Alternative tagline: "Hoffa" they can't refuse?

Well anyway, I apologise if there's already a union thread. But I couldn't find one.

Former NUT.............. sorry, former general secretary of NUT Fred Jarvis is still going at 90 and was given a CBE in the New Year's Honours list.

• Like 1

Alternative tagline: "Hoffa" they can't refuse?

Well anyway, I apologise if there's already a union thread. But I couldn't find one.

Former NUT.............. sorry, former general secretary of NUT Fred Jarvis is still going at 90 and was given a CBE in the New Year's Honours list.

So he's not dead yet; isn't that extra extra-curricular?

Guest Guest

Larry Scanlon of AFSCME, dies in car crash back in February but just being reported.

SC

http://m.afscme.org/blog/in-memoriam-larry-scanlon

I am genuinely shocked by that news. I knew Larry. This is devastating news. It comes nearly a year to the day since the death of Bob Crow.Fucking hell.

Victor Gotbaum: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/nyregion/victor-gotbaum-labor-leader-who-helped-save-new-york-from-bankruptcy-dies-at-93.html?_r=0

This guy was big in NY in the 1970s apparently.

Why do they bother recording the cause of death for a 93-year-old though (unless it was like being hit by a bus or something) :rolleyes:

Retired former United Transportation Union (UTU) General Secretary & Treasurer Daniel E. Johnson III, 67, passed away early May 21, 2015, according to reports received by the SMART Transportation Division.

Johnson, who retired in August 2007 and was living in Lincoln, Cal., had been battling a number of health issues.

SC

http://utu.org/2015/05/21/retired-former-utu-gst-dan-johnson-dies/

Surely political frailty or activists would have covered these buggers. The amount of pointless threads on this forum is becoming tiresome.

• Like 2

Back to the United Transportation Union (UTU) we go.
Retired former General Chairperson Robert E. Swert, 89, of Port Charlotte, Fla. and formerly of West Chester, Pa. died August 20, 2015, in Port Charlotte​.

After serving in the U.S. Army Air Corps, Swert hired out as a brakeman with the New York Central Railroad. Swert began his rail career as a member of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen (BRT), and later became a member of United Transportation Union (UTU) Local 2 in Toledo, Ohio.​ Later, Swert moved to the management side as director of labor relations and eventually retired as vice president of Conrail Labor Relations. Although Swert moved into management, he kept his union membership with the UTU and paid full dues up until his retirement.
SC

Mark Sertwotka, general secretary of the Public and Commercial Services Union, is in rather urgent need of a heart transplant.

• Like 1

Bob White, a prominent Canadian trade unionist, founder of the Canadian Auto Workers Union and President of the Canadian Labour Congress (1992-1999), has died aged 81.

Henry L. “Hank” Lacayo, a union leader with strong ties to political and business leaders across California and the nation, has died.

The 85-year-old rose to prominence organizing aircraft workers for the United Auto Workers in the early 1950s. After leading the UAW’s western regional office, he moved to UAW national headquarters in Detroit in the 1970s where he was a member of the union’s executive team.

After his retirement in 1986, he opened H.L. & Associates, a consulting firm that advised a number of clients including Verizon, Southern California Edison and SoCal Gas, on a variety of public policy issues. His Newbury Park home was a testament to his powerful influence, with walls lined with photos of him with presidents, CEOs and world leaders.

SC

On 09/07/2017 at 06:04, gcreptile said:

Lech Walesa has heart trouble:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/08/polish-president-lech-walesa-hospital-solidarity

Edit: Hm, I think I'm not the first to post this, sorry.

Lech Walesa is out of hospital:  http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/315954,ExSolidarity-leader-Walesa-returns-home-from-hospital

Damn, suggested by me last Summer, but then forgotten.

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

The most Trade Unionist Trade Union leader's name ever!

• Like 2