Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

35 minutes ago, msc said:

I knew a guy who was so convinced Farage would be the PM in 2015, he put money on it. And  that's why you never see a broke bookie. :lol:

Lol I'm quite tempted by The Donald to get 4 more.

9/5 is a steal IMO.

Lol at the Truth in this :D

48336044_1984960344928560_36428243923978

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone think the ERG could form a new party and force a vote of no confidence in the house.

They've shown they absolutely despise May and would do anything for a no deal situation, doing this and forcing a general election would pretty much guarantee a no deal.

It risks opening the road for a national government to block such an election but could be a way forward for them. 

• Like 1

The Tories have rejected Labour's motion of no confidence in Theresa May. 

This means there will now probably be a vote of no confidence in the government, which the government can't reject and could actually result in a new election.

Too early in my opinion, but he can always call another one in a few weeks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Deathray said:

The Tories have rejected Labour's motion of no confidence in Theresa May. 

This means there will now probably be a vote of no confidence in the government, which the government can't reject and could actually result in a new election.

Too early in my opinion, but he can always call another one in a few weeks.

Well he has to go for it. 

Completely painted into a corner now, if he doesn't persue it he is fucked within his party and fucked to his army of supporters who think he only needs to turn up on election day to sweep to power.

Next question is how many Labour MPs would side with the government such is their dislike for Corbyn and the whole hijacking of the Labour party.

It's warming up nicely!

9 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Well he has to go for it. 

Completely painted into a corner now, if he doesn't persue it he is fucked within his party and fucked to his army of supporters who think he only needs to turn up on election day to sweep to power.

Next question is how many Labour MPs would side with the government such is their dislike for Corbyn and the whole hijacking of the Labour party.

It's warming up nicely!

and whether an of the ERG would vote against

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

and whether an of the ERG would vote against

I think we're more likely to see a few Tories with essential family commitments they have to attend to than anything else.

Excellently played by May,

If he doesn't go for it, he looks empty.

If he does go for it now, he almost certainly loses.

If he waits for it until after Christmas to submit it the whole premise of it falls down.

• Angry 1

11 hours ago, Deathray said:

I think we're more likely to see a few Tories with essential family commitments they have to attend to than anything else.

Excellently played by May,

If he doesn't go for it, he looks empty.

If he does go for it now, he almost certainly loses.

If he waits for it until after Christmas to submit it the whole premise of it falls down.

Unfortunately true.

Corbyn is in a corner and I can't see a way out. I am now seeing May's Deal getting through as the clock runs down. Otherwise it will be No Deal which will be as big a betrayal of the Remain voters who were told tgey would be listened too as a second referendum would be of the Leave voters.

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Unfortunately true.

Corbyn is in a corner and I can't see a way out. I am now seeing May's Deal getting through as the clock runs down. Otherwise it will be No Deal which will be as big a betrayal of the Remain voters who were told tgey would be listened too as a second referendum would be of the Leave voters.

Emergency Brexit debate in progress now.

Starmer at least trying to regain some ground for Labour after being challenged to VoNC by Tories; "we're not going to take that advice of the government on when to have a vote of no confidence in the government". 

Smaller parties have gone for no confidence motion, according to Reporting Scotland.

22 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Smaller parties have gone for no confidence motion, according to Reporting Scotland.

Is this the same as their attempt to amend the Labour no confidence motion which was meaningless?

Or is this a new meaningless attempt to force a vote of no confidence that the government can ignore because it's not the official opposition bringing it? In other words their own motion of no consequence to go along with the motion of no consequence that Labour submitted?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

Is this the same as their attempt to amend the Labour no confidence motion which was meaningless?

Or is this a new meaningless attempt to force a vote of no confidence that the government can ignore because it's not the official opposition bringing it? In other words their own motion of no consequence to go along with the motion of no consequence that Labour submitted?

Sounds about right. ;)

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Sounds about right. ;)

It is indeed there own motion of no consequence. It'll be debated on the next SNP opposition day, unless Tezza plays a blinder and gives time to it to force the Labour party into a position.

Just keeping clear of the May thread, but interesting all the coverage this is getting.

In the last couple of days in that shithole called Westminster, we have had;

Dennis Skinner calling an SNP MP a "piece of shit"

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17291339.dennis-skinner-explains-calling-snp-mp-a-piece-of-shit/

And a Tory telling an SNP MP to "go home to Skye"

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ian-blackford-told-go-back-to-skye-by-tory-mp-1-4845779

Not heard a peep on the Beeb about either.

• Like 3

On 19/12/2018 at 10:50, charon said:

And a Tory telling an SNP MP to "go home to Skye"

That's a great line, politics and PC horseshit aside.  

The Democratic nomination for 2020 will probably be massive. So far, Julian Castro, Elizabeth Warren, and Jay Inslee has already formed an exploratory committee while John Delaney, Richard Ojeda, and Andrew Yang has officially entered the race. And I’m certain that it’s far from the last people running for president in 2020...

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

The Democratic nomination for 2020 will probably be massive. So far, Julian Castro, Elizabeth Warren, and Jay Inslee has already formed an exploratory committee while John Delaney, Richard Ojeda, and Andrew Yang has officially entered the race. And I’m certain that it’s far from the last people running for president in 2020...

Are we supposed to know who any of these people are?

Lucking quite likely Mitt Romney will try and get in Trump's position before the 2020 election. 

Good to see the BBC not just reporting the news but giving everybody their opinions on it too.

I think it might be too early to open a thread for the US 2020 election but I was looking at the (huge) list of potential Democratic candidates one person seemed to stand out (but not in a good way) so I am asking our regular US watchers..... Is Richard Ojeda a viable candidate because in all his pictures he looks like he would be at home at a Britain First rally?

Will any Republican stand against Trump?

If the match up against Ojeda vs Trump happens, I think it’s very likely that Ojeda will beat Trump because I feel like he can connect to the people that Trump was able to connect with in 2016. Problem is that he’s going to have a really hard time winning the primary especially if the media continues to ignore him. So yes, I do think he’s a viable candidate, but it’s going to be really hard for him to win the nomination...

• Thanks 1

I like Ojeda a lot. He's moderate on some policies, but in general is a left-populist.

He can connect with leftie Bernie-bros like me, as well as with very conservative old-school Southern Democrats, and plenty of independents!

Problem is - he's being ignored by the media. He has no chance of winning the primary. 

The big dogs are Kamala Harris, Joe Biden, Beto O'Rourke, and Bernie Sanders - assuming they all decide to run, which is quite likely. 

For now I'm with Bernie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

I like Ojeda a lot. He's moderate on some policies, but in general is a left-populist.

He can connect with leftie Bernie-bros like me, as well as with very conservative old-school Southern Democrats, and plenty of independents!

Problem is - he's being ignored by the media. He has no chance of winning the primary. 

The big dogs are Kamala Harris, Joe Biden, Beto O'Rourke, and Bernie Sanders - assuming they all decide to run, which is quite likely. 

For now I'm with Bernie.

Is Elizabeth Warren Bernie Lite?