Davey Jones' Locker

Aristocrats

Death Notice for Sir William Antony John Reardon Smith, 4th Baronethttp://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/257683/reardon-smith

He was 84. All previous successors to the baronetcy had a given name of William, and unsurprisingly the eldest son and heir apparent is William Nicolas Henry Reardon Smith (b. 1963).

• Like 2

Death Notice for Arabella Sackville aged a mere 63, two days before her birthday: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/257901/sackville-arabella

I'm posting this as she was the only daughter of William Sackville, 10th Earl De La Warr, who famously allowed Doctor Who to film Black Orchid on his Estate, and sold the forest that inspired the Winnie The Pooh stories to the Council, and who himself committed suicide aged only 66 in 1988.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Death Notice for Arabella Sackville aged a mere 63, two days before her birthday: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/257901/sackville-arabella

I'm posting this as she was the only daughter of William Sackville, 10th Earl De La Warr, who famously allowed Doctor Who to film Black Orchid on his Estate, and sold the forest that inspired the Winnie The Pooh stories to the Council, and who himself committed suicide aged only 66 in 1988.

Younger sister of Tom Sackville, the minor Tory government minister under John Major who lost his seat in the 1997 landslide.

• Like 1

Death Notice for John Manningham-Buller, 2nd Viscount Dilhorne, aged 90: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/258109/dilhorne

His sister is the still living Elizabeth Manningham-Buller, Baroness Manningham-Buller, the former Head of MI5, who I'm sure got her job on merit and not on some sort of nepotism....;)

The 3rd Viscount will be the eldest son James (b.1956) who may not trouble us for some time.

• Like 2

Of note, Nicholas Lowther, 2nd Viscount Ullswater retires from the House of Lords, presumably to spend more time with his money: https://hansard.parliament.uk/lords/2022-07-20/debates/BEA100EC-594D-4C65-8D95-333AE76F7542/RetirementOfAMemberViscountUllswater

Whilst he held various Governmental posts, he was Private Secretary to Princess Margaret and that of itself will guarantee him all the obits.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Death Notice for John Christopher Loder, 3rd Baron Wakehurst, aged 96: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/258702/wakehurst

Heir apparent is Timothy Walter Loder (b. 1958).

Wiki (mention): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Wakehurst Seemingly unremarkable compared with the 1st and 2nd Barons.

A good friend of mine. Remarkable man. 

Served as a submarine lieutenant during WWII when he was just a boy. Watched a lot of friends die in front of him. Was a non-affiliated member of the House of Lords before the hereditaries were kicked out in 1999 but took little interest in it. Became a barrister, then served on the board of a lot of businesses and organisations. Arguably founded the UK's first autism charity (his only son has autism). First wife died of cancer I believe. I know his second wife, Brigid, who is a lot younger than him but just absolutely lovely.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Served as a submarine lieutenant during WWII when he was just a boy. Watched a lot of friends die in front of him. Was a non-affiliated member of the House of Lords before the hereditaries were kicked out in 1999 but took little interest in it. Became a barrister, then served on the board of a lot of businesses and organisations. Arguably founded the UK's first autism charity (his only son has autism). First wife died of cancer I believe. I know his second wife, Brigid, who is a lot younger than him but just absolutely lovely.

Worth you making a Wiki page for him?

• Like 1

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Worth you making a Wiki page for him?

I shall actually. Will wait to see if The Telegraph, Times, Guardian give him a write up. Will make it a lot easier to source, rather than just using his Debretts and Who's Who profiles.

His death means there are just six members of the House of Lords who served in WWII (5 former, 1 current):
Lord Nathaniel Fiennes (b. 1920) non-affiliate
Earl Andrew Bruce (b. 1924) Conservative
Lord John de Grey (b. 1925) non-affiliate
Lord Tony Christopher (b. 1925) Labour (and current member)
Marquess Michael Brudenell-Bruce (b. 1926) Crossbench
Earl David Ogilby (b. 1926) Crossbench

Then there's Sir Patrick Duffy (b. 1920, Labour) and Ben Ford (b. 1925, Labour) from the former MPs, then the Queen herself, then that's it really. :( 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

…I know his second wife, Brigid, who is a lot younger than him but just absolutely lovely.

Lovely.

And available 

21 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Was he a good friend of yours before he won you some DDP points? 

49 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Was he a good friend of yours before he won you some DDP points? 

Haha! I didn't pick him. Couldn't pick someone I know, it just wouldn't feel right. My half sister's father is a famous professional footballer/manager and is very ill at the moment too. For the same reasons, haven't revealed his illness on this forum.

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Haha! I didn't pick him. Couldn't pick someone I know, it just wouldn't feel right. My half sister's father is a famous professional footballer/manager and is very ill at the moment too. For the same reasons, haven't revealed his illness on this forum.

I have picked one person I knew but it was common knowledge he was very ill . I have met 4 other DDP picks over the years (2 before picking them 2 after).I met one I dropped shortly before they died was an odd feeling.Maybe that is because I realised I wouldn't get to pick them  the next year.Joking aside they were very sweet and great company.

• Like 1

I have met a fair few famous people. 

I know none of them.

A blessing, if you will.

6 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You don’t have to reveal it in the forum. 

A Private Mail to me would suffice…

• Like 1

Daily Mail reporting that the Earl of Suffolk (wiki) died last week, aged 87.

Held his title from 1941(!) after his father was killed by a bomb he was trying to defuse. Sat in the House of Lords as a Conservative from 1957 until 1999.

He was the inspiration for the Jilly Cooper character Rupert Campbell-Black. Cooper and the Earl pictured together in 2016 below.

61191909-11093167-image-m-31_1659992744134.jpg.bb14af37f060c1b79862088dfe2f7033.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Daily Mail reporting that the Earl of Suffolk (wiki) died last week, aged 87.

Held his title from 1941(!) after his father was killed by a bomb he was trying to defuse. Sat in the House of Lords as a Conservative from 1957 until 1999.

He was the inspiration for the Jilly Cooper character Rupert Campbell-Black. Cooper and the Earl pictured together in 2016 below.

61191909-11093167-image-m-31_1659992744134.jpg.bb14af37f060c1b79862088dfe2f7033.jpg

Re the above I looked through my list of Dukes, Marquesses and Earls and noticed the demise of David Howard, 7th Earl of Effingham seems to have gone unreported here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2022/04/08/earl-effingham-career-naval-officer-developed-expertise-covert/

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Re the above I looked through my list of Dukes, Viscounts and Earls and noticed the demise of David Howard, 7th Earl of Effingham seems to have gone unreported here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2022/04/08/earl-effingham-career-naval-officer-developed-expertise-covert/

There's no need to self censor on here Willz. Just called him the Earl of Fuckingham if you wish. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

David Douglas-Home, 15th Earl of Home (wiki) reported dead on Twitter aged 78.

Businessman and incumbent Conservative member of the House of Lords.

The only son of former British Prime Minister Alec Douglas-Home (1903–1995).

EDIT: Now confirmed by the House of Lords.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Alexander Sutherland, an aristocrat known by the name Lord Strathnaver, has died. He was 41. He was found at the bottom of cliffs and appears to have accidentally fallen.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/aristocrat-41-found-dead-bottom-27910379

Was heir to the Earldom of Sutherland, dontcha know, old boy.

Whole new meaning to "your nobs fallen off".

On 27/08/2022 at 11:40, Ulitzer95 said:

Worth noting that as of Thursday, the Duke of Kent had held his title for an incredible 80 years. There are only two other living peers who can claim the same: Viscount Gormanston (b. 1939) and Lord Sudeley (b. 1939).

All three lost their fathers in WWII, hence their early succession to their titles.

Lord Sudeley (wiki) dead at 83. Author, member of the House of Lords from 1960 to 1999, and a champion of controversial causes. A prominent member of the Conservative Monday Club.

Telegraph obit.

• Like 3

On 04/12/2021 at 13:48, Gooseberry Crumble said:

This post feels a bit like some Mystic  Meg style  foreshadowing  now...!

I wonder if the same fate will soon meet   David Ogilvy  The Earl of Airlie who also used to work for the Queen  and is the brother in law of Princess Alexandra. 

The venerable Earl of Airlie was on Radio 4 just now, talking about the Queen and - although lucid - sounded like he might die of old age during the interview.   One to keep under observation.   

The last surviving attendee of the coronation of George VI apparently.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1