Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

Centrist = Attila in the yank political sphere tho.

51 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

There are good Politicians out there. They tend not to promise the earth but actually try to deliver it anyway.

What gave Trump the Presidency was the Russians

FTFY :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Eh. A centrist will never win a Presidential election in The United States, so the hyperpolitical freaks foaming at the mouth for a John Kasich and John Hickenlooper unity ticket can rest easy knowing we'll either have a neoliberal corporate rat or another painful four years of a braindead manatee in office. I think Trump will win re-election. I have lost more hope in the DNC since they announced they're considering San Francisco for the 2020 DNC location (way to stick it to middle america and the rust belt!) and that they have been pressuring progressive candidates like Levi Tillemann and Laura Moser out of their congressional races. When Moser and Tillemann refused to drop, the DCCC pushed out attack ads.

2018 will be a blue wave, just depends on how big. Unless Trump receives the endorsements of Jesus, Ronald Reagan, and JFK (plus the money from the Koch brothers ofc), I seriously doubt Democrats will struggle to gain less than 25 seats. But, if Democrats continue to go down this road they may cut their soon-to-be-majority in the U.S House short. They need 23 more seats to earn a majority, I say they gain just under 40. 

The Senate is so much harder to defend. Over 25 Democrats and 9 Republicans, that's a lot of territory to defend. Even more difficult territory when only 1 of the Republicans is in a state Clinton won and 10 of the Democrats are in states Trump won. I still say Democrats pickup Nevada, Arizona, and Tennesse. Possibly even McCain's seat if a November special election is triggered. I think Republicans pick up West Virginia, Indiana, North Dakota, and one of either Florida, Missouri, or Montana. 

A 'centrist' can't even get on the stage to debate.  What a bullshit system.  And I do slightly resent you didn't mention Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson (but found time to mention 'centrist' Kasich lmao), by ignoring 3rd parties you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Yours, etc.,

Sir Creep 

Occasional Libertarian

With the Indiana, West Virginia, North Carolina, and Ohio primaries tomorrow, here's an in depth analysis of the big races.

I already covered the heated Republican primary out of West Virginia, see the Political rants thread for further information.

Another similar three-way primary that will resolve tomorrow is one in Indiana. Where Senator Joe Donnelly is facing a heavy field of Republicans dying for a chance to challenge him in the general election. One of them, is Congressman Todd Rokita, who recently faced calls from the Trump campaign to remove campaign yard signs that touted President Trump's and Vice President Pence's endorsements. Another Congressman, U.S. Rep. Luke Messer, does not even live in the state of Indiana, a huge liability for his campaign that has been used by the Rokita and Braun campaigns against him. Once considered an underdog, but now considered the frontrunner by many, Former State Representative and Businessman Mike Braun is often looked upon as either, the strongest Republican in a general election with the ability to self-fund his campaign, or as a sleazy businessman with baggage that has yet to be used by the Donnelly campaign. Despite surging in the race, The Messer and Rokita campaigns are only now attacking Braun instead of eachother, indicating that their internal polling is hinting at a Braun victory on Tuesday night. 

A state with two statewide races to watch out for is Ohio. The Senate race isn't seen as competitive in the primary and Democratic Senator Sherrod Brown is seen as "Likely" to defend his seat in November. Still, it's a state that Trump won by over 8%. State Treasurer Josh Mandel was the frontrunner at the beginning, but after dropping out due his wife's ill health (!!) Congressman and businessman (common theme throughout the Republican ticket this year) Jim Renacci is the frontrunner in the Republican primary. His only challenger, fellow businessman Mike Gibbons is not likely to win the primary tomorrow.

Another Ohio race, and a more contested one, is in the Governor's race to replace outgoing Governor and failed Presidential candidate John Kasich. On the Republican side, State Attorney General, Former U.S. Senator, Former Lieutenant Governor, Former U.S. Congressman, and Former State Legislator (pretty much everything except Governor) Mike DeWine was considered the frontrunner until recently, when Lieutenant Governor Mary Taylor started gaining traction, definitely one to watch even if DeWine is favored. On the Democrat side, it's slightly more senile and idiotic considering fox news token Democrat turned Young Turks "justice democrat", Former U.S. Congressman, and failed Presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich entered the race. The Assas sympathizer is (fortunately) slightly unfavored against Former Director of The Consumer Protection Bureau Richard Cordray. I'll be watching the Governor's primary all night!

Finally, in North Carolina, there's nothing but house races, but the D vs R primary totals will still be an interesting indication of how big the "blue wave" will be. 

8 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

A 'centrist' can't even get on the stage to debate.  What a bullshit system.  And I do slightly resent you didn't mention Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson (but found time to mention 'centrist' Kasich lmao), by ignoring 3rd parties you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Yours, etc.,

Sir Creep 

Occasional Libertarian

I could see myself voting third party if it were somebody I genuinely liked like Ross Perot. But I can't support Gary Johnson or Jill Stein. Their ideas are too specific and not nearly as moderate as I wish they would be. I of course would vote for a centrist/moderate, but they'll never gain traction in a system designed for a 2 party system unfortunately. 

On 03/23/2017 at 17:33, charon said:

Healthcare withdrawn? Nope. But I do think we should look at is withdrawing the old age pension in entirety. We can't control the lifespan , which is crippling every country in the World, so , if elected, I propose paying the current OAP rates once you hit 18, for say, 20 years. Then nothing. You can piss it up the wall, travel, invest it or whatever, but you get fuck all after the initial payments are up. Not even dole. Would ensure more housing on the market and would be a fixed cost, not a crippling uncertainty.

Lolololololol the cuntos must read here.

Near enough what's in my manifesto :D , principle is the same.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/pensioner-tax-millennials-25-10000-generation-gap-inheritance-a8340601.html

Vote charon.

You know it makes sense.

• Like 2

The Donald called it correctly again, re a cunt.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/08/that-time-trump-predicted-eric-schneidermans-downfall/

Anyone know how the Weimar stuff links to Hilary?

I believe it might.......

2 recent polls out of West Virginia indicate Don Blankenship is ahead. Footsoldiers on the ground in WV say they expect Blankenship to win by double digits. Truly a terrifying time to be alive folks.

As mentioned by Zsa Zsa's Leg, today is the West Virginia Primary.

As a Bernie bro, I'm very excited to see how Justice Democrat "coal miner's daughter" Paula Jean Swearengin will do in her primary against sitting Senator Joe Manchin.

I don't expect her to win, unfortunately, as Manchin has the big money and establishment on his side.

It's sort of understandable when establishment centrist Democrats support people like Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden, who are still somewhat liberal.

But I don't get how ANY Democrat, no matter how centrist, could support Joe Manchin based on principal - he votes with the Trump administration 61% of the time! There are Republicans who are more liberal than him...

The Democratic Party's support of Manchin once again shows that they're not actually for the working people or their progressive base.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

As a Bernie bro, I'm very excited to see how Justice Democrat "coal miner's daughter" Paula Jean Swearengin will do in her primary against sitting Senator Joe Manchin.

I don't expect her to win, unfortunately, as Manchin has the big money and establishment on his side.

It's sort of understandable when establishment centrist Democrats support people like Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden, who are still somewhat liberal.

But I don't get how ANY Democrat, no matter how centrist, could support Joe Manchin based on principal - he votes with the Trump administration 61% of the time! There are Republicans who are more liberal than him...

The Democratic Party's support of Manchin once again shows that they're not actually for the working people or their progressive base.

I think Democrats dodged a bullet that the "justice democrat" movement didn't become a tea party sized movement. Hyperpartisan and far-right and far-left candidates don't perform well in the same way super-centrists don't gain traction in general elections. As much as I policy wise support Swearengin, she would have been curbstomped by Jenkins, Morrisey, and even Blankenship. This similar movement on the right is why they fucked up with Sharron Angle in Nevada, Todd Akin in Missouri, Richard Mourdock in Indiana, and Roy Moore in Alabama. I want Swearengin and most of the other justice democrats to turn the system over from the state level, with commitment fit to serve in state legislators that aren't serving the people, little by little they'll be able to chip away at the Manchins, Pelosis, and Schumers of the country.

23 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Probably because WV is a super conservative state (and even the state's Democrats tend to be more conservative, albeit quite a few don't actually vote Democrat any more) so they have to go for a rather conservative Dem to have any chance. Manchin's the last WV Democratic senator there'll be for a long, long time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Probably because WV is a super conservative state (and even the state's Democrats tend to be more conservative, albeit quite a few don't actually vote Democrat any more) so they have to go for a rather conservative Dem to have any chance. Manchin's the last WV Democratic senator there'll be for a long, long time.

Not forever. The state is still ancestrally Democrat and will vote for whichever party supports the unions and coal, which the Democrats still do more than the Republicans for now. I think State Sen. Richard Ojeda (possibly the next congressman for the third district), has a good shot at beating Senator Shelley Capito if Trump is re-elected. 

No. Vote charon! You know it makes sense. How can you think any different!  

He has a fabulous manifesto including sports bars with smoking and snooker allowed for the partners of pregnant women in every hospital

He's got a very good point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Zsa Zsa's leg Election Night Projections

OH-GOV (Dem) - Richard Cordray

OH-GOV (Gop) - Mike DeWine

OH-SEN (Dem) - Sherrod Brown*

OH-SEN (Gop) - Jim Renacci

IN-SEN (Dem) - Joe Donnelly*

IN-SEN (Gop) - Mike Braun

WV-SEN (Dem) - Joe Manchin*

WV-SEN (Gop) - Patrick Morrisey

Blankenship a distant third in his primary with half the vote in; Cocaine Mitch can sleep easy. Probably will be Morrisey who wins the nomination.

In other news, it's looking quite possible that North Carolina Representative Robert Pittenger will be successfully primaried by far-right candidate Mark Harris. Harris has a narrow edge with most of the vote in.

EDIT: Harris's lead increasing with 4 precints left, so yeah, his primary attempt was successful.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Blankenship a distant third in his primary with half the vote in; Cocaine Mitch can sleep easy. Probably will be Morrisey who wins the nomination.

In other news, it's looking quite possible that North Carolina Representative Robert Pittenger will be successfully primaried by far-right candidate Mark Harris. Harris has a narrow edge with most of the vote in.

EDIT: Harris's lead increasing with 4 precints left, so yeah, his primary attempt was successful.

Stoked as a Democrat. Morrisey is much less of a challenge in the general than Jenkins would have been. Although I wanted Blankenship, I'm still greatful that Jersey Morrisey won. 

Pittenger's primary came out of nowhere, but thankfully his incumbency advantage is gone and our Democrat with millions in the bank (Dan McCready) will have an easier time with Mark Harris who only has $71,000. A split GOP electorate couldn't hurt any, regardless of how relevant it is to who wins the general election. 

What would have been amazing is if Mike Braun lost his primary in Indiana (much less problematic than Rokita and Messer, outraising Donnelly, and can self raise more money out of pocket). This would have required Rokita or Messer dropping out far before Braun came in. This is my hottake: Indiana is the most likely DEM to GOP flip, with West Virginia, North Dakota, Missouri, Montana, and Florida next in line. 

Dems posed pretty impressive numbers for McCready and Linda Coleman in North Carolina, Dem primary vote in all 3 WV districts outnumbered Republican primary votes enormously, and Donnelly faces an inexperienced newcomer to statewide politics in Indiana. Not the best results or the ones I were looking for, but this doesn't erase the blue wave narrative at all, and besides, primaries are not valid indicators about what the general election will be like.

Pennsylvania, Oregon, Nebraska, and Idaho primaries last night. Nothing too important unless you were to think the races for PA Governor and PA Senator (I rate them likely D). But there were some interesting events.

1. In the Democratic race for Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania, Incumbent Lieutenant Governor Mike Stack came in 4th, with Braddock Mayor John Fetterman winning the nomination. 

2. Former Congressman Brad Ashford, looking to win back his old seat against Don Bacon in Nebraska's 2nd District fell short in a primary against "Justice Democrat" Kara Eastman.

3. Democratic Trump Supporter John Morganelli lost his primary in PA-07. 

4. 2010 Tea Party Insurgent Congressman Raúl Labrador flopped in his bid for the GOP nomination to Governor of Idaho, losing to Lieutenant Governor Brad Little.

5. Democrats surged in D vs. R primary turnout against Republicans, specifically in Pennsylvania.

I think the PA-Lt Gov and NE-02 races show the anti-incumbent trends this year, that should TERRIFY Republicans for November. 

• Like 1

*sigh* Only so much I can take.

"Conservative Councils cost you less than Labour" - Theresa May, 2018 pre-Council elections.

Grenfell disaster caused by penny pinching Conservative Council. Not only that, but now every taxpayer in the country is paying for it through re-cladding tower blocks across the country.

Jeremy Hunt apologises for breast cancer screening debacle. He will have to apologise again as it's just been discovered the same thing happened with cervical cancer screening.

All on top of Windrush.

And they have no idea what they're doing on Brexit.

theresa-may-laughing-gif.gif.4803682a16e33880705efd1dd71db17b.gif

• Like 1

My mum, who had breast cancer, pondered the following. 'Why the fuck did people not contact their GP/ Hospital to enquire as to why they had not received an appointment to be screened?  She had to call the hospital on three occassions to remind them that she was due a breast screening and she had not been sent a letter confirming an appointment. Eventually the fuckwitts sent her the required letter. At some point people have to stop the metaphorical ' having their arses wiped for them' and accept that they and they alone are the people best placed to ensure that screening is done in a timely manner. Did none of them, FOR A MOMENT, think 'fuck, i should be due a screening by now, best i get onto them to find put whats going on...' Had my mum had just sat there like a lemon she would now be my late mum. As shit as the NHS is ( and i have a sister whos done over 25 years as a nurse and missus who is an administrator on a ward ) it is true to say that not ALL issues are down to lack of funding, although paying £40 per hr for bank nurses is a tad expensive, people have to take more responsibility for their own fate and stop using the NHS for every fucking sniffle going because its FOC to use. So there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, the most recent Supreme Court decision has basically thrown away workers rights, which basically gives more power to the corrupt lawmakers at this point. Honestly, this makes some of Africa's government look like they are moral...

You clearly need to reread that article. The law preventing workers from banding together has been there since 1925, all the US supreme court is doing following the law. The thing is with the supreme court they can't suddenly declare something unconsitiutional becuase they disagree with it they have to uphold the law. Besides the article you linked clearly has a political agenda and is likely using hyperbole to describe the effect this will have on workers.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, the most recent Supreme Court decision has basically thrown away workers rights, which basically gives more power to the corrupt lawmakers at this point. Honestly, this makes some of Africa's government look like they are moral... 

"this makes some of Africa's government look like they are moral... "

I severely doubt that

On 21/05/2018 at 10:40, Mad Hatter2 said:

You clearly need to reread that article. The law preventing workers from banding together has been there since 1925, all the US supreme court is doing following the law. The thing is with the supreme court they can't suddenly declare something unconsitiutional becuase they disagree with it they have to uphold the law. Besides the article you linked clearly has a political agenda and is likely using hyperbole to describe the effect this will have on workers.

The job of the Supreme Court is not to follow the law, it's to follow and interpret the constitution, which has been around for far longer than 1925. The Supreme Court absolutely has the right to shoot down any legislation it deems unconstitutional. And if they disagree with the law on a constitutional level, they have every right to do their job and make it null and void. 

If the Supreme Court was forced to abide by the laws that congress produces, the system of checks and balances wouldn't exist, as nullifying unconstitutional legislation is a check by the Judicial branch on the Legislative branch and in turn, the executive branch if the President signed the hypothetical law into place.

Death rate due to Hurricane María is close to 5,000, and many of those deaths were preventable. Our administration puts them into neglect because they can’t vote. If his supporters actually had the common knowledge of what went on, then our society would be in a much better place and we wouldn’t have to deal with this shit like this...

• Like 2