themaninblack

The Dead Of 2015

Bruce Martin, architect and designer of the K8 telephone box, the last design commissioned by the old GPO, has died aged 97

terry sue patt played benny In grange hill dead apparently

Citation needed.

Furthermore, as a Yank I'm totally unaware of this show, so to IMDb I went, and when Terry Sue Patt didn't show up immediately, I pulled up the full cast and scrolled........and scrolled.....and scrolled.

Terry Patt appeared in 29 episodes; and yes I counted, a full 170 other cast members appeared in more. So guessing Terry's role rather minor. Still, the show seems popular, so may I suggest with that many folks involves the show obtains a thread of it's own? Once a link appears that is.

SC

That's more episodes than Grace Lee Whitney appeared in Star Trek

• Like 2

Food writer Joshua Ozersky was found dead on Monday at a Chicago hotel, the Chicago Tribune reports. He was 47.

Ozersky was the founding editor of New York magazine's Grub Street blog, for which he won a James Beard Foundation Award in 2008.

SC

http://news.yahoo.com/joshua-ozersky-grub-street-founding-editor-dies-47-054034339.html;_ylt=AwrC0wyIeEhVQAQAcBCZmolQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

Now it turns out he actually drowned after a seizure:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/28/josh-ozersky-drowned_n_7457932.html

• Like 1

I like how the Telegraph writes lovingly detailed obituaries for fringe people and, generally, for people who do not fit into any category on this forum.

Here for example, Laura Lushington, whose claim to fame is introducing the Turkish "swimming cat" to Britain. So here's a national obit for a crazy cat lady, sorry, "cat enthusiast". I like how they speak of Mrs. Sonia Halliday as "her lifelong friend".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11638637/Laura-Lushington-cat-enthusiast-obituary.html

Or here, Barbara Mackintosh, the chatelaine of Inverailort Castle. Her claim to fame is her great hospitality:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11635946/Barbara-Mackintosh-chatelaine-obituary.html

Again, there is a Mrs. Lucretia Cameron-Head, "her friend and companion", "for more than half a century".

Ms. Mackintosh already died in April.

• Like 1

Here for example, Laura Lushington, whose claim to fame is introducing the Turkish "swimming cat" to Britain. So here's a national obit for a crazy cat lady, sorry, "cat enthusiast". I like how they speak of Mrs. Sonia Halliday as "her lifelong friend".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11638637/Laura-Lushington-cat-enthusiast-obituary.html

In 1953, however, she received the shattering news that she had a tumour on her kidney and returned to Britain, only to learn that the “tumour” on the X-ray was a technician’s thumb print.

Oops.

• Like 1

I like how the Telegraph writes lovingly detailed obituaries for fringe people and, generally, for people who do not fit into any category on this forum.

Or here, Barbara Mackintosh, the chatelaine of Inverailort Castle. Her claim to fame is her great hospitality:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11635946/Barbara-Mackintosh-chatelaine-obituary.html

Again, there is a Mrs. Lucretia Cameron-Head, "her friend and companion", "for more than half a century".

The Telegraph's obituaries are usually pretty respectful in their tone and follow a general policy of not referring to the subject's sexuality, if that person hadn't talked about it publicly while alive. At the same time they make it pretty obvious by acknowledging the "companion", "personal mainstay", "close friend", etc of the deceased individual.

One notable instance of a complete lack of respect came from Nigel Short, the chess player, who wrote an obituary for Britain's first grandmaster, Tony Miles in 2001 and thought it appropriate to mention that:

I obtained a measure of revenge not only by eclipsing Tony in terms of chess performance but also by sleeping with his girlfriend, which was definitely satisfying but perhaps not entirely gentlemanly.

Classy guy.

• Like 3

^^^this is the kind of content I come on the DL for.

One notable instance of a complete lack of respect came from Nigel Short, the chess player, who wrote an obituary for Britain's first grandmaster, Tony Miles in 2001 and thought it appropriate to mention that:

I obtained a measure of revenge not only by eclipsing Tony in terms of chess performance but also by sleeping with his girlfriend, which was definitely satisfying but perhaps not entirely gentlemanly.

Classy guy.

Urgh. I met Short once at a tournament in Rotterdam in the 1990s. His behaviour at and around the board was impeccable, but during drinks and chat after he turned out to be not entirely gentlemanly. This was a few years after his 1993 match against Kasparov, in which Short got thrashed. Kasparov happened to be present at the tournament and after he left the building Short made his opinion clear in words I won't repeat, libel laws being what they are.

The Telegraph's obituaries are usually pretty respectful in their tone and follow a general policy of not referring to the subject's sexuality, if that person hadn't talked about it publicly while alive. At the same time they make it pretty obvious by acknowledging the "companion", "personal mainstay", "close friend", etc of the deceased individual.

Classy guy.

I have an on-again-off-again relationship with chess. I remember Mr. Miles was a bit eccentric. He once defeated Karpov with an irregular opening, generally considered an insult ("He's not taking the game seriously"). And Short is one of those autistic half-man/half-robot minds that top-level chess seems to attract or breed. So the obit is extremely honest, yet completely unaware of any social norms. It's indeed glorious since Short basically says that it was Miles' own fault he died, which, however might actually have been the case. The Wikipedia picture of Tony Miles shows what he looked like at the end.

Generally though, the Telegraph obits are full of class, and I like their old-fashioned style.

That's a bit unfair on someone who genuinely was a close friend and nothing more!

Assumptions can be dangerous - I once knew two elderly ladies who lived together, whom I assumed to be a lesbian couple. Turned out they were sisters. :blush:

• Like 2

Composer, arranger, musician Johnny Keating has died aged 87.

His most famous work is the arrangement of JohnnyTodd for Z Cars.

but loads of other stuff too.

Dale D Myers, former deputy administrator with NASA, 93. http://timesofsandiego.com/life/2015/05/31/nasa-legend-dale-myers-dies-at-93-helped-save-apollo-13/

His first launch as associate director was Apollo 13, the problems with which he helped solve, and on becoming deputy helped restore confidence in the Space Shuttle programme after the 1986 Challenger disaster.

That's a bit unfair on someone who genuinely was a close friend and nothing more!

Assumptions can be dangerous - I once knew two elderly ladies who lived together, whom I assumed to be a lesbian couple. Turned out they were sisters. :blush:

When I was growing up in the Seventies and Eighties there were a number of elderly spinsters who lived together but in many cases these were close friends who had lost fiances during the war and never entered into other relationships.

• Like 1

When I was growing up in the Seventies and Eighties there were a number of elderly spinsters who lived together but in many cases these were close friends who had lost fiances during the war and never entered into other relationships.

I'll willingly give you any terminology to describe friendship of the hetero- deceased you can come up with besides 'companion'. You have a same sex 'companion', you're outed. Find me a single obit to the contrary and I shall change my opinion.

SC

I'll willingly give you any terminology to describe friendship of the hetero- deceased you can come up with besides 'companion'. You have a same sex 'companion', you're outed. Find me a single obit to the contrary and I shall change my opinion.

SC

I don't understand. Are you saying that the word "companion" is now exclusively a synonym for "homosexual lover" or whatever you want to call it? Because I for one don't use it as such. It would be a pity if it went the same way as the previously versatile but neutral word "partner".

• Like 2

SC

I don't understand. Are you saying that the word "companion" is now exclusively a synonym for "homosexual lover" or whatever you want to call it? Because I for one don't use it as such. It would be a pity if it went the same way as the previously versatile but neutral word "partner".

Im not totally convinced that 'partner' is used to describe a relationship between same sex couples.

Partner is non presumptuous way of describing a relationship, little chance of assumption and that kinda ting.

SC

I'm saying precisely that. Now that you mention it, 'partner' has to be given more thought as well , and may well fail the hetero- litmus test, as it infers a union of sorts. No one calls their same sex best friend co-tennant a partner. But I digress; as for Companion, my offer still stands.

SC

[edit: sorry should have said I thought we were talking about the wording of obits not necessarily how you and I use the words in conversation. I think yes the media has attached these connotations to those words. And by bombarding is with their connotations they're effectively changing how those words are defined in terms of human relationships].

Im not totally convinced that 'partner' is used to describe a relationship between same sex couples.

Partner is non presumptuous way of describing a relationship, little chance of assumption and that kinda ting.

No, I meant that "my partner" now always implies husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, person you're shagging style of thing.

Whereas it used to be a non-sexual word which was used for all sorts of things. Business partner, dance partner, tennis doubles etc. It still is used in these contexts of course, but you can't just say "my partner" any more without people drawing the wrong conclusion.

should have said I thought we were talking about the wording of obits not necessarily how you and I use the words in conversation. I think yes the media has attached these connotations to those words. And by bombarding is with their connotations they're effectively changing how those words are defined in terms of human relationships.

You're probably right there, this sort of thing is media-driven. I've said elsewhere recently - I just hate the way the English language is being eroded. We had words that expressed precise meanings, which have become ambiguous through misuse.

Female impersonator (so not a drag act) Jim Bailey, who was famed for his impersonations of Phyllis Diller, Liza Minelli and in particular, Judy Garland, 77, announced on his home page. http://www.jimbaileyweb.com/

Edit: HR: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jim-bailey-dead-female-impersonator-799469

Edit 2: Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-3108204/Jim-Bailey-impersonator-female-biz-legends-dies.html

Smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjc9EFEYHEA

Perhaps they're chums?

Perhaps they're chums?

Possibly, I let my mind be guided by stereotypes though. I thought the cat gave it away. In the second obit, it's the dog, though it's not quite as clear.