Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

2 hours ago, the_engineer said:

I can see labour ,Tories and the rest of the unionist parties creating a unionist umbrella party . Scottish Union party maybe? I know there's alliance for unity with a loose tactical voting cooperation going on.

George Galloway is all over twatter with his tactical voting schtik.

I doubt if it will do any good and, I reckon, wee Jimmy will survive.

It will be fascinating to watch Scotland turn into a shit version of Venezuela.

On 04/03/2021 at 21:17, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

George Galloway is all over twatter with his tactical voting schtik.

I doubt if it will do any good and, I reckon, wee Jimmy will survive.

It will be fascinating to watch Scotland turn into a shit version of Venezuela.

It's almost a guarantee if Scotland get independence they'll be a one party state and the SNP will blame UK /English for everything that subsequently goes tits up.

• Like 1

Actually if the last week has shown up anything, it's that the SNP, far from being Fianna Fail, are a ragtag bunch of groups and cliques who hate each other and their non-indy related politics. Should they ever get independence they'd crumble afterwards, and we'd have some form of right wing, centrist and centre left choice like most of Europe.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, msc said:

Actually if the last week has shown up anything, it's that the SNP, far from being Fianna Fail, are a ragtag bunch of groups and cliques who hate each other and their non-indy related politics. Should they ever get independence they'd crumble afterwards, and we'd have some form of right wing, centrist and centre left choice like most of Europe.

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

23 hours ago, msc said:

That’s the claim out there. The SNP is apparently only the vehicle to independence.

After independence Scotland would then develop a new party system not reliant on Yes v No politics. 

That’s what the SNP say to try and get the folk who hate them to vote for them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir Charms said:

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

No, I don't.

33 minutes ago, Windsor said:

That’s the claim out there. The SNP is apparently only the vehicle to independence.

After independence Scotland would then develop a new party system not reliant on Yes v No politics. 

That’s what the SNP say to try and get the folk who hate them to vote for them.

Mate, you really don't get how much most of these people hate each other. SNP on SNP rivalries are more bitter than their hatred of other parties even. They wont hold together because they'll be trying to destroy each other so they can be the ones in charge.

“Scottish independence is a dead cer-“

2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

“Scottish independence is a dead cer-“

Still too close for my liking. 

All those birthday cairds they’ve been sending to 16 year olds must be paying off. Shower of grooming bastards...

I honestly don’t know whether to laugh, cry or emigrate.

4A3277CC-7846-45C3-9DC4-3462F8499F40.thumb.jpeg.4421109e8228a639d7061167e9eb5610.jpeg

I note the police are being criticised for being heavy handed in breaking up the Sarah Everard vigil. 

Personally I think the whole thing is a load of bollocks. While I am sure there will have been genuine ‘survivors’, I noticed most of the noise was coming from women who gave themselves an equal victim status to Sarah Everard because they had been wolf-whistled at on occasion in the street.

Sarah Everard was a victim of murder. Not of a Wolf-whistle. 

Listened to one of them on the news who explained that, as a man, if I see a woman walking on one side of the road in the dark that I should cross to the other side so she doesn’t feel threatened. The same woman said that as a man if I am walking at night I shouldn’t walk bristly as that can cause alarm.

Here’s an idea: she can stay inside after dark, the arsehole!

Regarding the vigil. I believe all vigils, except for those involving close family, to be an absolute waste of time. They achieve nothing and only serve to allow most of the attendees to draw attention to themselves. There’s no place for them in lockdown. 

• Like 1

Totally agree, Windsor. 

Part of the problem, as I have recently posted elsewhere here, is that it seems young girls are no longer advised and encouraged to reduce their risks and vulnerability, but instead told that they are entitled to do anything they please, including getting pissed and walking alone in the dark.  These people are not liberating women, they are enabling the predators.

Various countries have spent billions on all their trips to Mars and still the best they can say is there 'may be vast amounts of water locked up on Mars' and yet we still get begging adverts on TV telling us that there are millions of people on this planet that don't have access to clean drinking water.

Something is a little bit screwed up I think.

Ian Hislop here, being absolutely right on the money, so to speak, about our wretched govt’s use of money.

• Like 1

Decided to put this here and save the By-election Bingo page for competition related posts but I want to consider The Northern Independence Party.

Whilst I have some sympathy with the aims and where they have come from I feel their current strategy is potentially harmful.

Do they have they support they claim and if so is it just transient or a real demand for change? In the Hartlepool By-election Kier Starmer has played in to their hands by imposing a candidate on them who has some issues. 

However I can only see them picking up disgruntled Labour votes and potentially gifting the seat to the Conservatives. 

On their website they claim:

We are opposed to all forms of ideology based on hatred and bigotry

Which suggests they may not do too well picking up the votes of the 70% of the electorate who voted for Brexit in 2016. 

Even if they won Hartlepool it won't affect Johnson as they could claim they didn't expect the Conservatives to win it anyway. However it might make Labour realise that the Left needs to be united to have a real chance of victory in 2024.

• Like 1

I think a Northern Independence Party is a really, really, really shit idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

However it might make Labour realise that the Left needs to be united to have a real chance of victory in 2024.

This is the crux of it, yes. Can’t remember where it was I read it but if Labour could completely unite with everyone left of centre, they’d be predicted to win around 400 or so seats in the next GE, factoring in current poll trends and how much ground Labour have to make up. Corbyn wouldn’t entertain the idea and only won about 200. Everyone needs to wake up and realise that GEs are currently a straight up choice between Tory and Not Tory.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

This is the crux of it, yes. Can’t remember where it was I read it but if Labour could completely unite with everyone left of centre, they’d be predicted to win around 400 or so seats in the next GE, factoring in current poll trends and how much ground Labour have to make up. Corbyn wouldn’t entertain the idea and only won about 200. Everyone needs to wake up and realise that GEs are currently a straight up choice between Tory and Not Tory.

Ironically, voting wise this is what happened in 1997. Voters in general looked at who was second in the seat at the previous election and voted for them, so there was Tory/Liberal seats where the Labour vote went down, and Tory/Labour seats where the Lib Dem vote collapsed. So coupled with the natural Tory to Labour vote swing and the vast number of Tories who just stayed at home, that result went from "a huge win for Labour" to "apocalypse now" for the Tories.

It was Nick Clegg who started dismantling most of this, and then of course the coalition pretty much killed Labour/Liberal relations ever since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Ironically, voting wise this is what happened in 1997. Voters in general looked at who was second in the seat at the previous election and voted for them, so there was Tory/Liberal seats where the Labour vote went down, and Tory/Labour seats where the Lib Dem vote collapsed. So coupled with the natural Tory to Labour vote swing and the vast number of Tories who just stayed at home, that result went from "a huge win for Labour" to "apocalypse now" for the Tories.

It was Nick Clegg who started dismantling most of this, and then of course the coalition pretty much killed Labour/Liberal relations ever since.

This also happened in 2016 and cost the Tories their slim majority. The peripheral parties were squeezed out. At the 2019 election Jo Swinson's lack of willingness to consider working with Jeremy Corbyn basically made her a Tory in a yellow dress. 

The vileness of the current Government should make Kier Starmer's job very easy but he is going out of his way to piss off the people he needs to win whilst trying to court those who will never vote for him

• Like 2

When can we declare war on the EU?

034FB43D-8068-4686-AAE0-C32CD20549D0.jpeg

• Haha 1

This, from Cold War Steve off of Twitter, is yet another funny yet devastatingly accurate representation of the UK in its current sickening state.

4BE669B4-9CAB-410B-9473-B6DCDF4C0BAB.thumb.jpeg.3cf127acee8ac37ee47ee31a6a31af7b.jpeg

39 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

This, from Cold War Steve off of Twitter, is yet another funny yet devastatingly accurate representation of the UK in its current sickening state.

4BE669B4-9CAB-410B-9473-B6DCDF4C0BAB.thumb.jpeg.3cf127acee8ac37ee47ee31a6a31af7b.jpeg

Let me guess, in one of those stores, in a basement, you are mostly being Anne Frank, right?

1 hour ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Well, who doesn't enjoy a street party?

Let’s conduct a quick poll here among our Scottish demographic here.

Who thinks Alex Salmond’s new ‘Alba’ party is worth a vote in the next Holyrood elections?

Who thinks Alex Salmond’s new ‘Alba’ party is worth a vote in the next Holyrood elections?

it might damage the Greens who, in my view, are scum of the earth. So that might work for me.

It’s not worth voting at all in the Holyrood elections. The SNP and the Tories have practically made it a proxy vote on Independence. Rather than policy, you have to chose which side of the independence debate you sit. 

You called?

He's a gobshite. It'll probably hurt the Greens who are the only decent party in Holyrood. :D

• Like 2