On 25/07/2019 at 04:49, Skinny kiltrunner said:

I may be reading too much into this, but regarding Karen Lewis, ex-leader of the Chicago teacher's  union, this recent article states that she has been diagnosed with a brain tumor (yes, we know), and is unable to respond for comment.

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/6/28/18662706/chicago-teachers-unions-strike-labor-movement

She hasn't been one to shy away from making a statement in the past, so maybe this is significant? 

Dead.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Dead.

Been a long time coming.  Thus ends one of the 'immortals', maybe not drol's but one in my home dp, where she has been fielded for 3 years running.

"Funny" how those eternal glioblastoma sufferers Bayh and Lewis died within a week of each other.

While Bayh became a more and more popular hit, Karen Lewis got forgotten, at least in the DDP. 

• Like 2

After all I have Lewis in the AO Pool, where Bayh was rejected, but not in the DDP.

Oh. I was checking up on updates on her a few hours ago and wondered if it was possible she died off radar. Weird. 

6 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Dead.

She would’ve QO’d FYI

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

She would’ve QO’d FYI

I continue to learn that a QO is never as unlikely as I originally thought for any of my rejected picks. 

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

She would’ve QO’d FYI

That's fekkin ridiculous.  And that's that.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Richard Trumka, head of the AFL-CIO for 12 years, and so the nr. 1 US union person, dead at 72:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/05/richard-trumka-head-of-afl-cio-union-federation-dies-at-72.html

His predecessor John Sweeney (1934-2021, pres 1995-2009) died in February.

The only current living President of the ALF-CIO is the 1995 President 92-year old Thomas R. Donahue, also an important figure in the presidential campaigns of Ted Kennedy, Walter Mondale, Michael Dukakis and Bill Clinton.

donahue.png.ab8f332fbb9c9e640d8dd0de235713d6.png

• Like 1

Fred Moore (wiki), Australian miner and trade unionist who campaigned for workers rights and Aboriginal rights, dead at 99.

• Like 1

Times Obit for Tommy Brennan, convenor of the shop stewards at Ravenscraig who walked to London to confront Thatcher about its closure: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tommy-brennan-obituary-hlwbgqnb7

More readable version here: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/lanarkshire/tributes-paid-ravenscraig-union-hero-26095862

Close to home, OldWillz worked at Ravenscraig. Brennan was big news back then. None of yer namby pamby Len McCluskeys and the like now....

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Times Obit for Tommy Brennan, convenor of the shop stewards at Ravenscraig who walked to London to confront Thatcher about its closure: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tommy-brennan-obituary-hlwbgqnb7

More readable version here: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/lanarkshire/tributes-paid-ravenscraig-union-hero-26095862

Close to home, OldWillz worked at Ravenscraig. Brennan was big news back then. None of yer namby pamby Len McCluskeys and the like now....

I just know him as one of the "Labour for Independence" ppl during the referendum. He was probably one of their few members who was actually in the Labour Party(!!) The group was choke full of SNP activists who pretended to be Labour members/activists to make it look like there was a broader spread of support for Indy. They were all exposed, not sure why they thought it would work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I just know him as one of the "Labour for Independence" ppl during the referendum. He was probably one of their few members who was actually in the Labour Party(!!) The group was choke full of SNP activists who pretended to be Labour members/activists to make it look like there was a broader spread of support for Indy. They were all exposed, not sure why they thought it would work.

Let's face it, Labour activists in favour of Indy were few and far between. Nobody believed Labour had any more interest in Indy than the Tories, although many ordinary Labour voters like the rest of Scotland were split fairly evenly I'd say.

Anyway, let's not deflect here. Not everything has to come back to 2014. Brennan was an example of a genuine Labour movement that existed in Scotland for a very long time. They didn't sit in their offices on their fat arses trying to get placepersons in the Parliamentary Labour Party or whinging about the issues that directly impacted on their, I'm going to use their word here, comrades. Regardless of what job Kinnock or his ilk were doing in Parliament, these folk could talk the talk and walk the walk, quite literally in Brennan's case.

Labour died quicker in Scotland because of a new disconnect between the people, the movement and the party (also local well-documented corruption). It's dying down South and it is truly painful to watch. Whaur's the firebrand? Whaur's the passion? Whaur's the square go?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Let's face it, Labour activists in favour of Indy were few and far between. Nobody believed Labour had any more interest in Indy than the Tories, although many ordinary Labour voters like the rest of Scotland were split fairly evenly I'd say.

Anyway, let's not deflect here. Not everything has to come back to 2014.

Yeah not trying to take anything away from you. Merely trying to diverge onto something that I can give an opinion from personal experience on. I'll just gently remind you that I wasn't born when Ravenscraig was an issue. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yeah not trying to take anything away from you. Merely trying to diverge onto something that I can give an opinion from personal experience on. I'll just gently remind you that I wasn't born when Ravenscraig was an issue. ;)

Look, I was never a Labour supporter, but they had some heavyweights which even along with Thatcher you could respect for their position, even if you hated them.

It's a generational issue I guess. I can just about remember the effects of the Heath government right through to the present day. And I'd say that ever since Major left office, the political sphere at Westminster is populated by opportunists rather than passionate advocates, with little outside Parliament. Sure there is the odd one on any side, but few seem to believe what they say with any conviction. And that's why we are where we are. Imo. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Arthur Scargill still looking excellent and still "on picket lines now":

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-60290283

He looks good.

Though it's interesting that the BBC deem him once again PC to treat with some kind of seriousness. For the last 2 decades he's become better known as a perennial political candidate who occasionally comes out with silly, controversial quips.

That, and defrauding the NUM and other groups of a lot of money.

Sharyle Jean "Shar" Knutson, the first woman elected president of the Minnesota AFL-CIO in 2009, was a key player in the fight to increase the state's minimum wage and helped fend off attacks on organized labor. 

Knutson, 72, of St. Paul, died Feb. 2 of complications from Alzheimer's disease.

SC

Bill Ludwig, a former Australian union official and Labor power broker, has died. He was 87. Ludwig was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia for service to industrial relations in 1997.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/apr/27/tributes-paid-to-former-union-boss-and-labor-powerbroker-bill-ludwig-who-has-died-aged-87

Photo of Scargill on the picket line today here. Source is the RMT Twitter page. I don't think he looks good in all honesty but maybe not at death's door just yet. 

FVx-SLvWIAEJegv.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Looks about average for an 84 year old man I thought.

• Like 1