Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

Prominent supporter of Jeremy Corbyn  journalist Ash Sarkar  being very vocal about how she won't vote for Labour while Keir Starmer is leader of the party.  

59 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think the next general election will result in another torturous  hung parliament.  Not sure who will be the biggest party but the combination of the tories  losing a certain amount of support and popularity but Labour not quite being popular  enough to win a majority  will result in a very unusual election result. 

If I am right a third hung parliament in less than 15 years might point towards our politics becoming more like the US were things are finally balanced or closely split as a nation between two main parties and every political battle or election is high stakes and quite bitter and angry?

We shall see!!

I agree.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TQR said:

Satire = punching up, not down.

Only when it's actually funny.

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I get your point.

The real issue is that, if we vote them out of office, who the fuck do we replace them with? 

That is my point, we can rip another hole in the arse of this government forever and a day but we seem to be focused on them without pulling apart the utterly woeful shite that sits across from them. 

Are we saying that there is no point battering them equally?

They all deserve a good kick in but we don't seem to be overly interested in doing so on here.

...and just to clarify, there are a few on here, not you, who seem to spend way to much time telling us all how fucked we all are and how much of a cunt Boris and his bestest friends are.

We fucking KNOW that, change the bastard record!

Trust me, I run the house budget, I know that one! 

I can call him a cunt more often if you'd like. Therapeutic. :D

As for why him and not others, I can only speak for myself. Oppositions are mostly navel gazing debating societies, as useful as a chocolate teapot. (They're also really good at battering themselves to bits, as you may have noticed!) Governments are where power and responsibility lies. A government which promotes damaging policies is much worse than an opposition talking bollocks. Any time someone new becomes PM, they start with a clean sheet for me and rapidly move with their actions in office (because history is full of, for example, Great Chancellors who were shit Prime Ministers and vice versa). If Keir Starmer becomes Prime Minister, he'll start the same, and be judged appropriately. It's the political system we've got. I've no time for the anarchist view that if everyone stops voting we can tear up the system and create Utopia, in the real world we have actual people to help. (And even if you are a own bootstraps kind of person, that is reliant on the government not shooting their own economy in the foot, like Rishi Sunak, who is also a cunt btw (:D) is alleged to have done with his sheer useless incompetence.) Churchill said during WW2, on proposing an alliance with Stalin to the horror of his own benches, that if Hitler invaded Hell, he'd provide a favourable reference for the Devil! That's roughly my view when it comes to crap governments and their only alternative! 

But that is just me, other views are available. 

Anyhow, you do know I come here to get AWAY from politics? :lol:

But that said...

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think the next general election will result in another torturous  hung parliament.  Not sure who will be the biggest party but the combination of the tories  losing a certain amount of support and popularity but Labour not quite being popular  enough to win a majority  will result in a very unusual election result. 

If I am right a third hung parliament in less than 15 years might point towards our politics becoming more like the US were things are finally balanced or closely split as a nation between two main parties and every political battle or election is high stakes and quite bitter and angry?

We shall see!!

If this financial crisis goes on for 2 years the government is FUCKED. More fucked than the people in your recently shagged thread, mate.

But for the record, I hope it bloody well doesn't go on for much longer, because I fucking live here. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Only when it's actually funny.

That’s subjective.

Just wait a couple or three years; you might enjoy it more then.

12 minutes ago, TQR said:

That’s subjective.

Just wait a couple or three years; you might enjoy it more then.

I have better things to do tbh, we all have, surely?

I've been getting quite into anarchist economics recently and arrived at the conclusion that the abolition of money is the answer to all of our problems.

While we're at it, the abolition of international borders would solve the 'problem' of illegal immigrants.:)

As for Starmer, utterly hopeless and as unelectable as his three predecessors.  

15 minutes ago, msc said:

Trust me, I run the house budget, I know that one! 

I can call him a cunt more often if you'd like. Therapeutic. :D

As for why him and not others, I can only speak for myself. Oppositions are mostly navel gazing debating societies, as useful as a chocolate teapot. (They're also really good at battering themselves to bits, as you may have noticed!) Governments are where power and responsibility lies. A government which promotes damaging policies is much worse than an opposition talking bollocks. Any time someone new becomes PM, they start with a clean sheet for me and rapidly move with their actions in office (because history is full of, for example, Great Chancellors who were shit Prime Ministers and vice versa). If Keir Starmer becomes Prime Minister, he'll start the same, and be judged appropriately. It's the political system we've got. I've no time for the anarchist view that if everyone stops voting we can tear up the system and create Utopia, in the real world we have actual people to help. (And even if you are a own bootstraps kind of person, that is reliant on the government not shooting their own economy in the foot, like Rishi Sunak, who is also a cunt btw (:D) is alleged to have done with his sheer useless incompetence.) Churchill said during WW2, on proposing an alliance with Stalin to the horror of his own benches, that if Hitler invaded Hell, he'd provide a favourable reference for the Devil! That's roughly my view when it comes to crap governments and their only alternative! 

But that is just me, other views are available. 

Anyhow, you do know I come here to get AWAY from politics? :lol:

But that said...

If this financial crisis goes on for 2 years the government is FUCKED. More fucked than the people in your recently shagged thread, mate.

But for the record, I hope it bloody well doesn't go on for much longer, because I fucking live here. 

No, no, I like you just the way you are, thanks.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I've been getting quite into anarchist economics recently and arrived at the conclusion that the abolition of money is the answer to all of our problems.

While we're at it, the abolition of international borders would solve the 'problem' of illegal immigrants.:)

You are ok.

You have a tractor, livestock and/or fruit/veg to eat.

What about the rest of us!!!!

16 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You are ok.

You have a tractor, livestock and/or fruit/veg to eat.

What about the rest of us!!!!

Can you not barter your skills, or pass on your knowledge and wisdom in exchange for a roast chicken?

10 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Can you not barter your skills, or pass on your knowledge and wisdom in exchange for a roast chicken?

Well, no.

I'm going to starve to death then.:(

I think Boris should be given a fresh start post Partygate and should be judged on his promises, truth, and follow through. I think he has probably followed through a couple  of times already, given the state of affairs. Although a student of classics he has the qualities of someone who has studied PPE, pots pans excrement, the shit does not stick. 

7 hours ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

I think Boris should be given a fresh start post Partygate and should be judged on his promises, truth, and follow through. I think he has probably followed through a couple  of times already, given the state of affairs. Although a student of classics he has the qualities of someone who has studied PPE, pots pans excrement, the shit does not stick. 

Post-Partygate, he has reneged on an international agreement he signed barely 2 years ago, been told his Rwanda is morally reprehensible and also possibly illegal (but won't wait to find out before enacting it) and has seen his ethics adviser quit citing his readiness to break the Ministerial code over trade policy. Four more years!

On 15/06/2022 at 19:32, DevonDeathTrip said:

I simply refuse to accept that David Cameron or Boris Johnson are more deserving of high public office than Gordon Brown, Keir Starmer or even Ed Miliband. I become more and more convinced that this country does, in fact, get the government it deserves. If they're going to keep voting for them, well good luck to them.

• Like 4

Susie Dent nails it again.

ttps://whynow.co.uk/read/susie-dents-top-tens-10-types-of-government

A selection:

empleomania

It is rather inexplicable that this word from the 19th century ever fell out of use. Put simply, empleomania is the manic desire to hold public office, no matter what the cost.

snollygoster

On to the individuals involved in any of these administrations, and ‘snollygoster’ is surely one of the best. Described in the dictionary as a ‘shrewd, unprincipled person, especially in politics’, it offers a highly useful name for someone who pursues office entirely for their own gain rather than anyone else’s.

throttlebottom

There is something so comical and wobbly about ‘throttlebottom’ that it’s hard to see anything bad in it. Nonetheless, this word describes a thoroughly incompetent and bumbling person in a public role, and crossed over into general use from the musical comedy Of Thee I Sing, in which the Vice-Presidential candidate Alexander Throttlebottom is of so little importance that no one can quite remember who he is.

corumpent

In the 14th century, anyone who behaved fraudulently in public life would have been called ‘corrumpent’, from the Latin cor, ‘altogether’, and rumpere, ‘to break or destroy’. These were the breakers of laws they themselves helped to install, thereby making those laws utterly meaningless. 

stiffrump

It seems as though every institution has at least one stiffrump. This term from the 18th century describes a haughty individual who obstinately refuses to budge, no matter how hard they are pushed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Assuming that the Tories lose both by-elections today it does not automatically mean curtains for the Fat Lardy.

He (under the current rules) be challenged again for 12 months but if one (or more) of his cabinet colleagues resigned it would but severe pressure on him and those who see their majorities evaporating at the next GE might push for some form of change.

However the current cabinet is chock full of talentless, charismaless, self-serving, intellectually challenged bastards I cannot think of one who would either give up a job they know they could never dream of under any other leader (Dorres, Patel, Raab) or be afraid of the Heseltine rule (Truss, Sunak, Zahawi) which leaves very few options - Javid has resigned once before and nobody cared, Ben Wallace is probably in the best role he can be at the moment and hasn't made too many blunders, his resignation would be massive but not probably the best thing at the moment. Once you get outside the big rolls there are very few who people would actually think mattered so following this analysis I think the best person from the cabinet to resign to bring about the removal of Johnson would be..........

.......Kwasi Kwarteng

Thoughts?

• Like 3

We could be looking at the first time the Tories have lost two by-election seats on the same day since the start of Noel's House Party.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

We could be looking at the first time the Tories have lost two by-election seats on the same day since the start of Noel's House Party.

I am just saying Mr Blobby and Boris Johnson have never been seen at the same time!!!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am just saying Mr Blobby and Boris Johnson have never been seen at the same time!!!

*checks to see if Mr Blobby has been seen in Kigali, or Kyev (I still say Kiev) or indeed anywhere that isn't Wakefield, Honiton or Tiverton* :D

• Like 1

Saying this now at nearly 1am with the counts underway but no results yet that I think they'll lose Wakefield but hold on to Tiverton and Honiton narrowly. Hope I'll be proved wrong but never doubt the shy Tories. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Assuming that the Tories lose both by-elections today it does not automatically mean curtains for the Fat Lardy.

He (under the current rules) be challenged again for 12 months but if one (or more) of his cabinet colleagues resigned it would but severe pressure on him and those who see their majorities evaporating at the next GE might push for some form of change.

However the current cabinet is chock full of talentless, charismaless, self-serving, intellectually challenged bastards I cannot think of one who would either give up a job they know they could never dream of under any other leader (Dorres, Patel, Raab) or be afraid of the Heseltine rule (Truss, Sunak, Zahawi) which leaves very few options - Javid has resigned once before and nobody cared, Ben Wallace is probably in the best role he can be at the moment and hasn't made too many blunders, his resignation would be massive but not probably the best thing at the moment. Once you get outside the big rolls there are very few who people would actually think mattered so following this analysis I think the best person from the cabinet to resign to bring about the removal of Johnson would be..........

.......Kwasi Kwarteng

Thoughts?

It is party chairman Oliver Dowden who has resigned.  'Sleep walking to defeat/something has to change"

Just the first?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

It is party chairman Oliver Dowden who has resigned.  'Sleep walking to defeat/something has to change"

Just the first?

Hope so. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Just the first?

So I was wrong! A 24,000 majority turned into a loss by 6,000 - that's not even that marginal (accepting the fact lots of Tories stayed home and turnout was low).

Amused me to see Dowden resign and say "someone has to take responsibility". How many people is that now who have resigned to save the blond narcissist? Chris Mason has noted that nowhere in his resignation letter does he back Johnson, he's remaining silent when asked and the 1922 Committee are getting antsy...

• Like 3

@RoverAndOut I'll admit to being stunned by the extent of the results. Labour won Wakefield easily on a swing large enough to hunt a majority down. But Tiverton. Bloody hell. No Tory with a liberal challenger is safe. Not Rees-mogg. Not Theresa May. Especially not Dominic Raab. 

This was proper the public are fed up with a government and want rid by any means stuff. We haven't seen that in well over a decade.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, msc said:

@RoverAndOut I'll admit to being stunned by the extent of the results. Labour won Wakefield easily on a swing large enough to hunt a majority down. But Tiverton. Bloody hell. No Tory with a liberal challenger is safe. Not Rees-mogg. Not Theresa May. Especially not Dominic Raab. 

This was proper the public are fed up with a government and want rid by any means stuff. We haven't seen that in well over a decade.

This smacks to me of the 1992-97 administration but there is a huge difference

John Major didn't expect to win in 1992 and was sat on a slim majority

Johnson gamed the 2019 election which gave him a parliamentary majority but without a huge popular vote. However they have both faced challenges on the world stage but most of Johnson's biggest problems are self inflicted and could only be avoided by Johnson not being himself. He is determined to carry on regardless so it falls to the cabinet to remove him as the 1922 committee has failed but that could look like an unholy civil war

• Like 1