themaninblack

The Dead Of 2015

Keith Webb Wright was an Australian politician, educator, and convicted child rapist. Wright died on 13 January 2015, aged 73.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Wright_(Australian_politician)

Mark Juddery died of cancer on 13 January 2015, aged 43. Was an Australian freelance journalist, author, humorist and columnist. He has also written comedy sketches for radio and television, as well as several short comedy plays, which he has directed and performed worldwide.

These would have been better placed in the Hooroo Mate thread.

Sir Jack Arnold Hayward, died on January 13, 2015 at the age of 91. Was an English businessman, property developer, philanthropist and president of English football club Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Ideas and Possibilities for 2010, 2011 and 2012 thread survivor, Mike Marqusee, has finally lowered the red flag age 61.

Somebody needs to be punched for a sequence of words like that. I'm not sayin it's you but....

ok its you

Sir Jack Arnold Hayward, died on January 13, 2015 at the age of 91. Was an English businessman, property developer, philanthropist and president of English football club Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Are you an actual, you know, human being?

Possibly the forums most "robotic poster" or a human with the personality characteristics of a well used blow up doll.

We are certainly attracting some high quality posters nowdays, aye. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Ideas and Possibilities for 2010, 2011 and 2012 thread survivor, Mike Marqusee, has finally lowered the red flag age 61.

He was a member on my "Has Anyone Seen Mike Hunt" team on DDP four years ago.

Possibly the forums most "robotic poster" or a human with the personality characteristics of a well used blow up doll.

Now, there's a decent question. Could a bot post here without detection and - if so - for how long. And, how long before those of us keen on a bit of dead pooling start considering packing up and going home because we're thrashed in all competitions by specially written software?

Now, there's a decent question. Could a bot post here without detection and - if so - for how long. And, how long before those of us keen on a bit of dead pooling start considering packing up and going home because we're thrashed in all competitions by specially written software?

"We believe that when you create a machine to do the work of a man, you take something away from the man." - Sojef.

"We believe that when you create a machine to do the work of a man, you take something away from the man." - Sojef.

Haha, Trekkie!

In other news, tell us more about this "hypothetical" future world where we all get thrashed at deadpooling by a robot, MPFC.......

Haha, Trekkie!

In other news, tell us more about this "hypothetical" future world where we all get thrashed at deadpooling by a robot, MPFC.......

Well, with all the talk of putting everyone's medical records on a central database, if one had access to said database, one could theoretically write a programme to extract the names of those most likely to croak it. Given the sophistication of the contraption, one could get it to do the postings as well.

Haha, Trekkie!

I can't which is why I was asking but I'm assuming a computer programme to beat a human at dead pooling would be way easier to write than one to beat a human at chess. It would need to be able to trawl newspaper coverage of celebrities and illness/old age, vector in the relative survival chances and make some allowance for the uncertainties, like the points at which the likes of Zsa Zsa tease us about their real age and the state of their health. I'm not an expert in programming, but that's easier than the kind of programmes that people like actuaries use, right?

Haha, Trekkie!

I can't which is why I was asking but I'm assuming a computer programme to beat a human at dead pooling would be way easier to write than one to beat a human at chess. It would need to be able to trawl newspaper coverage of celebrities and illness/old age, vector in the relative survival chances and make some allowance for the uncertainties, like the points at which the likes of Zsa Zsa tease us about their real age and the state of their health. I'm not an expert in programming, but that's easier than the kind of programmes that people like actuaries use, right?

It would be prone to the same skewing by celebs who drone on and on about their illness without dying and people like Lewis Collins who are in the pine box before we knew they were ill.

Who needs a computer programme to do it when we have our very own Statto in the form of Rotten Ali!

• Like 2

Some four years ago I digged a bit in this field. I approached it from the actuarial side. I downloaded German actuarial tables and calculated probabilities of death for each age and sex, assuming those German tables were representative for Western societies and ignoring obit requirements. I calculated the probable hit counts of my previous DDP teams. The results didn't differ significantly from the actual outcomes.

As an additional excercise, I calculated the probable hit count of a team containing the 20 oldest living people, under the same assumptions. The result was almost 13 hits and a poor return in points. I must point out that due to the small number of centenarians, these calculations weren't very reliable. After this I abandoned this project.

I suppose it's possible to monitor news websites that report health updates on celebrities and fiddle the odds through that. To make the information it trawls useful, reported conditions must be matched to survival statistics pertinent to it. Getting those from medical literature is possible, but expensive because they need to be converted in formats the software can understand.

I did some thinking about programming a posting bot as a kind of Turing test. An online obit driven bot, posting as guest, that just sticks a name and a link in a post and never reacts to replies could remain undetected for a long time. Perhaps a Banshees Scream approach would fit best for a bot that responds to other members' (or bots') input, but still, I think I'd sniff them out pretty soon. Of course there's also the possibility that I'm posting this to a forum consisting of hundreds of bots, patiently chattering away.

regards,

Hein

If Dozy's coffin gets stuck they could always Bend It... or shake it

• Like 1

You're thinking of Amen Corner who had a hit with "Bend Me, Shape Me"

I don't think he is, I think he's thinking of this

I don't think he is, I think he's thinking of this

now that sounds famliar, I forgot that song was one of theirs.

Who needs a computer programme to do it when we have our very own Statto in the form of Rotten Ali!

I was half expecting that, bless you. Thing is, no matter how much you talk me up, I still only get about 15 out 50. It would be a fluke to have more that say 25 out of 50 and damn near impossible to approach the 50 unless some mega programme were built to crunch the numbers with such accuracy that left no power to keep the lights on.

Haha, Trekkie!

When's your birthday, I'll get you a new sarcasm detector.....

Haha, Trekkie!

When's your birthday, I'll get you a new sarcasm detector.....

When its yours I will get you a big box to stand on so that you are nice and tall.

Stuff may not go over your head quite so often then. :lol:

• Like 1

I was half expecting that, bless you. Thing is, no matter how much you talk me up, I still only get about 15 out 50. It would be a fluke to have more that say 25 out of 50 and damn near impossible to approach the 50 unless some mega programme were built to crunch the numbers with such accuracy that left no power to keep the lights on.

Oooo I love it when you start talking numbers!