Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

1 hour ago, msc said:

You called?

He's a gobshite. It'll probably hurt the Greens who are the only decent party in Holyrood. :D

I disagree.  (Not about him being a gobshite)  I don't want to be paying more for petrol/diesel, getting my car taxed double.  Green Party bad. 

All the parties suck

2 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

I disagree.  (Not about him being a gobshite)  I don't want to be paying more for petrol/diesel, getting my car taxed double.  Green Party bad. 

I refer you to the post before mine. ;)

(Although you could argue Patrick Harvie is the most successful leader in Scotland. Certainly in terms of actual MSPs to influence and getting what they want. Plays the game very well.)

2 hours ago, Windsor said:

The SNP and the Tories have practically made it a proxy vote on Independence. Rather than policy, you have to chose which side of the independence debate you sit. 

I dunno...make the place free of Tory, then vote ‘no’ if the referendum comes about. Keep the indies in and then snub them. Perfect satire innit.

5 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Let’s conduct a quick poll here among our Scottish demographic here.

Who thinks Alex Salmond’s new ‘Alba’ party is worth a vote in the next Holyrood elections?

I think it is a great idea, it will split the snp vote down the middle and that can only mean that they will lose a lot of seats.

Best thing that has happened in Scottish politics for decades

It'll be as successful as the Change UK party imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I dunno...make the place free of Tory, then vote ‘no’ if the referendum comes about. Keep the indies in and then snub them. Perfect satire innit.

It’s in Scotland’s interests to keep the SNP in power but never let them win their independence referendum. We are in the unusual situation where we have a party in power which has not yet achieved its fundamental goal.

So long as we keep this fine balance by keeping them so close to their ideological goals but yet just far enough to keep them from it, they will continue to give us free stuff.

Devolution under the SNP: Scotland will never have it so good again if we give them what they want.

• Like 2

Some highlights of Home Office spending during the pandemic:

BB32F384-BA03-4374-960F-C324067C50BA.thumb.jpeg.43a8ca2aa7119f2e9324d70578c7916d.jpeg

C69D6E6B-9C14-454B-A19C-2C670CC222EC.thumb.jpeg.7bccaaf67a6abecced538bff76558336.jpeg

A lot of this is quite clearly money laundering.

Keir Starmer has been approached for comment after Priti Patel appeared to spend £77k on eyebrows

D0DD3C3C-4FE8-4B90-9CF3-B48EAA3B5B2B.thumb.jpeg.8bb031da1ed390cb85b0019b64119ad2.jpeg

15 hours ago, msc said:

It'll be as successful as the Change UK party imo.

The first defection has happened and Alba now has an MP in UK Parliament.

Most likely, that’ll happen another few times, then they’ll get wiped out in the election. So yeah, pretty much an exact repeat of Change UK but with funny accents.

5 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Most likely, that’ll happen another few times, then they’ll get wiped out in the election. So yeah, pretty much an exact repeat of Change UK but with funny accents.

This was Joanna Cherry's moment to be first and she couldn't even manage that. 

They've got Corrie Wilson too, off of shit MPs the Tories beat.

PS He's standing on the list for Alba in May. So that could be three (likely more) byelections this year - who DID @Bibliogryphon pray to for more excitement in his byelection bingo? :lol:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, msc said:

This was Joanna Cherry's moment to be first and she couldn't even manage that. 

They've got Corrie Wilson too, off of shit MPs the Tories beat.

But intriguingly  she went off twitter saying  she was unwell the day before Salmond  made his announcement? I wonder if there was a link? Maybe she was contemplating  jumping  ship or had decided  against  it but was conflicted and green with envy because she was aware someone else was going to jump ship?

She could also gave genuinely been unwell  for unconnected  reasons  but the timing was curious 

1 hour ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I think many Scottish  accents sound  rather  sexy and intelligent more than anything  else rather than funny!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think many Scottish  accents sound  rather  sexy and intelligent more than anything  else rather than funny!

I’d say the direct opposite :lol: Horses for courses innit. It’s not a patch on a mild Irish accent for me!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I’d say the direct opposite :lol: Horses for courses innit. It’s not a patch on a mild Irish accent for me!

Begorrahh feck offf.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I love how only now, when he ‘betrays’ his party, is Kenny MacAskill - the man who freed the Lockerbie Bomber on compassionate grounds - seen as an embarrassment to Scotland in the eyes of the SNP.

I hate the man, but he has been a stalwart of the party for decades. Seeing how quickly the party card holders have turned on him should be an eye opener to the culture of fear the SNP instilled from the top level to the family environment in Scotland.

You’re either with them, or you are a cunt who will be cut off.

Details from Jennifer Arcuri on her affair with Boris Johnson have made me violently ill. The fourth point in particular :puke:

0E63EBE7-603B-47A2-B7DF-04262173EDDA.jpeg.731c58e27acb0c3525c6128d1857ecef.jpeg

“Venio! Venio! Venio! Venio! ... ... Veni.”

The Proclaimers have come out in support of Alba (or Aliba, if you like).

The Chesham and Amersham by-election should be a non-event. The Conservative vote here has not dipped below 50% since it's creation. The only way it would be a story is if Boris were to lose it and under current polling that does not look likely.

• Like 1

Hartlepool, constituency voting intention via Survation:

CON: 49% (+20)
LAB: 42% (+4)
NIP: 2% (+2) [Northern Independence Party – a new party, formed in Oct 2020, campaigning for... I shit you not...independence for Northumbria (historical definition, not the current county which is much smaller)]
LDEM: 1% (-3) [Lawl... who'd have thought becoming a one issue party would land you in the shit, eh? :rolleyes:]
REFUK: 1% (-25) [Formerly called the Brexit Party]
GRN: 1% (+1)

Changes are with what each party got in the 2019 General Election.

Take it with a pinch of salt, because the sample size was only ~500, but that's not stopping a lot of Labour types demanding Keir/Keith is axed... and in fairness to the Corbynistas, it's no longer just them!

On 04/04/2021 at 13:58, time said:

The Proclaimers have come out in support of Alba (or Aliba, if you like).

Maybe they could walk 500 more into the sea and get to fuck?

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Hartlepool, constituency voting intention via Survation:

CON: 49% (+20)
LAB: 42% (+4)
NIP: 2% (+2) [Northern Independence Party – a new party, formed in Oct 2020, campaigning for... I shit you not...independence for Northumbria (historical definition, not the current county which is much smaller)]
LDEM: 1% (-3) [Lawl... who'd have thought becoming a one issue party would land you in the shit, eh? :rolleyes:]
REFUK: 1% (-25) [Formerly called the Brexit Party]
GRN: 1% (+1)

Changes are with what each party got in the 2019 General Election.

Take it with a pinch of salt, because the sample size was only ~500, but that's not stopping a lot of Labour types demanding Keir/Keith is axed... and in fairness to the Corbynistas, it's no longer just them!

Labour better be hoping there isn't anymore by-elections at this rate even their safest seats would be up for grabs. No more brexit party to split the vote and NIP to Syphon a 1000 or so votes off of labour, not to mention Starmers unpopularity.

They lose Hartlepool they fall to 201 seats. Before the next election you could realistically see labour dip below 200 seats.

It's a permanent Tory majority . I think the next non-conservative party majority will be some off-shoot party split from the Tories combined with what remains of labour. Probably in 20 years.

1 hour ago, the_engineer said:

Labour better be hoping there isn't anymore by-elections at this rate even their safest seats would be up for grabs. No more brexit party to split the vote and NIP to Syphon a 1000 or so votes off of labour, not to mention Starmers unpopularity.

They lose Hartlepool they fall to 201 seats. Before the next election you could realistically see labour dip below 200 seats.

It's a permanent Tory majority . I think the next non-conservative party majority will be some off-shoot party split from the Tories combined with what remains of labour. Probably in 20 years.

To be honest, I’m genuinely shocked that most of that Brexit Party vote is now going to the Tories. The post-election analysis suggested that their vote by-in-large was Labour Leavers who wouldn’t vote Tory. Maybe a combination of the fact that Brexit was delivered, the successful vaccine programme and more folk seeing other northern places voting Tory giving them enough encouragement to do the same now. Bodes really badly for the Labour Party for the future. Wales is now also crumbling from their hands. 14/40 seats there now Tory but a further 8 seats were within 6% of coming to them in 2019, and now polling for the Tories in Wales has gone up further still. Lab are in danger of only being relevant in large metropolitan areas like London or Manchester. I can’t quite explain it either, it’s truly bizarre.

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

To be honest, I’m genuinely shocked that most of that Brexit Party vote is now going to the Tories. 

I'm not, because apparently in their cross tabs the total number of Brexit Party 2019 voters polled in this thing was...13!

13 people weighting 1/4th of a polling which is already underpolled for numbers is a bit shit.

Just pointing out you can't use this poll to determine where Brexit votes will go - I do however agree that Labour are in deep trouble here, which is a separate issue.

• Like 1