests reading this at the moment. Might be trying to tell us something?

nope I just searched the news and nothing new happened. Checked Twitter too in case a rumour started.

Probably one guest looking.

Forum stores it for 15 minutes , if they've a stuttery interwebby it'll look like a rake of guests.

And possibly a different IP each time it connects too.

Haven't been any health update since July.

Either he's dead which wasn't announced for some reason

or

he's been miraculously cured which wasn't announced

or

the press just aren't interested in him... which they should be! "Martin Crowe's sad last days", "Dying cricket legend's biggest career regrets" all good tabloid headlines.

• Like 1

Guest Unbiased Observer

Wow the speculation in here is almost as exciting as a cricket match!

or

or

the press just aren't interested in him... which they should be! "Martin Crowe's sad last days", "Dying cricket legend's biggest career regrets" all good tabloid headlines.

well if he were dead his brother would have had to take a week or so off of some movie set or summat, so 'follow the money' as it were. If he had to suddenly leave for some reason, you can put the tin foil hat back on.

SC

or

or

well if he were dead his brother would have had to take a week or so off of some movie set or summat, so 'follow the money' as it were. If he had to suddenly leave for some reason, you can put the tin foil hat back on.

SC

I'm sure this would never happen, but if for some reason someone did die months ago and it just was kept under wraps and never announced it would not count as a hit for 2016 correct? Therefore would the 2015 total go up if that person was on the 2015 list as well? The only time I could see this probably happening is if maybe someone died the last week of December and it wasn't announced until the first week of January or something.

or

or

SC

I'm sure this would never happen, but if for some reason someone did die months ago and it just was kept under wraps and never announced it would not count as a hit for 2016 correct? Therefore would the 2015 total go up if that person was on the 2015 list as well? The only time I could see this probably happening is if maybe someone died the last week of December and it wasn't announced until the first week of January or something.

That depends, unlikely to happen on the main Deathlist because of the high profiles of the picks. Some dead pools - like my esteemed operation - have rules to cover such eventualities. My Raymond Hewlitt memorial clause (in honour of everyone's favourite Maddie-implicated paedo scum) awards marks for a person widely presumed alive and subsequently discovered to have been deceased.

Crowe on the other hand, is so high profile he wouldn't pull that trick off beyond a few days.

He's not just a sports person. I know sod all about cricket, but enough to know he's apparently considered he one of the best cricket players, ever, in one of the most cricket mad (and I believe, fairly successful at it) nations on earth. It'd be like trying to hide news that Gascoigne or someone had died.

And the fact that Russell Crowe is his cousin will increase his newsworthiness in non-cricketing countries.

or

or

SC

How would the forum rules have handled the death of Hank Williams, who was found dead in the back of his car on New Years Day 1953, but who may have actually died the day before?

Hank Williams spoke just after midnight to his buddy, iirc, so almost certainly died on the 1st January, though it may well have been minutes past the bells.

or

or

SC

How would the forum rules have handled the death of Hank Williams, who was found dead in the back of his car on New Years Day 1953, but who may have actually died the day before?

Yea I would think something like that would be the only case really. News reported it Jan 1 or 2nd, but they really died dec 31st.

Something similiar happened this year. Natalie Cole died on Dec 31 but it was not reported until the next day on Jan 1. Anyone who picked her for their team in 2015 is S.O.L,but anyone who picked her in 2016 would just have a back up take her place on most dead pool teams.