Davey Jones' Locker

Aristocrats

2 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Lady Mary Colman, The Queen’s first cousin, has died aged 88. Wife of Sir Timothy Colman who is still knocking about aged 91.

Obituaries: Daily ExpressDaily Star

Waiting for someone to prove me wrong but I think these are the only surviving cousins of the Queen now:

Sir Simon Bowes-Lyon (88)

Prince Edward, Duke of Kent (85)

Princess Alexandra (84)

Michael Bowes-Lyon (80)

Prince Michael of Kent (78)

Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester (76)

Still think the Queen will outlive all of them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Waiting for someone to prove me wrong but I think these are the only surviving cousins of the Queen now:

Princess Alexandra (84)

Michael Bowes-Lyon (80)

There are probably a few illegitimates knocking about...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Princess Alexandra (84)

Michael Bowes-Lyon (80)

Princess Alexandra and the Duke of Kent are definitely names deadpoolers and deathlisters should keep an eye on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Lady Mary Colman, The Queen’s first cousin, has died aged 88. Wife of Sir Timothy Colman who is still knocking about aged 91.

Obituaries: Daily ExpressDaily Star

I thought the name looked  familiar so had a rummage through my old deadpooling  lists shoved in a binder file and established that Lady Colman was a one off choice of mine in the Derby Dead Pool in 2018 in my Blueberry Crumble team .I knew I'd chosen one of the Queens non royal cousins  but was unsure of the name!

This is of course before the criteria on relatives of famous people being entered was tightened up.

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Princess Alexandra (84)

Michael Bowes-Lyon (80)

The Peerage website doesn't give a death date for Lady Mary's younger brother, the Hon. Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon.

So I don't know if he's still about.

Hon. Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon was born on 29 May 1940.  He is the son of Captain Hon. Michael Claude Hamilton Bowes-Lyon and Elizabeth Margaret Cator.
Hon. Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon usually went by his middle name of Albemarle.  He was educated at Eton College, Windsor, Berkshire, England. He was educated at Magdalen College, Oxford University, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England.  He was director of Coutts & Company between 1969 and 1993.  In 1974 he was granted the rank of an earl's younger son.

https://www.thepeerage.com/p948.htm#i9476

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

The Peerage website doesn't give a death date for Lady Mary's younger brother, the Hon. Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon.

So I don't know if he's still about.

Hon. Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon was born on 29 May 1940.  He is the son of Captain Hon. Michael Claude Hamilton Bowes-Lyon and Elizabeth Margaret Cator.
Hon. Michael Albemarle Bowes-Lyon usually went by his middle name of Albemarle.  He was educated at Eton College, Windsor, Berkshire, England. He was educated at Magdalen College, Oxford University, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England.  He was director of Coutts & Company between 1969 and 1993.  In 1974 he was granted the rank of an earl's younger son.

https://www.thepeerage.com/p948.htm#i9476

Still alive according to several of these peerage/royalty type forums and Google groups. I imagine there would be a newspaper death notice at the very least.

Ah sorry, I see you did have him listed.   I must have somehow read the two Michaels as one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I thought the name looked  familiar so had a rummage through my old deadpooling  lists shoved in a binder file and established that Lady Colman was a one off choice of mine in the Derby Dead Pool in 2018 in my Blueberry Crumble team .I knew I'd chosen one of the Queens non royal cousins  but was unsure of the name!

This is of course before the criteria on relatives of famous people being entered was tightened up.

Just as a tip, and of course the Cmme may change this for 2022 without me if they wish, but - if the person has "Lord, Lady, Sir, Dame, Prince or Princess" in their name, or can be described as "direct cousin of the Queen", they sort of meet the fame requirement. :lol:

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, msc said:

Just as a tip, and of course the Cmme may change this for 2022 without me if they wish, but - if the person has "Lord, Lady, Sir, Dame, Prince or Princess" in their name, or can be described as "direct cousin of the Queen", they sort of meet the fame requirement. :lol:

Thank you! I have my eye on Princess Alexandra as she had a fall in 2019 and has been on reduced royal duties ever since but as an actual  royal herself she will definitely  meet the criteria. 

But your pointer is useful for wider considerations!:D

1 hour ago, msc said:

I think a lot of these people have notability from holding some sort of public office or being presidents of charities, that kind of thing.

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

I think a lot of these people have notability from holding some sort of public office or being presidents of charities, that kind of thing.

Yes, that was sort of my point! :D

1 hour ago, Toast said:

The Duke of Edinburgh thinks plaque unveiling is a legitimate job and thus being in the contention to be the best plaque unveiler of all time must surely be a legitimate claim to fame?

• Like 1

What I often do is look at appointments to Orders of the Knighthood on Wikipedia and see which of them was appointed the earliest as they tend to be the oldest.

I only mention this because the nearly 97 year old Earl of Elgin has been a Knight of the Order of the Thistle since 1981.

The second longest serving is the Earl of Airdrie who is 95 on his birthday and has been a KT since 1985.

On 22/12/2020 at 14:56, YoungWillz said:

Marquess of Bute Johnny Dumfries thumbs his nose at travel ban between parts of UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-55414817

I'm sure he can afford the fines of him and his 5 (yes FIVE) colleagues.

Johnny Dumfries dead: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19178755.johhny-dumfries-marquess-bute-dies-aged-62/

Mwahahahaha.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 09/12/2018 at 02:48, Ulitzer95 said:

1919: George Boscawen, 9th Viscount Falmouth
1920: Nathaniel Fiennes, 21st Baron Saye and Sele

Mar 1921: Elizabeth Sutherland, 24th Countess of Sutherland Died 09 Dec 2019 (98)
Jun 1921: Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh Died 09 Apr 2021 (99)
Feb 1924: Andrew Bruce, 11th Earl of Elgin
May 1924: Malcolm Greenhill, 3rd Baron Greenhill Died 13 Jan 2020 (95)
Jul 1924: John Dodson, 3rd Baron Monk Bretton
Sep 1924: Edmund Ironside, 2nd Baron Ironside Died 13 Jan 2020 (95)
1925: John Christopher Loder, 3rd Baron Wakehurst
02 Mar 1926: Richard Dickinson, 2nd Baron Dickinson Died 28 Nov 2019 (93)
31 Mar 1926: Michael Brudenell-Bruce, 8th Marquess of Ailesbury
May 1926: David Ogilvy, 13th Earl of Airlie

16 Dec 1926: Robert Yerburgh, 2nd Baron Alvingham Died 29 Mar 2020 (93)
27 Dec 1926: Michael Holland-Hibbert, 6th Viscount Knutsford

Only wrote this to 1926 but these are the oldest living hereditary peers to have lost their seats in the House of Lords after the 1999 reforms. One or two will be familiar but largely a Who's Who of "Who?". 

Anyway, DDP gold as they'll all obit, and all turning 93+ next year.

Updated the list of peers removed from the Lords in 1999 who are 95+ following the death of Prince Philip.

• Thanks 1