Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

Windrush Generation deporter and benefit sanction killer welcomes white supremacist baby cager for a State Visit.

Announcement made on St Georges Day.

:banghead:

Gotta laugh at Dickie Dawkins applying to become an MEP candidate for the Chukka Gang... and them telling him to fuck off.

Gavin Williamson's got a face you'd never tire of pelting with rocks.

• Like 1

So it’s local Election Day in England and Northern Ireland.

I think it’s going to be the following

A- a desperately low turnout 

B- a shambles for all the major parties

Its also the first election as a local government employee in 15 years that I’m not working on it in some form or other. I could have done the count tonight but even I’m sick of it all. It’s just not worth the hassle.

• Like 1

Voted. The fact that I was only the 9th voter after 90 minutes shows The apathy here. Obviously Postal votes will help but it was a underwhelming choice 

Tories

Labour

Lib Dems

UKIP

Its a strong Labour ward (ex council estate mostly) and the incumbent has been a good Cllr and should get back in no trouble but even I changed my vote from her in protest because of the national mess and the anti Semitic feelings.

But at least I voted. 

I expect a good turnout in my area as the current Conservative council has made some very unpopular decisions, eg charging us for collecting green waste. 

Another thing they've done is introduce permits to use the tip/recycling centre.  As the tip is right on the edge of the council boundary, it means that residents who live only a mile or two from the tip, but in the neighbouring council area, are now not allowed to use it.  I'm in the opposite position - I'm nearer the tip run by another council, so I go there - they don't require permits.  People should be encouraged to use the tip closest to them - it will all even out.

No Lib Dem candidate in my ward, and we have a very active Green candidate so I'll be voting for her.  Down with the recycling tax!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Toast said:

I expect a good turnout in my area as the current Conservative council has made some very unpopular decisions, eg charging us for collecting green waste. 

Another thing they've done is introduce permits to use the tip/recycling centre.  As the tip is right on the edge of the council boundary, it means that residents who live only a mile or two from the tip, but in the neighbouring council area, are now not allowed to use it.  I'm in the opposite position - I'm nearer the tip run by another council, so I go there - they don't require permits.  People should be encouraged to use the tip closest to them - it will all even out.

No Lib Dem candidate in my ward, and we have a very active Green candidate so I'll be voting for her.  Down with the recycling tax!

Green candidate is very unlikely to win though

58 minutes ago, runebomme said:

Green candidate is very unlikely to win though

I'm not so sure.  There's no Lib Dem candidate and the Conservative lady has not impressed with her canvassing.  It's a rural ward of a few villages, and the Green lady is well known and continually active in promoting environmental issues.  I think she has caught the zeitgeist.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toast said:

I'm not so sure.  There's no Lib Dem candidate and the Conservative lady has not impressed with her canvassing.  It's a rural ward of a few villages, and the Green lady is well known and continually active in promoting environmental issues.  I think she has caught the zeitgeist.

I’ve a sneaky feeling the Green candidate in Drake Ward here in Plymouth (covering the University) whilst not winning will take the 2nd spot and comfortably at that. It’s gone from being a Conservative ward to strongly Labour in the last few years with the Greens doing very very well.

Shame the rest of the City is split between the big two now (UKIP vote collapsed last time around and they lost 2 Cllrs with the others defecting to Tory. It needs a shake up tbh

17 minutes ago, philheybrookbay said:

I’ve a sneaky feeling the Green candidate in Drake Ward here in Plymouth (covering the University) whilst not winning will take the 2nd spot and comfortably at that. It’s gone from being a Conservative ward to strongly Labour in the last few years with the Greens doing very very well.

Shame the rest of the City is split between the big two now (UKIP vote collapsed last time around and they lost 2 Cllrs with the others defecting to Tory. It needs a shake up tbh

Trouble is, people tend to lose sight of the fact that it's a LOCAL election and we should be voting for the people who are most likely to do the best for us. 

Our current councillor pissed me off when he "mansplained" to me about the green bin charges.  Bad enough being patronised, but it subsequently became clear that he had misread the information issued by the council and thought the charge was much lower than it is. 

Him:  I think £67 is rather a good deal for two bins.

Me:  It's £97 for two bins.  Plus another £27 if you don't already have a second bin.

Sadly I won't be able to help vote this incompetent twat out, because boundary changes have since put us in the neighbouring ward.

15 minutes ago, Toast said:

Trouble is, people tend to lose sight of the fact that it's a LOCAL election and we should be voting for the people who are most likely to do the best for us. 

Our current councillor pissed me off when he "mansplained" to me about the green bin charges.  Bad enough being patronised, but it subsequently became clear that he had misread the information issued by the council and thought the charge was much lower than it is. 

Him:  I think £67 is rather a good deal for two bins.

Me:  It's £97 for two bins.  Plus another £27 if you don't already have a second bin.

Sadly I won't be able to help vote this incompetent twat out, because boundary changes have since put us in the neighbouring ward.

Imagining the fate of a councilor who tried putting a £97 charge on a wheelie bin in Govan...

Caused a bit of confusion for the press here in 2017 when in May, Glasgow voted to oust the council (Labour) after 35 years, then in June, produced significant swing from SNP to Labour in the general election. Whereas it was very simple: while many Glaswegians appeared won over by Corbyn to vote for him, they really fucking hated the council! :lol:

Also, inside 2 years: building 2 new Clyde bridges, just announced a transport plan to reconnect the poorer suburbs to the city centre, reopening nurseries, lobbied for lottery funding to help conserve some of the old crumbling Victorian buildings etc etc ie all the stuff the last council said couldn't possibly be done. So yeah, boot out the dinosaurs, I say.

• Like 2

While we in Scotland look on in bemusement, it is worth remembering that while the Shire (the ghost of charon compels me) is having its local elections it was the Con Government who raised the foreign aid budget at the same time as cutting the local government budget, all in real terms.

So when your local library closes and your road falls to pieces and your Council Tax goes up to pay for extra police, take comfort that those in Yemen are receiving humanitarian aid. Oh wait, the Government sold the arms to Saudi Arabia to cause the crisis there.

Well maybe there are some acting troupes in Rwanda getting some help at least. Think on that when you are tripping over the local homeless and reading in your local paper that your councillor is taking a photo op at the opening of the latest food bank.

In the UK. In the 21st century. Jesus H. :P

6 hours ago, Toast said:

Honestly, I would rather shit into my hands and clap like a lunatic than vote for anybody on the green party.

Infact, when I am the World leader and dictator, I am going to round all of those monkey c**ts up and banish them to Clacton.

Obviously this would be after I got advice from Trump on how to build a wall big enough to stop the bastards from getting out.

It was very much a tactical vote to get the Tory out, and I was relieved there was no Lib Dem in the mix to split the vote. 

I've just returned from the trolling station; there were 11 officials and five voters (including me) in the room and there wasn't an awful lot of strikes through the names on the register.  :facepalm:

• Like 1

I think the predictions of Tory losses of 800-1000 council seats have been spun high so that if it turns out to be only 500 they can say they have done better than expected. However if it is higher than 1000 then the PM is in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

I've just returned from the trolling station; there were 11 officials and five voters (including me) in the room and there wasn't an awful lot of strikes through the names on the register.  :facepalm:

You were voting for a mayor as well. Is Pull it down Pete standing again?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think the predictions of Tory losses of 800-1000 council seats have been spun high so that if it turns out to be only 500 they can say they have done better than expected. However if it is higher than 1000 then the PM is in trouble.

"PM is in trouble"

nothing new then

7 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

You were voting for a mayor as well. Is Pull it down Pete standing again?

Oh yes, he's running for a third term.

• Like 1

I was one of two people in my polling station. I only had 3 choices: Tory, Labour or Lib Dem. I very nearly drew a dick and balls over the ballot paper. The meagre turnout, however, was such that it could've accidentally won a majority. On the knowledge that my dick and balls wouldn't have enough time to commit to being local councillor, I voted Lib Dem instead. Looking at the pictures of the candidates, he was the nearest thing.

• Haha 4

Our polling station is in the pub, so that has probably encouraged turnout. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I was one of two people in my polling station. I only had 3 choices: Tory, Labour or Lib Dem. I very nearly drew a dick and balls over the ballot paper. The meagre turnout, however, was such that it could've accidentally won a majority. On the knowledge that my dick and balls wouldn't have enough time to commit to being local councillor, I voted Lib Dem instead. Looking at the pictures of the candidates, he was the nearest thing.

Related image