Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

This thread is too quiet in light of the mid-terms in the USA.

Now either (I) Americans are not as riled up about them as everyone is reporting; or (II) they're all too busy voting.

Whatever happens, it's been a fascinating watch. I see not only has there been some fineckety-finackety already down in Georgia (who made the candidate the guy in charge of the voting rules? Isn't that insanity?), but now some of the voting machines have suffered "technical difficulties".

And how is it possible in the 21st century that dead people are still on the voting rolls (according to reports)? Here when there is an election, there are canvasses and cross-checks prior to the vote. And when someone dies, generally a return is made to the local authority which is very simple to do and that takes people off liabilities for local taxes etc. and removes them from the voters' roll. In a country proud of it's democracy, why is it always problematic to do the voting thing, you know the foundation of democracy?

*shrug*

• Like 1

I was speaking to an American colleague today who told me that the US election coverage always throws up bizarre state laws that are still in place.

I've done no research to validate these but he tells me that

1) Colorado – by virtue of a language technicality – is the last state in the US where slavery is still legal. An attempt to change that last year failed at the ballot box as some other tax matter was connected to it and people voted no.

2) Georgia -  it is technically illegal and punishable by imprisonment for up to 5 years for a women to “be on top” during sexual relations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A Nevada brothel owner and reality TV star who died last month after fashioning himself as a Donald Trump-style Republican candidate has won a heavily GOP state legislative district.

Dennis Hof defeated Democratic educator Lesia Romanov on Tuesday in the race for Nevada's 36th Assembly District, which includes rural communities and large stretches of desert in the southern part of the state. County officials will appoint a Republican to take his place in the seat.
SC

• Like 1

Fucking scientists want to tax my bacon butties. Fuck off

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46122227

We get it. Shit food is bad for you. So fecking what. 6,000 deaths? 600,000 people give or take a few tens of thousand die a year in the uk.  It's a very small amount. This isn't like smoking where 120,000 people a year die from it. 

Leave my bacon buttie alone until death rates are the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Really not a good night for the democrats in the senate. So far, the Republicans flipped Indiana, North Dakota, Missouri, and Florida with Montana and Arizona still yet to be called. Wasn’t all bad there, the democrats were able to flip the seat in Nevada, and while Beto O’Rourke did lose to Ted Cruz, the fact that he was able to make that seat a fight is absolutely amazing. Democrats will control the House though, and while it wasn’t the blue wave they were hoping for, they did flip a few seats that you thought would never go Republican, including one house seat in my own state of Oklahoma! :o 

• Like 1

A so-so night as a whole. Getting the House is excellent, and my state made me proud in flipping 3 seats to the Dems. Senate tanked as expected - but I guess it could've been a lot worse given how dreadful a map it was for the Dems (though Nelson losing was a surprise to me). Like Joey I'm proud of Beto's result and while it was too early for him, I think it sets a solid framework for Texas Dems in the future. Governorships were disappointing with several potential Dem pickups failing, but they at least made gains there, and seeing Kobach and Walker go down in particular was satisfying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

A so-so night as a whole. Getting the House is excellent, and my state made me proud in flipping 3 seats to the Dems. Senate tanked as expected - but I guess it could've been a lot worse given how dreadful a map it was for the Dems (though Nelson losing was a surprise to me). Like Joey I'm proud of Beto's result and while it was too early for him, I think it sets a solid framework for Texas Dems in the future. Governorships were disappointing with several potential Dem pickups failing, but they at least made gains there, and seeing Kobach and Walker go down in particular was satisfying.

Sorry but getting the house was the worse possible outcome for Democrats. Trump now has an outright scape-goat and he'll make use of it in buckets Those who were inclined Trumps way are going to be even more entrenched in that view now. He'll win a second term and both houses in 2020.If I had a house I'd put mine on that. 

I doubt it will make a difference.

How many things has he got passed there in the last 2 years? Less than 2 is it?

Liberal cuntos will whine impeachment, but not on the cards, be a waste of time and money.

Deathers got the scape goat right, 4 more right, and I too would put his house on it, if he had one.

• Haha 1

Looks like Jon Tester will hold on to his seat in Montana. The last senate race to be called is Arizona, in which we won’t know for a few days at least. Martha McSally is leading there by about 1%, but with multiple votes yet to be counted, Sinema could also be the victor there. It’s too close to call right now anyhow...

On 07/11/2018 at 17:30, Deathray said:

Sorry but getting the house was the worse possible outcome for Democrats. Trump now has an outright scape-goat and he'll make use of it in buckets Those who were inclined Trumps way are going to be even more entrenched in that view now. He'll win a second term and both houses in 2020.If I had a house I'd put mine on that

If I had a house I'd put mine on that

I think radiating your balls would be a good alternative

46013258_1023717201123589_2709157343299371008_o.thumb.jpg.3f19db9ec41548b985a1f7c6d444a3ef.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

latest_numbers_LNS14000000_1984_1988_all_period_M12_data.gif

And the same chart for the 5 years after The Smiths released Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now. :D

• Haha 1

Trump will win in 2020.  Even bush won in 2004 after losing house,senate and with an unpopular war. Though florida voting for criminals to be able to vote might switch florida back blue. But i can see trump winning nevada and new hampshire to get over the line. Pennsylvania i think will be the key.

• Like 1

IMO, it really depends on who the Democratic candidate is on whether Trump gets re-elected or not. If they elect another establishment type democrat like Joe Biden (as much as I like him), Trump has a good chance of getting re-elected. However, if someone like Beto O’Rourke is the nominee, then they would be a serious challenger to Trump. Of course, democrats will likely fuck it up in some way again to make Trump re-elected, but they could definitely win...

6 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Trump will win in 2020.  Even bush won in 2004 after losing house,senate and with an unpopular war. Though florida voting for criminals to be able to vote might switch florida back blue. But i can see trump winning nevada and new hampshire to get over the line. Pennsylvania i think will be the key.

Bush didn't lose House or Senate until 2006. His party actually made gains in the 2002 midterms, due to the aftermath of 9/11 creating a considerably different political environment for a midterm.

10 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Bush didn't lose House or Senate until 2006. His party actually made gains in the 2002 midterms, due to the aftermath of 9/11 creating a considerably different political environment for a midterm.

Yea confused 2002 with 2006. Remember the lame duck president quotes and everyone expecting him to lose in 2004. Still trump made gains in the senate despite him being a 'so called' one off.

Biden is a very good campaigner (he was crucial to the 2012 re-election with his constant touring of the rust belt) but he's far too old now to run for President. Bernie Sanders would lose, and is also far too old. Hilary Clinton was, is, and will be a terrible candidate. Really, 2020 hangs on who the Democrats pick. Every time they picked an old familar face, they struggle badly, like Hilary, Gore, Dukakis and the most depressing political candidate of all time, John Kerry.  When they do well, they go for young, new and charismatic figures like 1992 Bill Clinton, or Obama, or even Kennedy going way back. They need more of that, and less of Hilary types.

• Like 1

Trump Senate gains were inevitable IMO given it was an utterly dreadful map for Dems. McCaskill and Donnelly's 2012 wins were flukes to begin with given they only won via their opponents making stupid comments about rape, which tbh probably wouldn't even be fatal anymore in this hyper-polarized political environment. Likewise Heitkamp only won last time due to a weak candidate.

Dems need someone who can motivate and do strongly in the states that were most lukewarmly Trump in 2016. Not sure if they do yet. Keeping all the Hillary states plus flipping back PA/MI/WI would be enough for the win but obviously any Hillary-styled milquetoasts will struggle doing that.

• Like 1

IMO, the fact that the democrats were able to hold on to seats in West Virginia and Montana as well likely flipping the seat in Arizona shows that despite the gains the the GOP had, the democrats were able to hold their own in a lot of places, and that’s something to be proud about...

I can see Beto O Rourke being another jon ossoff,though beto is more likeable. He also lost aswell but he is still a congressman so a run could happen. Will he raise enough money? Will people reinvest in someone who just lost or has he had his chance? You only have a small window of opportunity to be president.I think the field in 2024 will be very interesting, i don't think the democrats will run one of their rising stars against trump in 2020 at the risk of wasting them for 2024.

We saw this with Trump in 2012 and him delaying until 2016 and one of the regulars mitt romney ran.Trump is raising huge amounts of money and his ground game will be even better than 2016.

Tim kaine or elizabeth warren are the two i would choose right now as the ones the dems will run. Trump may know something we don't , maybe he has heard rumours warren is being primed for a run hence his attention towards warren and vice versa.

2 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

i think the democrats won't run one of their rising stars against trump in 2020 at the risk of wasting them in 2024.

Yeah, although remember the reason Bill Clinton became President. All of the so called favourites didn't run because Bush Sr was unbeatable!

• Like 1

A very interesting video and perfectly describes what's going currently. Maybe the soviet union won and maybe it's the democrats who are in bed with Russia. Don't forget all Trump said were he wanted peace and a relationship with Russia. 35 years ago this speech was given either yuri bezmenov is an oracle or he's telling the truth.

Theresa May sets about trying to win parliamentary votes from the DUP for her Brexit plan:

7 hours ago, paddyfool said:

Hmmmm.

Seems don't piss off the DUP under European unification is the updated version.