Vaagheid

Betty White

5 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

probably not just a country but the entire world 

Not really true though, is it?

I mean the response from myself, Toast and several other users on here was "meh".

In fact, on NYE I was at a party here in London, and one of the Canadians there exclaimed "Oh my god. Betty White just died!!" and most of the Brits there responded with "Who??".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Not really true though, is it?

I mean the response from myself, Toast and several other users on here was "meh".

In fact, on NYE I was at a party here in London, and one of the Canadians there exclaimed "Oh my god. Betty White just died!!" and most of the Brits there responded with "Who??".

You get that on every level, most people in my country wouldn't know who the Deputy Prime Minister is or who the President of the United States is. Some people walk around with their eyes closed, even in the age of information. 

I will consider your anecdotal story about some drunk Brits at a New Years Eve party very briefly. 

2 minutes ago, John Key said:

You get that on every level, most people in my country wouldn't know who the Deputy Prime Minister is or who the President of the United States is. Some people walk around with their eyes closed, even in the age of information. 

I will consider your anecdotal story about some drunk Brits at a New Years Eve party very briefly. 

Most people in NZ don't know who the President of the U.S. is? Calling b/s on that one I'm afraid.

But it's an absolute fact that 90% of Brits (or anyone in any other country outside of the U.S. for that matter) won't know who Betty White is. She's not a household name internationally like Meryl Streep, Morgan Freeman, Angelina Jolie or Arnold Schwarzenegger.

That was my point, and you appear to have taken offence at the fact I have critiqued Saint Betty.

It's not that I had never heard of her - I knew she was an American actress who had been in popular comedy shows like The Golden Girls.  But she had not touched my life in any way.

Unlike, say, Ronnie Spector whose music is part of the soundtrack of my life. 

• Like 2

Just now, Toast said:

It's not that I had never heard of her - I knew she was an American actress who had been in popular comedy shows like The Golden Girls.  But she had not touched my life in any way.

Unlike, say, Ronnie Spector whose music is part of the soundtrack of my life. 

I was woken up by Mrs msc playing Spectors music this morning so it was literally part of the soundtrack of my life earlier!

Anyhow, tbh I've never understand the continual wrangling over folks international fame or lack of it on here. If you liked the person, what does it matter if 5 others did or 5 billion? That's just me. Its one of those boring inanities alongside "I never heard of this person/Who?" - Google it if that's puzzling, it's what most of us always do!

• Like 1

We see, above, example #152419956107 of why all conversations about how famous/important people are utterly pointless. Lots knew her, some were kind of aware, some didn’t know her at all. The same goes for everyone in the fucking world.

P.S. Who the fuck was Betty White? (rhetorical)

12 minutes ago, msc said:

I was woken up by Mrs msc playing Spectors music this morning so it was literally part of the soundtrack of my life earlier!

Anyhow, tbh I've never understand the continual wrangling over folks international fame or lack of it on here. If you liked the person, what does it matter if 5 others did or 5 billion? That's just me. Its one of those boring inanities alongside "I never heard of this person/Who?" - Google it if that's puzzling, it's what most of us always do!

Still a more relevant and interesting conversation than where the majority of discussion resides on this forum – the Boris Johnson, Prince Andrew, Joe Biden, Donald Trump or Kier Starmer threads, which, if I really wanted to indulge myself in, I'd go to Twitter or Facebook where all of the world's most prestigious self-appointed armchair experts reside.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TQR said:

We see, above, example #152419956107 of why all conversations about how famous/important people are utterly pointless. Lots knew her, some were kind of aware, some didn’t know her at all. The same goes for everyone in the fucking world.

Yes, but I think it's the sweeping statements that rankle, as quoted above.  People who don't share an opinion tend to resent being spoken for in this way.

"Imagine living 99 years and an entire country collectively agreeing it wasn’t long enough."

"Probably not just a country but the entire world."

Now I'm very sad that Ronnie Spector has died, but I wouldn't be claiming that everyone else felt the same.

• Like 1

The Golden Girls was ten years too late to become a massive hit in the UK. Had it launched in the 1970’s it might have been on BBC or ITV here in the UK and she could have been a household name in the Uk.

I was also at a NYE gathering where everyone else went who?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yes, but I think it's the sweeping statements that rankle, as quoted above.  People who don't share an opinion tend to resent being spoken for in this way.

"Imagine living 99 years and an entire country collectively agreeing it wasn’t long enough."

"Probably not just a country but the entire world."

Now I'm very sad that Ronnie Spector has died, but I wouldn't be claiming that everyone else felt the same.

Completely agree. There seems to be a hell of a lot of assumptions like that, which then triggers a conversation that has happened so many times before.

Who the fuck is Ronnie Spector? :P(joking, everyone leave me alone)

Weirdly now that I think of it, despite being US royalty I think all I've watched her in was in the odd voice acting role growing up. I do want to watch MTM eventually, though, with me paying for my TV and the package including a lot of old TV shows. So might as well take advantage of it.

As far as 1922 remnants and their work go, I actually have more immediate acquaintance with Ray Anthony (as "Peter Gunn" is a 50s radio staple here) and Janis Paige (a delightfully sassy supporting role in a Columbo ep) at the moment!

10 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The Golden Girls was ten years too late to become a massive hit in the UK. Had it launched in the 1970’s it might have been on BBC or ITV here in the UK and she could have been a household name in the Uk.

I was also at a NYE gathering where everyone else went who?

The Golden Girls, as I stated on an earlier post, is genius and I recommend it to anyone.

Yet I still don't get the whole "Saint Betty" stuff. A tad weird, and a bit creepy(?) as well. I think it's because she had this persona of a nice, friendly, and funny old lady so people really warmed to her, but Toast hits the nail on the head with that post above. It's the arrogance from others. This attitude of "I love her and therefore you must love her too or else", which is rather baffling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Betty White to me will never hold a candle to a legend like Clive Dunn

I was genuinely saddened to hear of his death in 2012

31 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

It was on Channel 4, but Channel 4 was the place to go for US sitcoms at that time - Cheers was on 4, Frasier and Friends were too. I'm just about old enough to remember it being talked about (but only watched it as an adult decades later) but a quick look over the Radio Times archives has references to it being a smash hit on Four, and certainly big enough for White to have been interviewed on Wogan, and appeared on Comic Relief (1991, apparently, which I would have seen but have no memories of whatsoever!).

Which hypocrite was it again who said these discussions were pointless? :lol:

17 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The Golden Girls, as I stated on an earlier post, is genius and I recommend it to anyone.

Yet I still don't get the whole "Saint Betty" stuff. A tad weird, and a bit creepy(?) as well. I think it's because she had this persona of a nice, friendly, and funny old lady so people really warmed to her, but Toast hits the nail on the head with that post above. It's the arrogance from others. This attitude of "I love her and therefore you must love her too or else", which is rather baffling.

TV Granny Syndrome. Alas, there can only be one and for me, Angela Lansbury (or to be precise, Jessica Fletcher) locked that role down early on! :D

Today would've been the day... 100...

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I never thought the theme tune fitted. The bubbliness of it would deceive any first time viewer into thinking they’re about to watch some happy claptrap white picket fence shite like The Waltons.

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I never thought the theme tune fitted. The bubbliness of it would deceive any first time viewer into thinking they’re about to watch some happy claptrap white picket fence shite like The Waltons.

Yes, it's horribly twee.

In honor of Betty's birthday, her former assistant shares one of Betty's last photographs. It was taken 11 days before she died. 

2 hours ago, mollyafox said:

In honor of Betty's birthday, her former assistant shares one of Betty's last photographs. It was taken 11 days before she died. 

Bless her, she clearly went downhill in the end and looks a fair bit thinner compared to what she had been.

Betty White's former home has been torn down, according to a new post on her Instagram account. The legendary actress passed away in December of 2021 just short of her 100th birthday, and her massive home in Los Angeles, California was sold in June. Apparently, the new owner wanted a fresh start, as White's house has now been leveled to make way for a new development.

White lived in a beachfront home in Carmel-By-The-Sea, which has also sold since her death. It reportedly went for just under $11 million.
SC

• Like 1